Greetings from Coastal Virginia - Second Return to Rocketry at Age 60

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Simkins

Reaction score
A neighborhood friend from 5th grade (1973) introduced me to model rocketry while I was living in upstate New York. The bug bit hard when, after moving to a town to the east (same state) in 1974, I got an Estes Der Red Max starter kit.

From 1975 to 1979, with a move to South Carolina in 1977 and starting 9th grade, the hobby filled the holes of any days not consumed by school, homework or family outings. I didn't have a regular job to fund my hobby, but I learned early that Estes had a Design of the Month contest that paid $75 in merchandise for the winning design. I have a creative streak (artist mom) and I was pretty handy with mechanical drawing (engineering dad). Dad supplied me with quality drafting paper and drawings tools. I bought the NAR Handbook of Model Rocketry, and I learned how to test for stability. I entered five designs (mostly deep space concept ideas) from '77 to '79, two won Design of the Month and three won honorable mentions--$25 in merchandise for each I think. Those paid for kits, motors, and launching equipment until I started working and preparing for a college degree in Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineering.

The hobby took a back seat during my time at the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana from 1981 to 1985. I donated a lot of what I had accumulated to a local school before graduation, but kept my original designs and a few of my favorite kit builds. And it continued to sit while I worked for the Air Force in information technology, found the love of my life and married her, and started a family.

My first return to rocketry began with my oldest son in 1997 when he was six. I also had a friend with young boys who was also getting into it. We had some great fun, and a passion for rocket gliders and piggy-back gliders. But, 1998 called me to a job in Germany that included the family, so I entrusted my entire rocketry collection to my friend and his boys until my return in 2003.

In late 2003 my friend returned everything, a little worn and beat up, but with some new additions based on their explorations while I was gone. I tried to drum up interest among family friends, but it never caught on, so I set it aside.

My second return to rocketry began a few days ago when I learned my oldest grandson (now 3) from my first born son, has taken an interest in rockets. Trains are so yesterday now! So once again I am taking up the mantel and preparing for their visit this Thanksgiving. I'll keep it simple. I have a few kits, and I could make lots of repairs to existing models. But I'd really like to pursue a boost glider design I have that I've never executed. And I'd like to restore my Estes Bomarc IM-99 Citation. It had a fast level glide in a wide circle that took people's breath away.

I look forward to interacting with some of you in this forum, to help those with any knowledge and experience that I have, but also to learn and be helped by you. Here's wishing you no prangs!

Steve

first return, you're a BAR - born again rocketeer.

second return, you are a BARBAR. Or maybe a REBAR. or something fun! enjoy.
REBAR-- I like that!
We have a very active member who goes by @BABAR, which I strongly suspect refers to a second return (rather than the elephant king). So as well as that fits, it's taken. I like REBAR.

How much do you think your three year old grandson can do? I wouldn't expect much more than watching and maybe a little grabbing.

You might want to say Hi to @Antares JS; he is a frequent poster here, and lives in your area, working on Antares rockets out at Wallops.

Last edited:
We have a very active member who goes by @BABAR, which I strongly suspect refers to a second return (rather than the elephant king). So as well as that fits, it's taken. I like REBAR.

How much do you think your three year old grandson can do? I wouldn't expect much more than watching and maybe a little grabbing.

You might want to say Hi to @Antares JS; he is a frequent poster here, and lives in your area, working on Antares rockets out at Wallops.
Thanks @jqavins -- I'm pretty certain he can watch, countdown (along with his Opa), press the launch button, and retrieve once he's seen Opa do it! We'll see come November.
Thanks also for the intro to @Antares JS I should be a little more specific about my location-- COVA is the southeastern region of Virginia, whereas Wallops is on the VA Eastern Shore. Sadly, they can seem worlds apart, but I have some friends out there, so I appreciate the connection.

Back