Northeast of Atlanta, GA?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mushtang

Premium Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is there anyone in the Gwinnett Co area that would like to fly some rockets with me on Wed, April 4th?

I took some vacation days for something else that now isn't going to happen, so I think I'll keep that day off for flying some new rockets. Hopefully the weather will be good for it.

I've got a few new ones I've built that I want to fly for the first time: Dr Zooch's Vostok, an Estes Hyper-Bat, and an Estes SR-71 Blackbird. I'll also have a few that I've flown before.

If you're local and can spend the day flying, please reply here or PM me!!!

Be careful with launching on park land in Gwinett County. They have a specific ordinance against "projectiles" and their interpretation means no rockets.

If you have access to private land, please go to www.soarrocketry.org and send a contact note. SoAR has a raft of people in your area that would love to fly with you.

If you're adventurous, SoAR has a hi-power launch this weekend in Lilly, Ga. (2500' x 2500' sod, 5000 ft waiver (again, see www.soarrocketry.org).

Be careful with launching on park land in Gwinett County. They have a specific ordinance against "projectiles" and their interpretation means no rockets.

If you have access to private land, please go to www.soarrocketry.org and send a contact note. SoAR has a raft of people in your area that would love to fly with you.

If you're adventurous, SoAR has a hi-power launch this weekend in Lilly, Ga. (2500' x 2500' sod, 5000 ft waiver (again, see www.soarrocketry.org).

I wouldn't want to fly in their parks anyway, much too crowded, but thanks for the warning. I've only flown in abandoned neighborhoods so far - where the streets are paved but no houses are built and no trees around.

Lily is way too far for me to get to this weekend but I would love to attend a Soar launch someday. I've been looking at their site hoping my schedule would allow it, but so far it hasn't.

Thanks!!

They recently changed the ordinance using stronger language. "It's unlawful..." :(

Do you know anything about their process, and how/why they decided on the stronger language?

Unfortunately I don't. Every year I look at their park guidance to see if they would every provide any insight into the location of the designated areas (the ordinance previously mentioned "prohibited except in designated areas") and noticed the change.

I really hope the weather allows me to fly next week. I'm really starting to get the bug to go out and fly the new rockets!!!

One person so far has said they'd like to join me. Any other locals want to go?

The only place I know that's a good place to fly is an abandoned neighborhood out in Alpharetta (my brother lives out there and showed it to me). But I'd much prefer a closer location if anyone can make a suggestion.

You might want to try joining the SoARChat group on Yahoo! Groups. That is our "guest" communications channel (until I pick out the right forum software for the SoAR website). There are still a number of SoAR members that don't spend too much time here on TRF.

You might want to try joining the SoARChat group on Yahoo! Groups. That is our "guest" communications channel (until I pick out the right forum software for the SoAR website). There are still a number of SoAR members that don't spend too much time here on TRF.

Roy
I tried to join the group and got rejected. You SoAR folks are a picky bunch! :tongue:

Back