New from SW Washington

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustysocket

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Revisiting rockets after a long break since my childhood in the late 70's as a project in scouts and I believe we built a big Bertha and another that had a clear payload tube that the fine specimen of grasshopper took a ride or two in. If I recall we used some observations and trigonometry to estimate altitudes and also had some device for the same. It was fun, but all were eventually lost to the pine trees and I vaguely remember one hung around through the winter.

Anyway, as a builder of model airplanes I found myself at the craft shop gathering supplies I stumbled across a quite significant section of Estes rockets. It's been in the back of my mind now for a few weeks so I decided to do a little research first and then see how far into this I want to go.

Bare minimum I want to build some cool rockets, even if they never get the chance to fly. But I have plenty of time, and am at the stage in my life I can afford to do things for fun and to learn.

I want to play around with data collection a bit. Or at least learn what can be done. I enjoy electronics, but am an assembler and don't really understand how it was designed and made to work. I'm willing to just accept that some things are a given at first and will hopefully learn why it works later.

So here I am. To ask some questions and get the basics.

I have a 3d printer. I like to build and fabricate things. Especially if a good set of instructions or guide is available. I figure that may compliment model rocketry.

I don't like to buy things which can easily be made. If I have to buy something like a specialty tool, I want good quality but not useless frills.

I can't imagine there is much I need to build that I don't already have.

My first question would be is what are a good quality launch stand and controller. Eventually I know I want to get into rockets that are maybe 3-4" diameter, but also will build some small stuff too.

Thanks for suggestions, hello from Washington state and I will ask questions after I do some general reading (suggestions please) and hopefully have some fun later on this summer.

Since you are in SW WA, hook up with the "local" clubs, Gorge Rocketry, Oregon Rocketry aka OROC , Washington Aerospace Club aka WAC and Tri Cities Rocketeers (TCR) in Southeastern WA.

Welcome to the Forum. Greetings from Southern Nevada. I made 2 launch platforms out of camera tripods. One has a 1/8th rod and the other has a 1/4 rod. Blast shield is some 1/8th" steel. My first HPR pad was a PVC spider with a 1010 rail. Now I have a Rockwell Jaw Stand and have my rail on it. It pivots so it's easy to put the rocket on the rail. It will hold rods too. The HPR pad has an AR500 rifle gong for a blast shield. I have pictures if you want to see them. Welcome back.

Since you are in SW WA, hook up with the "local" clubs, Gorge Rocketry, Oregon Rocketry aka OROC , Washington Aerospace Club aka WAC and Tri Cities Rocketeers (TCR) in Southeastern WA.
Not sure that I am ready for a club quite yet, but it sure would be fun to watch sometime. I will see if there is anything planned soon. Thank you.

:welcome:to the forum. the Rockwell Jawstand is used by many as it's very sturdy, just do a Search in the top RH corner
I will take a look. Thanks for the recommendation.

Welcome to the forum.

I toured southern Washington about 30 years back. Nice part of the world. Skied a bit there too.

Yes, I’ve been fortunate to have lived in the Pacific Northwest all of my life. Beautiful country and some great mountains to ski here for sure.

Welcome to the Forum. Greetings from Southern Nevada. I made 2 launch platforms out of camera tripods. One has a 1/8th rod and the other has a 1/4 rod. Blast shield is some 1/8th" steel. My first HPR pad was a PVC spider with a 1010 rail. Now I have a Rockwell Jaw Stand and have my rail on it. It pivots so it's easy to put the rocket on the rail. It will hold rods too. The HPR pad has an AR500 rifle gong for a blast shield. I have pictures if you want to see them. Welcome back.
Second time the Rockwell has been mentioned so I will be sure to take a look. I am still learning all the terminology so pictures would be helpful if you have the time.

I was looking through a box of things and came across an old Estes catalog. I plan to go through it this evening and see how much things have changed over the years.

Not sure that I am ready for a club quite yet, but it sure would be fun to watch sometime. I will see if there is anything planned soon. Thank you.

Yes, I’ve been fortunate to have lived in the Pacific Northwest all of my life. Beautiful country and some great mountains to ski here for sure.

Second time the Rockwell has been mentioned so I will be sure to take a look. I am still learning all the terminology so pictures would be helpful if you have the time.

I was looking through a box of things and came across an old Estes catalog. I plan to go through it this evening and see how much things have changed over the years.
Sod Blaster V is coming up in TriCities on Labor Day weekend, it will be 4 days of launching. Last years Sod Blaster IV we had over 600 flights, you show up, for a minimal fee you fly what you brought (commercial and allowed EX motors only with proper certs if needed). We provide the launch equipment and have 1/8, 3/16, 1/4" rods, mini rail, micro rail, 1010 and 1515 rails. We can handle any rocket up to (so far) 100lbs of our big pad. We have two vendors planning to attend, and did I mention its the largest rocketry event in the PNW and on the best field in the PNW.

https://tri-cities-rocketeers.weebly.com/

The PVC spider has a large bolt coming up through the bottom the rail was held to the bolt by hose clamps.20211211_160256[2992].jpg20230507_185505[2989].jpg20230507_185511[2386].jpg. Here are the jaw stand pictures and a rod stand. Ask any questions you like.

Hi, Rustysocket and welcome to one of the most active, informative, multilevel subject knowledge forums you can imagine. I'm pretty new here myself and I'm constantly amazed at how much goes on here. I'm strictly LPR, at least for now, but enjoy poking around across the various levels of rocketry depth. When you ask a question be prepared for a number of responses, and even some pics as evidenced above.

We moved down to Northern California for a teaching position in '06 and like it a lot, though our hearts are still attached to Battle Ground, WA, where we lived while raising the boys. We planned to move back when I retired but that was the summer of wildfire evacuations here and Covid stuff everywhere and the soon-to-follow housing price explosion in SW WA. So, we're still here but happy to live in another--if much, much dryer--part of the West. (California somehow refers to the dried hillsides euphemistically as "golden". They're just brown by Washington standards.) We still follow the Seattle sports teams and like to watch 'em occasionally when they get down to the Bay Area. (It's a much different experience being for the visiting team when you're in a stadium with thousands of fans of the home team. :) )

I'll look forward to seeing how your return to rocketry goes! If it's anything like mine that would be happy...but slow. Retirement keeps a person so busy!!

Hey everyone,

Revisiting rockets after a long break since my childhood in the late 70's as a project in scouts and I believe we built a big Bertha and another that had a clear payload tube that the fine specimen of grasshopper took a ride or two in. If I recall we used some observations and trigonometry to estimate altitudes and also had some device for the same. It was fun, but all were eventually lost to the pine trees and I vaguely remember one hung around through the winter.

Anyway, as a builder of model airplanes I found myself at the craft shop gathering supplies I stumbled across a quite significant section of Estes rockets. It's been in the back of my mind now for a few weeks so I decided to do a little research first and then see how far into this I want to go.

Bare minimum I want to build some cool rockets, even if they never get the chance to fly. But I have plenty of time, and am at the stage in my life I can afford to do things for fun and to learn.

I want to play around with data collection a bit. Or at least learn what can be done. I enjoy electronics, but am an assembler and don't really understand how it was designed and made to work. I'm willing to just accept that some things are a given at first and will hopefully learn why it works later.

So here I am. To ask some questions and get the basics.

I have a 3d printer. I like to build and fabricate things. Especially if a good set of instructions or guide is available. I figure that may compliment model rocketry.

I don't like to buy things which can easily be made. If I have to buy something like a specialty tool, I want good quality but not useless frills.

I can't imagine there is much I need to build that I don't already have.

My first question would be is what are a good quality launch stand and controller. Eventually I know I want to get into rockets that are maybe 3-4" diameter, but also will build some small stuff too.

Thanks for suggestions, hello from Washington state and I will ask questions after I do some general reading (suggestions please) and hopefully have some fun later on this summer.
i too am a beginner really. my rockets record acceleration, rotation, and altitude. if you like the sound of that i would be honoured to help your rockets do the same.

Back