Not your average Mean machine build thread (sidekick)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am attaching them at different points along the shock cord to minimize entanglement.

Attachments

• 20200421_091700.jpg
    20200421_091700.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 18
Very cool! You've thought out all the details here. Now, what are you going to name it?
Very cool! You've thought out all the details here. Now, what are you going to name it?
I had a suggestion of Fire and Ice and paint one side red with flames and one side blue. I thought a flag scheme would be nice. One side red and white stripes and the other blue with white stars.

Don't mind the doofy looking guy in the pic, but I wanted a pic with me for reference.

Attachments

• 20200421_093849.jpg
    20200421_093849.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 75
That's awesome, I'm sure whatever paint scheme you use will look great

I happily admit to being wrong about the small fins. Love that double flame tail on liftoff.

It looks like it landed on a road/path, is it ok?

That's awesome, I'm sure whatever paint scheme you use will look great

I happily admit to being wrong about the small fins. Love that double flame tail on liftoff.

It looks like it landed on a road/path, is it ok?
It landed in the grass just on the other side of the path. It could not have gone better. Flew straight, nice and slow and loud and perfect chute deployment. Now I can paint it.

Well that was all kinds of awesome. Two days from start of thread to flight video!

I confess I shared Nytrunner's nervousness about the fin size, and still retain a wee bit of concern when it flies with the weight of two D12s back there.

But this is really great. I wouldn't be surprised if there are others out there who'd be keen to replicate this if you made those rings available.

I'm also thinking this would be an interesting way to make a Deuce-like rocket, if you cant each motor outwards a bit, to get the cleaner dual smoke trail.

In any case, great work.

Well that was all kinds of awesome. Two days from start of thread to flight video!

Yeah!

Regarding the fins, I think that both the additional strake in front of the fins helps, as well as the drag from the external rings. The added drag stability would be hard to simulate, but I bet that the original Estes design had a very healthy stability margin. I'm optimistic that it will probably fine on D12s.

I confess I shared Nytrunner's nervousness about the fin size, and still retain a wee bit of concern when it flies with the weight of two D12s back there.

But this is really great. I wouldn't be surprised if there are others out there who'd be keen to replicate this if you made those rings available.

I'm also thinking this would be an interesting way to make a Deuce-like rocket, if you cant each motor outwards a bit, to get the cleaner dual smoke trail.

In any case, great work.
I actually had started the build a couple of days before I started the thread. I will have to get some D12-5's and try it out. Actually the flight on the C11's was very nice for the area I fly from.

Yeah!

Regarding the fins, I think that both the additional strake in front of the fins helps, as well as the drag from the external rings. The added drag stability would be hard to simulate, but I bet that the original Estes design had a very healthy stability margin. I'm optimistic that it will probably fine on D12s.
The drag from the rings is something I have always wondered about. I don't think there is a way to simulate it. I was a bit worried that it would severely limit the height on the C11's. Turns out there was nothing to worry about.

Now that was unbelievably fast! Did you hand paint it? I can't imagine getting all the masking and drying done in a day otherwise
This is what I use. Started primer at 4 and done by about 10pm. Yesterday was perfect for painting. 70 degrees and no humidity.

Attachments

• 20200421_162150.jpg
    20200421_162150.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 32
This is what I use. Started primer at 4 and done by about 10pm. Yesterday was perfect for painting. 70 degrees and no humidity.

Amazing, how long did you wait before masking a coat?

I've used 2X and frog tape for awhile and have gotten very poor results if I try to manipulate the paint surface before it's had the time to cure fully

Amazing, how long did you wait before masking a coat?

I've used 2X and frog tape for awhile and have gotten very poor results if I try to manipulate the paint surface before it's had the time to cure fully
Mine was ready in about an hour to do masking. Did the white then masked the stars and shot the blue. About another 1 - 1.5 hours masked for the red and shot that. Let it dry until about 10 and put the clear on it.
I use a couple of light coats and they dry quickly.

Mine was ready in about an hour to do masking. Did the white then masked the stars and shot the blue. About another 1 - 1.5 hours masked for the red and shot that. Let it dry until about 10 and put the clear on it.
I use a couple of light coats and they dry quickly.
This is the craziest thing I will read all day, and it won't even be close.

And nowadays that it is really saying something.

To be clear - it's not that I don't believe it. That just has never worked for me. Would love to watch it up close to see what the difference is in technique. Maybe I'm just laying it on way too thick.
Did the test flight with no paint at 9:30 in the morning. Went to home depot at about 3pm to buy paint and started painting around 4pm.👍

Actually, I took this pic at 4:21 just before I started with primer. You can see the bare rocket in the background.

Attachments

• 20200421_162150.jpg
    20200421_162150.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 16
Back