• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Come on, Boeing.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Article is behind a paywall.
Quick summary?
A Spirit Aerosystems whistleblower died of what the article called “a sudden, fast-spreading infection”, which forced doctors to consider amputating his extremities. His health before was generally good and suffering this completely blindsided family and medical professionals.

I’m actually skeptical that this was a hit, but there’s always that nagging instinct that deems it a little bit too convenient. Apparently the investigation into John Barnett’s death is still ongoing, I’m very interested in the findings of that.

Tomorrow Boeing's Starliner should launch with two Astronauts onboard. I sure hope there are no further "Boeing" problems for this flight. And considering how Boeing's execs are handling the safety of their airliners I worry.
I’m not quite as concerned. This is a completely separate division of the company.

Flew in a 717 onetime. Seemed like another DC-9 of old (which I flew in a lot of those) with an updated interior. Flew in a lot of 737's back in the
day too but it was a long time ago. I would look at the door frame on entry or exiting an aircraft and could usually find a data plate. I'd see a manufacturing date from the 60's and I was flying in the 80's. I didn't worry as to the maintenance these things get. Flights were nominal as of course, I'm still here!! :)
Too bad of the current events at Boeing as I think they were a benchmark company in days of old. Did so much to win wars and allow people to travel economically by jet. For that matter, I flew in several DC-10's (not Boeing of course) and apparently the ground crew got the baggage doors closed appropriately. The stupid stuff started happening long after I flew on the type.
I remember my dad and mom taking relatives to O'hare for a flight in the early '60's and no hijackings or security back then. I was a little kid and man 'o man the people flying were dressed to the nines to fly on the 707's. Still some radials and a lot of turbine engine aircraft back then. Could walk right up to the boarding gate without interference to say good-bye.
Well, we all know what happened after that historically and all the stuff we have to go through to fly. If one isn't nefarious, no big deal but it certainly isn't like the care-free days of old.

Given the embarrassments that have already occurred in the Starliner program over the past few years, that's not much of a defense.
Sad but true, though I as well hope for the best.

$1 billion over budget... do you know 1,000 people who could use $1,000,000? But the national debt dwarfs that. Watch the debt clock sometime if you really want to make your head spin.

With so many whistle blowers dyeing I wonder why we haven't heard that the FBI or another law enforcement organization is investigating. Because it sure smells fishy to me.
Generally, law enforcement agencies keep quiet on that subject so as not to tip off suspects that they might be under investigation. When they have enough evidence to indict someone, then you're more likely to hear something. Both whistleblowers died under mysterious circumstances, I'm sure we're not the only ones thinking that something smells wrong.

Watch the debt clock sometime if you really want to make your head spin.
The under-reported, but truly terrifying thing about that is, recent news says that the latest few debt auctions are struggling to find buyers. When no one buys new treasury debt, the debt clock stops like it hit a brick wall and suddenly, whether we like it or not, the United States will have to learn how to live on a balanced budget.

When (not if) that happens, it's going to be ugly.

Hoo boy. Boeing just got caught falsifying inspection records on the 787 line in Charleston. Employees said that they had done inspections that they hadn't.

https://www.reuters.com/business/ae...stigation-into-boeing-wsj-reports-2024-05-06/

[edit] Boeing promises "swift and serious action" against multiple employees. Given that they also said they are zero tolerance of breaking safety rules, SC is an at-will state, and that the vast majority of the factory is non-union, I'm not sure why they didn't say they were firing people. [/edit]

Last edited:
Hoo boy. Boeing just got caught falsifying inspection records on the 787 line in Charleston. Employees said that they had done inspections that they hadn't.

https://www.reuters.com/business/ae...stigation-into-boeing-wsj-reports-2024-05-06/

[edit] Boeing promises "swift and serious action" against multiple employees. Given that they also said they are zero tolerance of breaking safety rules, SC is an at-will state, and that the vast majority of the factory is non-union, I'm not sure why they didn't say they were firing people. [/edit]
At-will may not mean much if they can demonstrate misconduct or unfair practices by management. There are employment attorneys who specialize in this kind of thing and can uncover the real reason for termination, not just the stated one.

It does require diligence on the part of individual employees in question though. Client preparedness is the big wildcard that will make or break a case.

Sad but true, though I as well hope for the best.

$1 billion over budget... do you know 1,000 people who could use $1,000,000? But the national debt dwarfs that. Watch the debt clock sometime if you really want to make your head spin.
A significant chunk of the debt, about a fifth overall, is intragovernmental. It’s part of the day-to-day processes of making sure agencies can run, and doesn’t necessarily indicate anything ominous. It just has to be tallied because that’s how the accounting works.

The rest is debt held by the public. About a third of that is foreign-held, the rest domestic.

At-will may not mean much if they can demonstrate misconduct or unfair practices by management. There are employment attorneys who specialize in this kind of thing and can uncover the real reason for termination, not just the stated one.
At will means you do not have to state a reason. The mistake employers make in at-will states is to give a reason.

At will means you do not have to state a reason. The mistake employers make in at-will states is to give a reason.
On further reflection, immediate firing would probably halt any internal investigation as to how high up the chain the failures go. I have trouble believing that tolerance of not actually doing inspections stops at the line inspectors. I would be shocked if (at minimum) the shift supervisors didn't know. It would be nice to can those folks as well. Of course, that won't get to the people who say that the most important thing is to make the deliveries and don't let anything get in the way of that. And it seems unlikely that the culture will change until those folks see some consequences.

Employees said that they had done inspections that they hadn't.
This is a common problem in today's workforce. It isn't just Boeing that has this problem. It's consistent across most businesses.

There are two things going on here. The first is the corrupt workers. Lying about doing work they didn't do. Being too lazy or capable of actually accomplishing their assigned task. Basically, incapable of an "honest" day's work. The second is Boeing management failing to provide appropriate oversight, accountability and basic management. They should have been aware of the shoddy work and fired the workers...oh wait, they probably couldn't.

Two different issues, two different motivations. However, at the end of the day, it's still "Boeing" on the side of the airplanes.

That said, I flew on two more Boeing aircraft and am still alive to talk about it. The reality is the Boeing safety record is outstanding if take in the correct context.

Basically, incapable of an "honest" day's work. The second is Boeing management failing to provide appropriate oversight, accountability and basic management. They should have been aware of the shoddy work and fired the workers...oh wait, they probably couldn't.
One of the premises of moving 787 production to SC was to get away from the WA unions. If management was paying attention and cared about the lapses, they should have been able to fire anyone they wanted.

Employee testimony on recent goings-on in the workplace, as well evidence found in discovery, can overpower even no reason being given and point to an actual reason that may or may not be legal. Courts consider everything they deem credible, not just whatever the company says.

It is not easy to win such cases as an employee, but it is not impossible as companies often want to make it look. Even in an at-will arrangement, the actual reason for termination must be a lawful reason. At-will just means that not having an actual reason is a lawful reason.

Whistleblowing is generally protected though, along with the more standard non-discrimination stuff everybody should be familiar with.

(I’ve looked into this stuff pretty recently, I’ve got a friend struggling with his employer and I’ve been trying to persuade him to talk to a lawyer or somebody with the State)

Back