NARAM-52

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,

Sorry you couldn't make it to NARAM this year. :(

I picked up one of your Deimos kits from Bill at BMS this morning. I like the look of it. :cool:

Early rumors have NARAM-53 being in Ohio next year.

Thanks Bob!

Sorry we are missing you this year.

And I am liking the sounds of that early rumor!

David

Just spoke with Carl. Man, that boy is just having TOO much fun! LOL

It's going to be an interesting set of NAR national events with Estes in the mix again. It's good to see but more than a bit intimidating at times :)

Wish I was there... man...

Jim,

Mark James flew a beautiful upscale Tres on a cluster of 3xI300 motors. Great flight. I didn't get a launch photo (maybe some else did), but here is a static shot of his rocket.

Greg

maxi_tres.jpg

maxi_tres1.jpg

That was a gorgeous flight (I303's actually, by the way - they're the CTI Pro38-4g Blue Streak motors).

Jim,

Mark James flew a beautiful upscale Tres on a cluster of 3xI300 motors. Great flight. I didn't get a launch photo (maybe some else did), but here is a static shot of his rocket.

Greg

I saw some photo's earlier (NARAMlive) but am still hoping to see a launch photo. I simply LOVE that design and as an upscale it is incredible!

Here are the two rockets I'm bringing to NARAM. I-altitude (left) and L2 rockets. Leaving these evening. Hopefully they make the flight in my luggage unscathed.

NARAM 52 rocs.jpg

Just spoke with Carl. Man, that boy is just having TOO much fun! LOL

It's going to be an interesting set of NAR national events with Estes in the mix again. It's good to see but more than a bit intimidating at times :)

Yeah, I was just watching the NARAM vendor's forum on the NARAMLive52 YouTube channel last night, and Carl looked like he was having a GREAT time.
Look here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/naramlive52#p/c/EA481125C325F686

Huge thanks to Chris Taylor for once again doing a fantastic job at NARAM-52 with naramlive.com.

Some of the videos are almost as good as being there.

Almost, but not quite. I still wish I was there.

Also, CONGRATS to Chris for getting his Level 1 certification at NARAM-52!

Jim, wish Evie and I were there too! We miss seeing you guys and all our "family." Hopefully won't be too long 'til we see you next. Best to you and Kathy and see you soon!

Jim, wish Evie and I were there too! We miss seeing you guys and all our "family." Hopefully won't be too long 'til we see you next. Best to you and Kathy and see you soon!

Ditto, Dave :) It was a hard decision.

On the up side we've been able to use the time and money saved visiting several clubs in the area with more to come (ASTRE last week, CATO next week, etc) as well as working with several local (North East) youth groups such as the 4-H, Scouts and CAP. So it all works out in the end :)

Here's a video i shot Tuesday. Can you identify the person at the end?
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdETUPhEsxU][/YOUTUBE]

Though the face was upside down and a bit distorted, the voice sounded like Mary Roberts!

You are correct. The video is from a cheap cigarettte lighter shaped camera that still works well after some less than gentle landings. I flew it from the sport range but it overflew the contest range. The tent skeleton that you see before it lands is the Estes tent that was the victim of a storm Monday night. The rocket came down in front of the tent and Mary asked if she should pick it up. I asked her to do so and be sure the end of the rocket was pointing at her. She didn't know it was a camera until I started laughing.

The NARAM field is great for sport flying. The only hazard is a canyon that I maanaged to land in. The RDAS altimeter data had it landing at -100'. I'll post more videos when I get home.

I'm enjoying the NARAM Live site.

I am curious though - Has anybody heard what the final NAR Membership count was at the start of the NARAM?
I know Trip Barber said there was a small membership surge right before the NARAM.
It might be on the audio of the Town Forum Meeting but I can't get it to come up.

Thanks in advance!

You are correct. The video is from a cheap cigarettte lighter shaped camera that still works well after some less than gentle landings. I flew it from the sport range but it overflew the contest range. The tent skeleton that you see before it lands is the Estes tent that was the victim of a storm Monday night. The rocket came down in front of the tent and Mary asked if she should pick it up. I asked her to do so and be sure the end of the rocket was pointing at her. She didn't know it was a camera until I started laughing.

The NARAM field is great for sport flying. The only hazard is a canyon that I maanaged to land in. The RDAS altimeter data had it landing at -100'. I'll post more videos when I get home.
You landed in the canyon?

That's something I still haven't managed, despite flying at that site for a couple of years now.

I'm enjoying the NARAM Live site.

I am curious though - Has anybody heard what the final NAR Membership count was at the start of the NARAM?
I know Trip Barber said there was a small membership surge right before the NARAM.
It might be on the audio of the Town Forum Meeting but I can't get it to come up.

Thanks in advance!

According to the handout provided by NAR President Trip Barber during the NAR Association meeting, membership was at 4,850.

Bob,

I know Chris has been busy. Any chance somebody could post some contest results?

Steve

Bob,

I know Chris has been busy. Any chance somebody could post some contest results?

Steve

The scuttlebutt from places like the Croc list says that results are SLOW becoming available, and that there may be problems with the Contest Manager software (or the operation thereof), made worse since Chris Kidwell (the author) is not in attendance.

You landed in the canyon?

That's something I still haven't managed, despite flying at that site for a couple of years now.

I hadn't seen the canyon before and in the pictures I had seen it didn't look that deep. Even so I had the rocket aimed in what I thought was the perfect direction. And it would have been if I hadn't been overly generous with the black powder. The rocket was flying on a K and it was heavy. After a couple of bad flights at NARAM's from years ago that some people won't let me forget I was determined that this thing was going to come done under chute no matter what. It had dual altimeters with dual deployment and motor ejection. They all worked but the apogee charge was so big that the nose cone on the upper part of the rocket decided to keep on going and pulled the chute out. So I had a rocket that weighed 12 pounds after burnout on a 6 foot parachute at 4000 feet. The altimeter says the rocket was in the air for over 5 minutes and it landed at a negative altitude. I walked out and across the canyon which isn't easy. Fortunately Tom Lyon and a guy from the local club whose name I didn't catch came out on an ATV to help me find it and bring it and me back.

According to the handout provided by NAR President Trip Barber during the NAR Association meeting, membership was at 4,850.

IIRC, that is based on the "mid-month" numbers from July 15. Maybe there will be a running update at the banquet?

The membership drive will continue - no free kits/hats for newbies, but the referring member will continue to get $5 per new member signed up.

Have they announced the locations for NARAM and the NSL for next year yet?

They have not "Announced" as that would be the official announcement. There were leaks/rumors, but posting those would be foolish until the real official announcement is made at the banquet. And you fogot to ask about NARCON - also the subject of leaks/rumors.

I'm gonna need more vacation days....(your only hint).

They have not "Announced" as that would be the official announcement. There were leaks/rumors, but posting those would be foolish until the real official announcement is made at the banquet. And you fogot to ask about NARCON - also the subject of leaks/rumors.

I'm gonna need more vacation days....(your only hint).

I was sitting in on the Board meeting waiting for them to get to S & T when they discussed the locations. Since it's an open meeting I don't think I'm breaking any rules telling what I heard. NARAM will be in the Cincinnati area, NSL in CA, and NARCON will be in the Seattle area.

Know where in CA for the NSL?

I believe it was Lucerne but I could be wrong. They were an hour late, it was hot in the room and I was ready to doze off. Evidently the air conditioner did not have sufficient capacity to deal with the hot air generated by the NAR Board.

I believe it was Lucerne but I could be wrong. They were an hour late, it was hot in the room and I was ready to doze off. Evidently the air conditioner did not have sufficient capacity to deal with the hot air generated by the NAR Board.

So it was kind of a NAR WEENIE roast in there....

Sorry bad joke all in fun.. but I could not resist. :D

It will be hosted by ROC at Lucerne.

I posted some pictures on Flikr and a couple more videos.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Qk3rPzPxWhc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Qk3rPzPxWhc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/yMEc-q42yHk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/yMEc-q42yHk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back