OFFICIAL LDRS 42- urrg.us

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SPECIAL OFFER FOR TRF-ERS

Come find me and say "hi" any time Friday or Saturday and I will give you a cool OpenRocket range sticker (if you ask nicely I'll give you two ;))

You're looking for this guy:
View attachment 647002
I'll have a badge with my TRF avatar hanging off me somewhere.

And you shall get one (or two) of these:
View attachment 647003

Hope to see you there!
I'll likely see you at the RSO table once or twice.. I'll ask then! :D

I'll be the guy with the very english French accent..

SPECIAL OFFER FOR TRF-ERS

Come find me and say "hi" any time Friday or Saturday and I will give you a cool OpenRocket range sticker (if you ask nicely I'll give you two ;))

You're looking for this guy:
View attachment 647002
I'll have a badge with my TRF avatar hanging off me somewhere.

And you shall get one (or two) of these:
View attachment 647003

Hope to see you there!

For sure! I’ll look you up at LDRS!

Hope you guys come on by. Ill be with the BFRs. Look for a silver and black Big Nuke 3E and I'll have my LOC 5.5" Bullet with the Bajan flag on display all weekend. It's the first to get the 54mm mount. I found out that after mine was made, there was a very short run of what I have.

10 DAY COUNTDOWN
LDRS is now 10 days away.
Here are a few reminders.

• YES you can register on the field
  • YES swag - t-shirts, banquet tickets, pins, patches, hats will be available to purchase
  • PLEASE sign up for a volunteer shift or 2, this will allow for everyone to have a chance to fly. There are all types of volunteer jobs and we will teach you everything you need to know. (I will give descriptions in a separate post)
  • SUNSCREEN
  • There will be food vendors
  • Extra shoes
See you all soon!!

LDRS 42 Volunteer Opportunities
I promise that there is something for everyone.

• Roving BFR RSO Manager
  • Travels about the flyer's tent areas on a provided ATV. They frequent and communicate with the BFR flyers as they prep. They do BFR/L3 safety checks. When the flyers are ready they Radio for a transporter assistant for transport to the away towers​
  • Away Cell Pad Manager
    Communicates with The Oasis Ranger Boss. Assist Flyers working the Towers and Pads
  • BFR Assistant Transporter 1
    Operate a provided transport vehicle to move the projects out to the away cells. As BFR Roving RSO Manager requests transport you'll travel with an ATV or provided truck to Assist the flyers in transporting the BFRs to Away Cells.
  • BFR Assistant Transporter 2
    Operate a provided transport vehicle to move the projects out to the away cells. As BFR Roving RSO Manager requests transport you'll travel with an ATV or provided truck to Assist the flyers in transporting the BFRs to Away Cells.
  • BFR Assistant Transporter 4
  • FSO Field Safety Officer
    We are the ones responsible for safety checking rockets. You evaluate rockets for a high likelihood of a successful flight. You sit under a tent. You must by at least a L2 flyer. If you are not L2, you should sign upper the FSO Assistant
  • FSO Field Safety Officer Assistant
    The FSO Assistant insects "LP" rockets and assist with larger rockets, working alongside the FSO. We weigh rockets and determine if it has the correct thrust to weight ratio. This is a fun job and you get to see all the rockets before they fly!
  • High Power Pad (2)
    High Power Pad Manager 1&2: Works as a team to assist loading large rockets on the L1/L2 HPR pads, maintain proper launch rail angles and make sure used igniter’s are properly disposed
  • High Power Manager (1)
    High Power Pad Manager 1&2: Works as a team to assist loading large rockets on the L1/L2 HPR pads, maintain proper launch rail angles and make sure used igniter’s are properly disposed
  • LCO Assistant/Spotter
    The LCO Assistant organizes flight Cards handed off by the Range Boss. They generally help the LCO keep the launch flowing, and watch of falling rockets. This is a great way to start volunteering!
  • LCO Launch Control Officer
    The person with the Mic that we all see and hear at the Launch. The LCO maintains the pace, does all the announcing, makes sure the sky is clear of people, field clear of People and falling Debris. Best for those with prior Experience as an LCO
  • Low Power Pad Manager
    The LPR pad manager position assists with installing LP rockets on the pads (Many times helping children), keeps the range clean by making sure the igniters end up in the trash buckets. Great job to see young and older flyers just looking to have fun
  • Oasis BFR Range Boss
    Oversee and delegate Away Cells to Flyers, Coordinate with the Away Pad Manager. This position will be at the Away Cell Tent at the "Oasis"
  • Range Boss
    The Range Boss assigns pads at the range head. for L1/L2 and smaller L3 flights. The Range Boss opens and closes the left and right ranges when full and works with the LCO to get them the flight cards too keep the rocket launch flowing
  • Registration
    Check in pre registered flyers, process on site registration, verify that all fliers posses a valid TRA or NAR membership and certification & sign TRA waiver liability form. Sell apparel and direct flyers requests . Bring a Smile!
  • Registration Assistant
    Be the second hand at the registration tent for all aspects. A really great job for those who have not yet been in a leadership role to see the inner workings of a big event.
  • Traffic Monitor - Entrance
    Make sure that those driving in and attending, park in the proper areas. The monitor at the entrance is under tent and supplied ample water! We great people and explain where to go and remind everyone that there is a 5MPH speed limit.
  • Traffic Monitor/Parking
    This is a tented post where people are entering the parking area.The flyers and spectators are directed on where to park and any questions are answered. This is a great place to start volunteering. Easy and Fun!
  • Field Take Down
    Those Launch Pads don't put themselves Away. We added 5 Positions on Monday as we always have some residual cleanup left from Sundays clean up
    https://urrg.us/content.aspx?page_id=2664&club_id=453409

Hi Team.

Thanks for the feedback related to the raffle and some of the issues mentioned.
We realize so many have spent a lot on tickets and looking for the best chances to win the prize they desire.

We reviewed our past practices and have decided to do the raffle as follows which will be most helpful to those participating.

1 On Thursday morning all the containers for prizes individually will be placed on the raffle table similar to a basket raffle, smaller prizes may be listed on one bucket and when won they will be marked off the label.

2 Once an item is drawn that item will no longer be listed or available on the raffle table.
Example you don't see the bucket for an item you wanted and realize maybe it was drawn earlier like Thursday and you showed up Friday, any buckets that are on the table haven't been drawn yet and any buckets on the table with remaining listed items on it you can have confidence that you will be in those items draw.

The schedule for the raffle items will be available. Chronologically Thursday through Sunday Noon.

3 As the items are drawn and announced at the LCO table, the number will then be written on the erase board at the Registration tent as in past years.
Everyone will be informed to continually take a look at the board as in rocketry we all know we are not always in earshot of the announcements or maybe off the field on a recovery.

4 Once a prize is claimed we will write the winner's name on the erase board after the listed number so there's a running list of winners and any numbers listed without names are still waiting to be claimed. The final list will be preserved for later publication in the Rocketeer as we like to keep everything transparent and fun to see who won what.

5 Realizing many go out for recovery and some don't return until the field closes down for that day. We will wait until 11 the next day to see if all the prizes from the prior day have been claimed. If not claimed at 11 am the next day, we will draw another ticket from the original bucket and repeat the process.

6 The only change to this will be on Sunday, when due to people wrapping it up and the event winding down, we don't have the time to wait very long.
Sunday all raffles remaining will be done before noon including re announcing items not claimed. Those items drawn Sunday morning will be redrawn 15 minutes after the first draw if not claimed. Those prizes hanging over from Saturday will be at 11 am as done on the other days.

I hope this helps everyone, we really want the raffle to be as fair as possible and want you all getting the best shot at the prizes you want.

Thanks,
Larry Weibert
Launch Director

I'd like to do my level 2 cert (NAR) at LDRS. Test is done. Is there anything I can do in advance (like rocket build review) in advance of LDRS to smooth the process and reduce everyone's time? Anyone I should contact?

Hi Mars Lander. No problem we can help you with that. TRA will have a tent with merchandise and support to handle any TRA certs just for the record if anyone is planning a TRA CERTIFICATION.
As far as NAR goes there will be plenty of us that can help manage that. Just have the rocket ready to be inspected and well get you through it. Ask for Larry ill be happy to help.

Hi Team.

We realize so many have spent a lot on tickets and looking for the best chances to win the prize they desire.

We reviewed our past practices and have decided to do the raffle as follows which will be most helpful to those participating.

1 On Thursday morning all the containers for prizes individually will be placed on the raffle table similar to a basket raffle, smaller prizes may be listed on one bucket and when won they will be marked off the label.

2 Once an item is drawn that item will no longer be listed or available on the raffle table.
Example you don't see the bucket for an item you wanted and realize maybe it was drawn earlier like Thursday and you showed up Friday, any buckets that are on the table haven't been drawn yet and any buckets on the table with remaining listed items on it you can have confidence that you will be in those items draw.

The schedule for the raffle items will be available. Chronologically Thursday through Sunday Noon.

3 As the items are drawn and announced at the LCO table, the number will then be written on the erase board at the Registration tent as in past years.
Everyone will be informed to continually take a look at the board as in rocketry we all know we are not always in earshot of the announcements or maybe off the field on a recovery.

4 Once a prize is claimed we will write the winner's name on the erase board after the listed number so there's a running list of winners and any numbers listed without names are still waiting to be claimed. The final list will be preserved for later publication in the Rocketeer as we like to keep everything transparent and fun to see who won what.

5 Realizing many go out for recovery and some don't return until the field closes down for that day. We will wait until 11 the next day to see if all the prizes from the prior day have been claimed. If not claimed at 11 am the next day, we will draw another ticket from the original bucket and repeat the process.

6 The only change to this will be on Sunday, when due to people wrapping it up and the event winding down, we don't have the time to wait very long.
Sunday all raffles remaining will be done before noon including re announcing items not claimed. Those items drawn Sunday morning will be redrawn 15 minutes after the first draw if not claimed. Those prizes hanging over from Saturday will be at 11 am as done on the other days.

I hope this helps everyone, we really want the raffle to be as fair as possible and want you all getting the best shot at the prizes you want.

Thanks,
Larry Weibert
Launch Director
Outstanding. Thanks for the clarification Larry.

Larry, to clarify:
(I know you are tired at this point!)
  • All buckets for all prizes will be on the table on Thursday.
  • All buckets will have a draw date, so we know when each is being drawn..
  • Winning tickets will be announced, then posted to claim., Once claimed, the name is added to the board to denote the winner. Claimants have until 11am the following day to claim their prize - except on Sunday.
  • Unclaimed prizes will be put back into the pool on Sunday.

As each bucket / prize is drawn, it is removed from the table; the qty of buckets reduces each day.. So, Sunday morning will see only a few buckets left..

does that sound right?

being sarcastic.. making a joke... pulling your leg..

Sorry for the mis-confusion....

for all:

I would assume the merch prices will be the same as online.. I assume they need to cut things off at a particular time so they can sit & organize our 'swag bags'. You'll see at registration, when you show up, they ask for your name then cross it off the 'attendance' list. They will then hand you a bag / envelope with the event basics* and the particular stuff you bought / requested [shirts, pins, BBQ ticket, raffle tickets, etc..] The event organizers will be taking the next few days doing this. (and they have hundreds to fill, so let's all be nice if they forgot something..)

There is typically a "flyers meeting" every morning, then the National Anthem, then pads are open!!
The field may be closed on a particular day, due to rain. this kills the field (mud mush, cars get stuck, etc..) till it dries. Don't bitch about it, we're all in the same boat.. Go visit a winery instead...

* basic items usually:
  • lanyard & event tag
  • flight cards
  • pen
  • garbage bag
  • Newsletter: list of rules & regs / event schedule / map of area - that sort of thing
  • and sometimes something special for the event: sticker, water bottle, patch, J420-R, etc..

being sarcastic.. making a joke... pulling your leg..

Sorry for the mis-confusion....

for all:

I would assume the merch prices will be the same as online.. I assume they need to cut things off at a particular time so they can sit & organize our 'swag bags'. You'll see at registration, when you show up, they ask for your name then cross it off the 'attendance' list. They will then hand you a bag / envelope with the event basics* and the particular stuff you bought / requested [shirts, pins, BBQ ticket, raffle tickets, etc..] The event organizers will be taking the next few days doing this. (and they have hundreds to fill, so let's all be nice if they forgot something..)

There is typically a "flyers meeting" every morning, then the National Anthem, then pads are open!!
The field may be closed on a particular day, due to rain. this kills the field (mud mush, cars get stuck, etc..) till it dries. Don't bitch about it, we're all in the same boat.. Go visit a winery instead...

* basic items usually:
  • lanyard & event tag
  • flight cards
  • pen
  • garbage bag
  • Newsletter: list of rules & regs / event schedule / map of area - that sort of thing
  • and sometimes something special for the event: sticker, water bottle, patch, J420-R, etc..
A J420 is some seriously nice swag! 😂😂😂

Larry, to clarify:
  • Winning tickets will be announced, then posted to claim., Once claimed, the name is added to the board to denote the winner. Claimants have until 11am the following day to claim their prize - except on Sunday.

As each bucket / prize is drawn, it is removed from the table; the qty of buckets reduces each day.. So, Sunday morning will see only a few buckets left..

does that sound right?
Paul that about sums it up. The unclaimed numbers will be listed on the white board as well so all you have to do if not always in ear shot of the LCO is check at registration now and then and see if an unclaimed number is one you're holding.
There should be no reason why anyone doesn't get the prize they won unless they don't ck at least each morning at the reg tent before 11 am. You snooze you lose.
The separate buckets other than small prizes gives everyone the opportunity to use only tickets on what they want to win. Its a great process Sherri Tennies developed from years of what worked and what didn't. Don Tennies was one of our prior presidents and his wife Sherri carried a heavy torch for the club. Morgan now carries it and as the club grew that torch has gotten heavier.
As they say it's all good.

I bought a lot of tickets in hopes to win a rocket I'll never have time to fly. Now wait a minute did I say that.

Hi Team.

Thanks,
Larry Weibert
Launch Director
All wonderful..
Thank you for the clarification Larry..
I'm very sorry to all.
I was not aware that this raffle wasn't done as all others I've seen.
I am truly sorry for my mistake.
As they say, you can't know what you don't know, lol..
All good.
Just review what Larry took the time to write up and the raffle is huge killer..
Enjoy it..

Larry, to clarify:

does that sound right?
Thank you for writing this up Paul..
Larry, would you check this line from Paul and verify..

Thanks all..

6 days to roll..

Teddy

Teddy

I am getting to the end of my LDRS prep and I am very excited. I have two range questions/request. One of my "BFR" flights is a LOC LaserLoc on an L1000. I am expecting a tad over 10,000 ft and according to the range rules, it needs to fly at one of the far away cells. Is there going to be a 1010 rail out there? It is a fairly small rocket for those pads and I want to check in advance.

Also I plan to fly a TriStar built long before the days of rails and it needs a 1/2" rod. A friend may bring my 1/2" rod but if not does the club have any 1/2" rods. (Edit, I saw the club does not have a 1/2" rod. I assume it is okay to bring one?)

Thanks, Alex

Last edited:
I am getting to the end of my LDRS prep and I am very excited. I have two range questions/request. One of my "BFR" flights is a LOC LaserLoc on an L1000. I am expecting a tad over 10,000 ft and according to the range rules, it needs to fly at one of the far away cells. Is there going to be a 1010 rail out there? It is a fairly small rocket for those pads and I want to check in advance.

Also I plan to fly a TriStar built long before the days of rails and it needs a 1/2" rod. A friend may bring my 1/2" rod but if not does the club have any 1/2" rods.

Thanks, Alex

We will have multiple pads at each Away Cell location and ensure that there is at least a 1010, 1515 and Unistrut option at all racks. We anticipate a lot of minimum diameter 10,500+ft flights, so there will plenty of opportunities to launch any kind of rocket from the away cells.

For 1/2" rods, I defer to @Larry W, @Jason Monroe or @EXPjawa

Last edited:
Hey Guys/Gals...looking forward to seeing longtime friends and making new friends. Is there a cross reference anywhere that indicates real names with these "screen names"?

Back