First launch...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Between Donna not being familiar with sending pics in an email using her phone and me changing over to a new email service like yesterday, we are having technical difficulties. I should be able to post one pic showing rocket and booster just after landing right next to the pad.
Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 08-54-36 (JPEG Image 3072 × 4080 pixels) — Scaled (16%).png

I have one more showing the launch but it's badly out of focus. Donna will be sending more after she's slept. She just got off work at 6 am.

Word is that the stacked Cs are too heavy for a reliably safe flight profile.

If you’re willing to do a little work on the booster, upgrading the mount to 24mm allows you to use C11-0 and D12-0 booster motors. You can still adapt down to B power.

The first shot had the booster all used up at less than 50' el. However, I was surprised at how high it went on the second stage.
Staging at low altitude is pretty typical, at least for small low power rockets. The booster has to lift a lot of weight! It doesn't lift the rocket very high, but what it does is get the rocket moving. Compared to a single stage rocket, the upper stage may be starting out only 50' higher... but it's also starting out at 40? 60? 100? mph instead of 0.

Staging at low altitude is pretty typical, at least for small low power rockets. The booster has to lift a lot of weight! It doesn't lift the rocket very high, but what it does is get the rocket moving. Compared to a single stage rocket, the upper stage may be starting out only 50' higher... but it's also starting out at 40? 60? 100? mph instead of 0.
Correct, compounding airspeed produces greater apogee than compounding altitude.

It’s also safer since the rocket stays closer to vertical.

Well, c'mon! He may have called himself that for some other reason.
1696956294345.png

Walmart. Free shipping.
I tried to get a new recovery parachute from Estes the other day and they wanted ten bucks shipping for a six dollar parachute that could be dropped in a postal letter envelope. I repaired the old chute and flew it. Shipping for a new Mongoose was stupid too. I got on Amazon and they want 8 bucks to ship an 18 dollar rocket so I bought a rocket that costs more than the $25 minimum free shipping. BOOM. That Mongoose was kinda cheezy anyway. Those fins seemed very sturdy, however. I think there may be an advantage to bals fins that can pop off because they are repairable. Plastic fins maybe not so much. I'm learning as I go.
I will now see how I like B. Bertha.
Remember, when shopping for a kit, that getting a more expensive one is one way to get over the free shipping threshold, but buying two kits is another good way. And some glue. And paint. And don't forget the sand paper. And a sanding block, and a good hobby knife, and replacement blades for it, and some engines, and a piece of aluminum angle, and...

I'm in the habit of going straight to the big stores for the free shipping because nearly everything I buy is shipped to me. Even with a Walmart Supercenter not far away, they still have to ship me stuff like flour and sugar (just random examples) because of no stock.
I don't know with Wally Mart, but most retailers will ship to a store for free and you pick it up there. Which is good if you can't get free shipping to your door, but it's good even if you can, because when your item shows up folded in half you can take it directly to the service/returns counter.
There is no hobby shop near here to look for rocket kits.
The demise of the local hobby shop (LHS) is another thing that hurts pretty much all of us. In or near a city you only might find one, and in the 'burbs they're just about as rare as in the deep wilderness or anywhere in between. My nearest one is over an hour's drive from home.

Last edited:
Understandable. They can be like that here when we have a "destination" hobby shop about 15 miles away! Slot cars, plastic kits, small and large scale die cast, trains from "G" to "Z", RC cars, trucks, planes, and drones, great upscale toys and science kits for kids, balsa gliders, stomp rockets, knowledgeable staff, plenty of building supplies and tools, and low - mid powered rockets and motors from Estes, LOC, and a few other vendors.

I'll be dinged if I know why.
DANG IT! Why didn't I know about that place when I had two different week-long business trips to Pittsburgh earlier this year?!

We have decided to keep the recovery chutes out and loose while not being used. Does that sound like the right thing to do? Do y'all keep your chutes packed or out loose?
I keep them packed as a way to keep the shroud lines and shock cords neat. Of all the dumb-ass things I've done that resulted in rocket-terrain interaction (and there have been plenty) a bunched up 'chute has never been the culprit.

Two beautiful launches!
I'm thinking of trying a C6-0 soon. The first shot had the booster all used up at less than 50' el. However, I was surprised at how high it went on the second stage.
This is fun stuff!
That's typical. Most of the ascent on a regular launch is during the coast phase, and there's no coast phase on the booster engine. But getting the second stage up to speed before it lights sure does make a big difference. And when the booster sseparates at low altitude, it's easy to find.

Last edited:
DANG IT! Why didn't I know about that place when I had two different week-long business trips to Pittsburgh earlier this year?!
You probably went by it four times if you came down I-79. Just north of the intersection with the turnpike. For Pete's sake, man, PM me if you're coming back this way. A PSC guy actually works there, and @John Brohm frequents the place as well. Maybe we could do a lunch, Monte Cello's pizza is some kind of good.

I'm there quite often (for what that's worth), it's a great hobby store.
Sheesh, if we could coordinate it, this is starting to sound like a pizza party and boys toys shopping spree!

Err... we're starting to hijack... and poor @panhead_dan is out on the banks of the Columbia River with nary a hobby shop within a hundred miles any direction!

Last edited:
Back