Complete Newbie

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello folks, I'm going to try to make this short and sweet, I've loved hobby rockets since I was a child, grew up in a poor family and just wasn't something we could afford, ffw 40 yrs ltr, everything came together, live in Orlando where I can see KSC launches, have a 10yr old boy after visiting KSC loves it & I can afford to buy my own toys now;-) We've purchase some Estes rocket and first time out 2 wks ago, we launched 3 rockets and lost them all(we were at a park in the soccer fields. This past weekend, we launched 3 rockets(Baby Bertha, Crossfire and Tigress) - 6 launches using B4-4 and lost Tigress in the park trees on the last launch. I'm looking forward to soaking in the yrs of knowledge here!

Hello folks, I'm going to try to make this short and sweet, I've loved hobby rockets since I was a child, grew up in a poor family and just wasn't something we could afford, ffw 40 yrs ltr, everything came together, live in Orlando where I can see KSC launches, have a 10yr old boy after visiting KSC loves it & I can afford to buy my own toys now;-) We've purchase some Estes rocket and first time out 2 wks ago, we launched 3 rockets and lost them all(we were at a park in the soccer fields. This past weekend, we launched 3 rockets(Baby Bertha, Crossfire and Tigress) - 6 launches using B4-4 and lost Tigress in the park trees on the last launch. I'm looking forward to soaking in the yrs of knowledge here!
Welcome aboard!

You picked good ones to start with. Have you looked into flying with a club at a bigger field? That’s the best environment to see what others are doing and try new stuff.

Welcome!

Sounds like you need to find a bigger field or smaller motors 😂 Don't worry though, you're far from alone in losing rockets!

For small and light rockets that use 18mm motors (the typical A, B, and C motors), you can usually keep them low and near the launch pad with 1/2A6-2 motors. You can get an adapter to use mini motors, too — just be careful not to exceed the safe lift-off weight for the motor.

Welcome aboard!

You picked good ones to start with. Have you looked into flying with a club at a bigger field? That’s the best environment to see what others are doing and try new stuff.
TY-Yes, found one that does it the 1st Saturday of the Month. Hoping to make it there in March believe its called ROCK(Rocketry of Orlando Community Kids) and associated with NAR.

Welcome!

Sounds like you need to find a bigger field or smaller motors 😂 Don't worry though, you're far from alone in losing rockets!

For small and light rockets that use 18mm motors (the typical A, B, and C motors), you can usually keep them low and near the launch pad with 1/2A6-2 motors. You can get an adapter to use mini motors, too — just be careful not to exceed the safe lift-off weight for the motor.
TY-Yes, Blake's dad got excited & went with the C6-5 on the 1st day, found a bigger field this past wknd, & using B4-4.

TY-Yes, Blake's dad got excited & went with the C6-5 on the 1st day, found a bigger field this past wknd, & using B4-4.
That’s exceedingly common. My very first rocket was an Estes Alpha III that disappeared on a C6-5 for a good 20 minutes on the first day, others have lost theirs permanently.

I’m just glad we didn’t know about the composite D motors at that point, that thing would have NEVER come back.

That’s exceedingly common. My very first rocket was an Estes Alpha III that disappeared on a C6-5 for a good 20 minutes on the first day, others have lost theirs permanently.

I’m just glad we didn’t know about the composite D motors at that point, that thing would have NEVER come ba

Blake's 1st rocket was the Alpha III also-that's the one his dad put the C6-5 and we lost.😆 but not to worry we got another and built it last night!

Latest posts

Back