Q-Jet F41 first flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpower

Reaction score
I stopped at the local HobbyTown USA last week, and they had a number of relatively new AT/Quest motors, including the Enerjet E24, and Q-Jet F41. We had an upcoming launch, so I picked up packs of both. Paid full retail, $28.99, but it helps keep the LHS in business, and encourages them to keep stocking Aerotech products. The E24 2-packs were $41.99, so Q-Jets are a much better value (and nearly identical in price to F24 reloads). The F41 is only a bit higher in total impulse, 47 vs 36, but has a progressive thrust curve, the E24 has a more typical AP thrust curve. Back to the F41 - it fits perfectly in the Estes 24/29 adapter - this is a fantastic adapter, the only Estes/Quest/Aerotech 24mm motor that doesn't fit (that I'm aware of) is the 24/60 RMS. The F41 motor has a different nozzle than all other Q-Jets (and I've flown them all), it looks to be molded of the same (black plastic) material as the case. There was almost no nozzle erosion, unlike an E26 I flew the same day. The F41 came with a standard Q-Jet starter, a long-leaded, fragile-tipped, red First-Fire mini, with red Q-Pic. The E24 came with a standard, more robust, yellow Fire Fire Jr (wish Q-Jets came with these!).

I flew the F41 in a 17oz Initiator (with the adapter and the AT screw-on retainer it popped right in), and the E24 in a 12 oz Der Big Red Max (also a perfect fit with the estes plastic screw-on retainer). Ignition of the F41 took slightly longer (using my calibrated eyeball), though it started quickly, there was a minor chuff as it got up to pressure. The E24 flew perfectly, plenty of impulse for this light rocket, though not really as interesting as my typical BP E16/F15 flights. The F41, despite the progressive curve, had plenty of kick off the pad, for an arrow straight flight. It was a gray day, with light flurries, so the white flame could be seen for the duration of thrust - what was really interesting, and several flyers noticed this, at the end of the burn, the flame had a brief, but significant increase in brightness. Perhaps this is that peak at the end of the curve? In any case, it was cool to watch.

Anyone else fly the F41 yet?

Attachments

• Enerjet-E24.png
    Enerjet-E24.png
    205.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Q-Jet-F41.png
    Q-Jet-F41.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 1
…The E24 flew perfectly, plenty of impulse for this light rocket, though not really as interesting as my typical BP E16/F15 flights. The F41, despite the progressive curve, had plenty of kick off the pad, for an arrow straight flight. It was a gray day, with light flurries, so the white flame could be seen for the duration of thrust - what was really interesting, and several flyers noticed this, at the end of the burn, the flame had a brief, but significant increase in brightness. Perhaps this is that peak at the end of the curve? In any case, it was cool to watch.

Funny how our perception of an event can color our thoughts/feelings - I have a similar view of the big Estes BP motors vs. some A/T motors, the BP flights can be more entertaining.

I haven’t used my on hand F41s yet but your account has me looking forward to my first flight. Might need to stock up now before spring since I have multiple fairly light 29mm and 24mm powered rockets in the battery.

I stopped at the local HobbyTown USA last week, and they had a number of relatively new AT/Quest motors, including the Enerjet E24, and Q-Jet F41. We had an upcoming launch, so I picked up packs of both. Paid full retail, $28.99, but it helps keep the LHS in business, and encourages them to keep stocking Aerotech products. The E24 2-packs were $41.99, so Q-Jets are a much better value (and nearly identical in price to F24 reloads). The F41 is only a bit higher in total impulse, 47 vs 36, but has a progressive thrust curve, the E24 has a more typical AP thrust curve. Back to the F41 - it fits perfectly in the Estes 24/29 adapter - this is a fantastic adapter, the only Estes/Quest/Aerotech 24mm motor that doesn't fit (that I'm aware of) is the 24/60 RMS. The F41 motor has a different nozzle than all other Q-Jets (and I've flown them all), it looks to be molded of the same (black plastic) material as the case. There was almost no nozzle erosion, unlike an E26 I flew the same day. The F41 came with a standard Q-Jet starter, a long-leaded, fragile-tipped, red First-Fire mini, with red Q-Pic. The E24 came with a standard, more robust, yellow Fire Fire Jr (wish Q-Jets came with these!).

I flew the F41 in a 17oz Initiator (with the adapter and the AT screw-on retainer it popped right in), and the E24 in a 12 oz Der Big Red Max (also a perfect fit with the estes plastic screw-on retainer). Ignition of the F41 took slightly longer (using my calibrated eyeball), though it started quickly, there was a minor chuff as it got up to pressure. The E24 flew perfectly, plenty of impulse for this light rocket, though not really as interesting as my typical BP E16/F15 flights. The F41, despite the progressive curve, had plenty of kick off the pad, for an arrow straight flight. It was a gray day, with light flurries, so the white flame could be seen for the duration of thrust - what was really interesting, and several flyers noticed this, at the end of the burn, the flame had a brief, but significant increase in brightness. Perhaps this is that peak at the end of the curve? In any case, it was cool to watch.

I’ve been caught up in so much other stuff that I forgot to follow the news with these motors. Of the two I’m more interested in the E24.

Back to the F41 - it fits perfectly in the Estes 24/29 adapter - this is a fantastic adapter, the only Estes/Quest/Aerotech 24mm motor that doesn't fit (that I'm aware of) is the 24/60 RMS.

This is why I designed and printed my own adapter based off the Estes Adapter but customized for the RMS 24/60.

This is why I designed and printed my own adapter based off the Estes Adapter but customized for the RMS 24/60.
Great idea.
I found out that the 24/60 case didn't fit the Estes adapter until at the field and preparing to fly....

Ended up using my pocket knife and removing ribs so the case fit. Then wrapped a band of masking tape around the case to provide a thrust ring. Flight went well.

Waiting on a shipment of F41s to compare to the E35, which I've flown a bit and like a lot.
Yes, the 2+sec burn time and progressive thrust curve of the F41 look interesting.

It should work pretty well with my 220 gram Mach 1 BT-55 Glass Vulcanite.

62 ft/sec off a 5-foot 2020 rail and apogee about 2100 ft -- not too scary for a maiden voyage :)

Harry had a few in stock as of Jan 13 ( 1 pack of F41-8W and 2 packs of F41-11W )

I had planned to buy a pack of F41-11W as an "impulse buy" at the next AARG launch if Harry still has them ...

-- kjh

Back