...Next Model-"Star Hauler"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Mt next release is called "Star Hauler" which should be flight tested by next week and ready for sale by the end of the month. It's a pay loader with slight military look. Combination streamer and chute recovery. 23 inches long.
Here's Pic to wet your whistle!
Star%20Hauler.jpg

Hummmmm!

Kinda reminds me of the Nike Apache. Keewenaw rounds launched from the upper penninsula of Michigan.

Cool!

sandman

Interesting. Where is the seperation point, please?

I wonder if it would be possible to convert this to a two-stager with gap staging?

Hmm......

Will

Originally posted by wscarvie
Interesting. Where is the seperation point, please?

I wonder if it would be possible to convert this to a two-stager with gap staging?

Hmm......

Will
Will, you are right on track!! The seperation point is at the largest transition aft. I am flipping between having the upper come down on a 12"chute, and the lower a streamer. Or, having everything come down on a 14" chute.
As for a 2 stage...you read my mind. I wasn't going to do this just yet but here is...(Max Star Hauler/Star Hauler II((Don't know what to call it yet!)))
Star%20Hauler%20II.jpg

How about "Star Hauler, ER" for Extended Range, or something?

Looks like a nice design. Is this an 18mm bird?

Any idea what the price point will be, roughly?

Thanks,

Will

Originally posted by wscarvie
How about "Star Hauler, ER" for Extended Range, or something?

Looks like a nice design. Is this an 18mm bird?

Any idea what the price point will be, roughly?

Thanks,

Will

Yes, 18mm is correct A-C. I have not finalized the price but I am betting in the 15-16 dollar mark. It has a red-tinted payload section, balsa nose cone, 3 balsa transitions, kevlar recovery mount. It will have either a 12" chute/and streamer(for lower section) or 14" chute recovery system (which is what I am leaning torward). Flight tests will be final in a week or so depending on weather. I am holding off on real pics for few days...

Nice looking rocket...

It looks a natural for gap staging, as per Will's suggestion, have you thought any more about that?

The only problem I can see is getting the 18mm hole directly central through the middle of the transition...?

Damage

I'd extend the motor tube to go all the way up the lower section and *through* the adapter to function as a snuffer tube.

The concern then is first stage recovery deployment.

Originally posted by jflis
I'd extend the motor tube to go all the way up the lower section and *through* the adapter to function as a snuffer tube.

I agree. I thought I would extend the lower engine tube and repective BT, and vent it. The actual seperation point is at the lower transisiton. Here is an updated pic.
Star%20Hauler%20ER%20Vented.jpg

Originally posted by jflis

Yep, and I'm at a loss there. If the seperation point is the top of the bottom transition, I can't think of any way to keep the bottom stage (1st, or 2nd, depending on whether the base model is silverad's one or two-stage model) from coming in ballistic.

One possibility is to actually mount the top stage engine inside the lower transition. One might then be able to put a streamer into the space between the lower stage stuffer tube and outer tube. Maybe. But the top stage wouldn't look right with a transition hanging off the bottom.

Hmm. Maybe if the upper stage wasn't minimum diameter (and, therefore, we had an engine mount tube inside the body tube) we could put a streamer into that space, attached to the lower stage by kevlar. It would then pull out and deploy when the bottom stage fell away (hopefully!!!!).

I dunno. It's an interesting problem, though.

Will

Hmmm...

Back to the original pic/setup.

If it was to be gap staged, could you move the bottom stage fins slightly forward, while still keeping it stable for flight as a complete airframe, but allowing the bottom stage to tumble recover after the sustainer kicks in?

The other way would be to allow the bottom stage to be clustered, having a tube from one BOOSTER motor to the bottom of the sustainer, the other one a standard delay motor to kick out a chute. Thinking about it - a cluster of 3 x 1/2 A's around the edge to kick out the chute and a central C booster?

Of course, with the payload bay up front, you could always put in a small altimeter for staging...:cool:

Back