NARAM 47 approaching

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanstevens

Reaction score
For those of you multi-tasking and procrastinating both the rocket-building and the registration for NARAM 47, being held in beautiful Cincinnati OH, please consider at least hopping over to www.naram.org and registering. Rumor has it the hotel is out of rooms (or nearly out), and there are a few alternatives posted recently to contestroc (yahoo group).

For those of you on the fence, consider this--we've got a field that's about a square mile, fairly short grass, and you can literally walk from the field to a number of decent eateries (the field is surrounded by development, not way out in the boonies). We're also a short trip to Wright-Patterson AFB for aviation geeks, and within a 10 minute drive of (2) waterparks and one of the nation's better amusement parks for those in your family who might not be all that into rocketry.

--Chan Stevens

Chan,

That's a real bummer that the hotel is out of rooms. I am going to register in the next month. I'll check out the other hotels, I guess. Can't believe they are out of rooms already. Maybe that's a sign that more people than usual are coming this year?

One other thing I noticed. I just got my May/June issue of Sport Rocketry and saw the NARAM advertisement. The events shown look to be incorrect. They show A Rocket Glider, and no Open Spot Landing. (At least I hope it's incorrect in the ad, and not on the website!)

Thanks,
Russ

Not to worry. There are plenty of hotels in the vicinity of the field and near the host hotel. This shouldn't be a problem in this part of the Cincinnati area.

There's a posting about to go on the NARAM.org page basically saying that we have a block of 100 rooms, and as of yesterday only 42 have been reserved. Mark Fisher is posting to the site the names of folks the hotel shows against our block. The rumor of being sold out is probably folks who are trying to reserve online rather than contacting the hotel directly. Anytime there are "conventions" involved, direct booking is the only way to get the rooms.

Also, if you're not on yahoo groups contestroc, consider signing up (or at least trolling their archive. I posted a fairly lengthy listing of alternative hotels, numbers, and current pricing.

Originally posted by chanstevens
Also, if you're not on yahoo groups contestroc, consider signing up (or at least trolling their archive). I posted a fairly lengthy listing of alternative hotels, numbers, and current pricing.

No can do; that group does not have public archives.

Bill

Is there a Hilton nearby? I've got a bucketful of points and would just as soon stay free...

Crikeys.. I had planned on going to NARAM this year, and perhaps take Gordon up on the offer of a ride to the event - given my proximity to the interstate and all, but if these rooms are going this quickly, I may just pass.

My Grandfather just got home after a week long stay in the Hospital with surgery, so taking off with the car for this event wouldn't be prudent, and not knowing CinCin town, I'd much prefer to be within walking distance of the field, than relying on transportation to the field.

As a last thought - since the Yahoo group mentioned doesn't have a public archive, any chance we can get a listing of hotels with average room rate, with phone #'s AND distance from the field/events posted here ?

*sigh*

Originally posted by Silverleaf
Crikeys.. I had planned on going to NARAM this year, and perhaps take Gordon up on the offer of a ride to the event - given my proximity to the interstate and all, but if these rooms are going this quickly, I may just pass.

My Grandfather just got home after a week long stay in the Hospital with surgery, so taking off with the car for this event wouldn't be prudent, and not knowing CinCin town, I'd much prefer to be within walking distance of the field, than relying on transportation to the field.

As a last thought - since the Yahoo group mentioned doesn't have a public archive, any chance we can get a listing of hotels with phone #'s AND distance from the field/events posted here ?

*sigh*

Good news then. The host hotel is about a fifteen minute drive from the actual field. Better new. There are several other hotels off the Tylersville Road exit that would allow one to walk to the field. Plenty of eatin' places too. Except for the traffic, this should be a fairly walker friendly event.

Any idea how close any War gaming hobby stores are to this area ?

War gaming stores? At the risk of getting flamed, shouldn't you be in a Star Wars line somewhere? I get enough flak from my wife for being a rocket geek...

I don't know if it's what you're after, but about 10 minutes south of the field, right off the 275 beltline, there's a world of hobbies store that has a ton of Axis and Allies stuff, plus a bunch of those D & D type card games that folks get waaaaaay to in to. They also happen to have some decent R/C selection, though everything in the store is full retail.

--Chan Stevens

A couple of updates to various NARAM47 rumors:

1) The host hotel IS NOT booked yet. We reserved 100 rooms, only
about 45 have been booked, and we now have assurances from their
management that they will have no more confused employees handling
this. Anyone still wishing to book at the host hotel should do so
directly at 513-671-6600 to make your reservation. MENTION
THE "QUEEN CITY ROCKET CLUB" BOOKING CODE. This will insure that you
receive the event rate and that your reservation is debited from the
NARAM 47 room block, allowing us to accurately gauge our
accommodation needs.

2) Event update--the ad in this month's Sport Rocketry incorrectly
drops R & D and lists A-RG. That's just flat out wrong/a typo (I
have no idea who goofed on it and will stay out of that issue).
Other than the impulse change on DELD for juniors jumping from D to
E, no events have changed since the flyer handed out at last year's
banquet. The Launch Windows online and in Sport Rocketry are
accurate (other than the junior E impulse for DELD).

--Chan Stevens

A few other options for hotels near the field (all are in "West Chester,
OH":

Econo-Lodge--about .4 miles from field, rates around $65-75,
513)777-1978
Knight's Inn--just under 2 miles, rates around $65, (513)777-4444
Sleep Inn--4 miles, rates around $80-100, (513)645-1700
Wingate Inn--about 2 miles, fairly new but pricey--$100-120/night,
(513)777-1101
Hampton Inn Suites--2 miles, $100-150 per night for the suites,
(513)459-8900

For the rest of the family that puts up grudgingly with rocketry, there
are a couple close to King's Island amusement park (and the Beach
waterpark, shopping, putt-putt course, etc.), which is about a 10 minute
drive to the field for racketeers:

Days Inn Kings Island--$90-110/night, park deals available,
(513)398-3297
Red Roof Inn/Mason--$90-120/night, (513)398-3633
Quality Inn/Cincinnati--$90-115/night, (513)683-3086
Kings Island Resort/conference center--$115-130/night, right across the
street from the park, (513)398-0115

Last, but not least, if you want to stay close to the host hotel, but
not in it:

Howard Johnson/Cincinnati--$50-70/night, under a mile from host hotel,
(513)631-8500
Super 8/Cincinnati--$50-60, under a mile, (513)398-7060
Extended Stay/Springdale--$40-60/night, under a mile, "efficiency"
apartments, (513)671-4900
Hampshire House Hotel--$80-85/night, 1.7 miles away, (513)772-5440

In general, these are all rated around 2 stars on the travel sites. If
any higher rollers out there want a more luxury-oriented venue, search
your favorite site for the following locations:

The field=roughly 7644 Voice of America Drive, West Chester OH 45069
The host hotel=11911 Sheraton Lane, Springdale OH 45246

Finally, yes there is some camping available, though I'm not that
familiar with the sites/amenities. I know King's Island has a campground
available. I think there are also a few larger sites and/or RV parks a
bit north of Cincinnati (try Dayton, Centerville, Monroe), though you
could be looking at 45-60 minutes each way if you get more than about 30
miles from zip code 45246.

--Chan Stevens

War gaming stores? At the risk of getting flamed, shouldn't you be in a Star Wars line somewhere? I get enough flak from my wife for being a rocket geek...

LOL !

Nah, one of my favorite passions is Advanced Squad Leader and similar War/Counter board games, although I don't play FTF (Face to Face) due to no one close enough for it, I do however play the system online through a system called VASSAL. The mod for ASL is simply called VASL.

IF I'm able to get down there for NARAM, I'd imagine I'll hit this store pretty regularly over the week I'm there.

Thanks as well for all the listings/prices and mileage to the field. Much appreciated. 8)

Cheers,

Silverleaf,

There is a Hobbytown USA that specializes in card games like Magic and others along with board games and they have tons of the little and big casted characters some painted, some not. It's one of their specialties and during the weekends their tables for playing are full. The place is 10 minutes from NARAM47.

Carl

I plan on spending the whole week there!

Carl, does the invite still stand?

Nah, one of my favorite passions is Advanced Squad Leader and similar War/Counter board games, although I don't play FTF (Face to Face) due to no one close enough for it, I do however play the system online through a system called VASSAL. The mod for ASL is simply called VASL.

So, how does one get into this VASSAL system. I have a number of the War/Counter board games that I bought 10 - 15 years ago but could never find anyone else who wanted to play. The only ones that I played regularly were designed for solitaire play.

Of course, since I never had any real competition, I would rank myself as a complete novice.

So, how does one get into this VASSAL system. I have a number of the War/Counter board games that I bought 10 - 15 years ago but could never find anyone else who wanted to play. The only ones that I played regularly were designed for solitaire play.

Greetings Bob,

You'll find the Vassal engine as a single download at the following site:

https://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php

As well, you'll need the latest Java runtime environment - which MOST newer cpus' already have. IF not, check the Java Sunsite for version 1.4 at:

https://www.java.com/

Once installed, simply run the VASSAL program, then choose a mod from the following page (the mods page at VASSAL - in case the link below doesn't work):

https://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?
option=com_vassal_modules&task=displayAll&Itemid=30

SOME mods are not finished, others have a huge following etc.

So, for Advanced Squad Leader, all I do is run vassal, then load the current mod I want to play ( in this case VASL) and voila, you can connect with the server and play with others online.

Some of the games are solitaire, so the main reason for their development was to make it easier to play them without needing to set up a board/counters etc. essentially saving on table space.

Hope that helps,

Silverleaf,

Thanks for the link. It looks like a number of the games I have are in the Module selections. I'm going to have find some time to explore this site more.

Bob

No offense, but could we take this to another thread and return this to the NARAM 47 discussion?

Thanx :) :)

Sorry Jim, didn't mean to hijack the thread..

*slaps self with a Duece's Wild *

8)

s'ok, just that I see new activity on this thread and read through it only to find nothing on naram...

thanx,
jim

Just a quick update and a minor rant:

I called to reserve my room for the week, and was shocked to learn what it will cost to stay there for a simple rockety related event. Even with the discount through the Queen City Rocket Club group rate, for the week it will be 730 some odd dollars.

I've got a reservation, but may still cancel.

Hard to justify that sort of cash for a week - and that doesn't even include food, a week long field pass to launch IF I want to, a t-shirt and hat, and the banquet.

I even went and just checked what it would cost for everything mentioned above, and excluding the floppy-eared hat (which I want for mowing purposes lol ) the total including my $20 discount for first time NARAM meet, its: $66.00

So right around 800 bucks JUST for the event and room for the week.

*grumble...grumble...sigh*

Hey Chan,

What are the chances of posting a daily schedule/agenda for NARAM, so that those of us who may not be able to swing the whole week can see which events are scheduled for which days?

Unless I am just totally missing something on the NARAM page, there is no day-by-day listing of events.

I've never been to a NARAM, but I'd like to get down for a few days if I can.
I may have work issues which could make getting down there for the whole week impractical, but hopefully I should be able to make it for 3-4 days. I would guess more than a few people might be in the same boat.

The daily schedule hasn't been set yet, but should be nailed down within a few weeks. I'll post accordingly.

On the cost front, I can sympathize, but to a certain extent that's life in the big city. Because NARAM has to be held at a hotel with large meeting facilities (and lots of rooms), this puts us in the 3-4 start rating group, and not so cheap room rates.

We're running into the same problem with the food. The hotel doesn't exactly do burgers/dogs, and our per person (no break for kids) meal cost is going to be over $30. Sure, you get a very good meal (at one point lobster was an option), but rocketeers aren't exactly a surf and turf crowd.

For the budget-minded, I did post somewhere around here a fairly comprehensive list of nearby hotels that are quite a bit less money than the host hotel, so you can save a couple hundred for the week if you're willing to drop down a bit in quality, and don't mind staying someplace other than the "official" host hotel.

Couple questions:

Any chance that a daily schedule is close to being posted at the NARAM site ?

We're about 5 weeks away from NARAM 47 so any additional info would be greatly appreciated. 8)

The reserved room list and info on the NARAM site hasn't been updated in quite awhile, so for those that may still want to reserve a room, can we please have an updated list and rooms still available ?

I also want to be sure my names on the list 8)

Many thanks,

For those who haven't yet made hotel reservations, I just made mine at the Extended StayAmerica. For an 8 night stay, the rate was $31.99 per night for one person occupancy and a queen-size bed. It's only half a mile from the Ramada host hotel.
I'm sure that it's a lot less fancy than the Ramada, but the rate includes in-room refrigerator, microwave, and cooktop.

Here's the link:
https://www.extendedstayamerica.com/minisite/?HotelID=779

Originally posted by mn-rocketry
For those who haven't yet made hotel reservations, I just made mine at the Extended StayAmerica. For an 8 night stay, the rate was $31.99 per night for one person occupancy and a queen-size bed. It's only half a mile from the Ramada host hotel.
I'm sure that it's a lot less fancy than the Ramada, but the rate includes in-room refrigerator, microwave, and cooktop.

Here's the link:
https://www.extendedstayamerica.com/minisite/?HotelID=779

Good thinking. I had been doing some online comparisons on hotel rates and ESA is among the better ones available. There is one in our area and it looks very nice from the outside. I have heard good things from a few people who have stayed there, so I am sure it's OK.

All other things being equal, I'd rather stay at the official hotel, but since we're talking almost a $50 per night difference ... uhh, well, all things aren't equal. :rolleyes:

Saving $400 over the course of the week makes a bit of a difference, as I am sure everyone can appreciate.
;)

OH, BY THE WAY, Kudos to the NARAM-47 crew for posting the daily schedule and itinerary. It is a big help in planning purposes and I am sure was a ton of work, but it is much appreciated, so thanks to all!

Um...in case anyone's looking to save AND stay at the host hotel, after months of hearing they're sold out (even incorrectly telling NARAM attendees they're sold out), someone caught that you can now go online to Ramada's site and get our $79 room for about $60, and go through Expedia to see it down around $50 (rate varies, higher on weekends).

All I can say is we (NARAM47 group) had to browbeat them DOWN to the $79 rate, and had trouble with that.:rolleyes:

--Chan Stevens

Originally posted by chanstevens
Um...in case anyone's looking to save AND stay at the host hotel, after months of hearing they're sold out (even incorrectly telling NARAM attendees they're sold out), someone caught that you can now go online to Ramada's site and get our $79 room for about $60, and go through Expedia to see it down around $50 (rate varies, higher on weekends).

All I can say is we (NARAM47 group) had to browbeat them DOWN to the $79 rate, and had trouble with that.:rolleyes:

Mercy. Sounds like time for a little conspiracy...contact all of the original registrants to reserve again, then cancel their original one.

Have you guys decided which nights the various evening activities (town hall, manufacturer forum, auction, social) will be?

Bill

Little question about the sport range. If you look at the option to purchase single days of sport flying on Paypal, the first day that comes up is 7/30 (Saturday), but if you go to buy the weekend sport flying pass, the weekend is listed as 7/31 - 8/1 (Sunday and Monday) which doesn't exactly fit into my "weekend". Is this a typo, or am I going to miss a day of flying if I show up Saturday expecting to fly? Thanks in advance.

ALan

Back