NARAM-53 registration now open WITH GIVEAWAYS!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanstevens

Reaction score
At long last, you can now officially register to attend NARAM-53, being held July 23-29th in the general vicinity of Cincinnati OH. The registration includes shopping cart functionality through Paypal, so if you intend to pay by check just submit the registration without confirming the subsequent Paypal screen (we're working on a more straightforward approach soon). Reminder--a patch is included free to every competitor, so only order one if you want extra one(s) or are a sport flyer and want one.

One note to sport flyers--we're still working out the logistics of HPR range and waiver, do expect to have some HPR support, but it will certainly not be up to the standards set by previous NARAM's. If you're primarily interested in sport flying big stuff, I'd suggest you hold off on registering until we've finalized and announced the waiver, hopefully within the next few weeks. We do expect ample capability to support high volume/frequent flying of low and mid power sport, though.

I'd also like to announce two give-aways hoping to induce early registration. Shortly before NARAM, we will hold a drawing for one free hotel room for the week. This is open to all registered/paid competitors and full-week sport flyers. Complete your registration and payment by 4/30 and get entered 3 times, by 5/31 for 2 entries, by 6/30 for 1 entry. Registrations after 6/30 will not be elligible for the room giveaway. You must also be registered at the host hotel by 6/30 to be eligible.

The second give-away is a mirror image of the first--we'll draw one lucky winner from the list of people registered to stay at the host hotel, and will refund the entry fee (contest or sport week). Register at the hotel by 4/30 and get 3 entries, by 5/31 and get 2 entries, by 6/30 for 1 entry.

Point your browser to www.naram.org (or directly to www.naram53.quarkers.net) for links to register for NARAM as well as links to our host hotel, the Cincinnati Marriott North. The hotel page includes a link to book rooms online at the negotiated NARAM rate, drawing from the pool of rooms we've reserved for the meet. While there are some lower cost options in the vicinity of the Marriott, we strongly encourage you to consider staying with the group at the host hotel. Not only is it an excellent facility (no wifi issues here, most rooms freshly updated to LCD HD tv's), but you'll get the full social benefits of spending the off hours with fellow rocketry geeks. I don't think I can top the air-conditioned paint booths available at the Kalamazoo Holiday Inn from N49, but I can assure you this hotel is about as far away on the other end of the spectrum from the N47 Ramada as you can get.

If you encounter bugs or issues, please feel free to report them through [email protected].

--Chan Stevens
N53 Contest Director

but I can assure you this hotel is about as far away on the other end of the spectrum from the N47 Ramada as you can get.

If you encounter bugs or issues, please feel free to report them through [email protected].

--Chan Stevens
N53 Contest Director

You do mean bugs with the website and not in the hotel, right?

You do mean bugs with the website and not in the hotel, right?

I know they have a strict no-pet policy, but I believe bugs can sleep in your room for free :wink:

On a related note, though the park/immediate field is quite a bit smaller than the one we used for N47, it's actually short grass, great condition, and should be thorn, thistle and tick-free for the week.

Is there still a $800 grant for first-time flyers? I would love to go, and this would be perfect for me to be able to attend. I read about it on the NAR website.

Is there still a $800 grant for first-time flyers? I would love to go, and this would be perfect for me to be able to attend. I read about it on the NAR website.

I believe the NAR is still funding some level of financial support for a B divisioner (teen). You'd apply for that through the NAR. There are also some sweet incentives for B division research and development entries offered up annually by Bob Alway which are awarded at the end of the meet.

Yes, I am a teen, and I would be able to participate in two of the contests to get the grant. In division B, would I still be allowed to do HPR? Or rather, are there a lot of HPR flights during NSL?

Yes, I am a teen, and I would be able to participate in two of the contests to get the grant. In division B, would I still be allowed to do HPR? Or rather, are there a lot of HPR flights during NSL?

The NARAM competition is strictly low-mid power, limited to G by the rules book. NARAM also offers sport flying, and is the only national week-long launch within the NAR. Normally there is plenty of opportunity for HPR, though this year the site poses some interesting challenges and is not as wide open as most. We anticipate getting a waiver, but probably fairly low altitude (maybe as little as 3000-3500 feet) which would limit to fairly small HPR motors. We're hoping to resolve the HPR layout and waiver within the next few weeks.

Chan,

The NARAM-53 registration web page states that 'contestants' get a meet patch.

Does this not apply to sport fliers?

That's been pointed out by a couple people now, and I'm trying to confirm it. I'm probably wrong, but if every flyer (even weekend only) gets a patch, then I probably have to adjust the sport flying fee slightly to cover that (less than the $6 patch rate for sure).

Thanks, Chan.

I would probably be fine with the low waiver. I'm only going to be allowed to do L1 anyway. Though I'm looking into going to NSL, as it is a lot closer and there would be a lot more HPR.

{Sorry about the NSL/Naram mixup}

Is there any info on camping for those of us who live cheap?

Depends on how rough you want to rough it. Host hotel is about 3 miles from the very popular tourist attraction King's Island amusement park in Mason OH, field is about 20 minutes' drive north/west of that park. If you google map Kings Island and search nearby, you'll get a number of options.

I haven't camped since I was a college kid, long before the days of GPS, so have no experience with these sites, but from what the local visitor's bureau tells me some decent camping choices would be:

Cedarbrook camping (RV)
tent and cabin options on the Little Miami river
Warren County Visitor's Bureau Campground registry

--Chan Stevens

Depends on how rough you want to rough it. Host hotel is about 3 miles from the very popular tourist attraction King's Island amusement park in Mason OH, field is about 20 minutes' drive north/west of that park. If you google map Kings Island and search nearby, you'll get a number of options.

I haven't camped since I was a college kid, long before the days of GPS, so have no experience with these sites, but from what the local visitor's bureau tells me some decent camping choices would be:

Cedarbrook camping (RV)
tent and cabin options on the Little Miami river
Warren County Visitor's Bureau Campground registry

--Chan Stevens

Thanks Chan. FWIW, I know that a a few others who have, historically , camped out for NARAM. this might be good info
to put on the NARAM website.

At NARAM-50, I found 4 live slugs in my motel room, 2 under a chair and 2 climbing up a wall.

Best Western comped my room for the night and moved me to a slightly better room.

I never thought of that - bring your own bugs an get your room comped, thanks for the tip!:wink:

The early bird registration contest has generated some very positive feedback, and we've now consumed about 75% of the block of rooms held for us at the host hotel. If you're thinking about attending but have not registered yet, I'd strongly encourage you to at least book a hotel reservation, if not actually registering for NARAM itself. There's a good chance if we sell out that I can still add a few more rooms to our block, but that's going to be much more likely if I try to do it in May or June versus in July. Browse over to naram53.quarkers.net, hit the hotel page, and you'll find a fully functioning link to reserve online, maps, etc. As a reminder, we're at a Marriott, excellent condition, and have really beaten them down to a group rate of $89 per night, plus I'm covering free wi-fi for everyone in our block through the meeting room and meal contract, saving everyone the usual nasty $10/day fee that we all think should be free anyway. Reserving your spot at the hotel doesn't cost a dime, so even if cash flow and gas prices are emptying your wallet now, at least reserve your room to make sure you'll have one when you do finally pony up to register for NARAM itself.

The early bird registration contest remains open--anyone registering (and paying) in May gets two entries in the lottery, and in June gets one entry. The lucky winner will be given their hotel room at the host hotel for free (which means you must also be registered at the hotel by June 30th to qualify).

There's also a parallel lottery for anyone staying at the host hotel, winner getting their NARAM contest or sport fee refunded, similar deal. Register by the end of May for 2 entries, by the end of June for 1 entry.

The naram website has been updated slightly, with camping information and links (limited RV parking at the field available--contact me directly). We'll also publish a who's registered list periodically.

--Chan Stevens
NARAM CD

Any info on waiver yet? I have HPR support if you need it,rails,rods,pad or two, launch controller.

The big question in my mind is whether there is going to be any of that famous Cincinnati chili I've heard so much about.

The big question in my mind is whether there is going to be any of that famous Cincinnati chili I've heard so much about.

Regarding the famous chili, it will draw a strong opinion, either love it or hate it. Personally I've always been raised to think chili is fire-breathing hot, loaded with beans, served over rice, etc. When I moved to Cincinnati, I learned the locals serve up something a lot tamer, almost sweet (includes a hint of cinnamon and chocolate), pour it over a heap of spaghetti, and top it with cheddar cheese. They also call sloppy joes "barbecue" and seem to have no idea what a pulled pork sandwich slathered in barbecue sauce would be called.

That said, there are two fierce rivals in the Cincinnati chili empire, each of which have locations within 5 minutes of the hotel, as well as a couple other small joints with more specialty type offerings within about 15 minutes.

The menu for the midweek social is more likely to be southern-style pulled pork barbecue, more broadly appealing and less polarizing than trying to serve up our local "chili" to the masses.

--Chan Stevens

Shamelessly bumping this to remind folk to register before the earlybird deadline...

NARAM site

At long last, you can now officially register to attend NARAM-53, being held July 23-29th in the general vicinity of Cincinnati OH. The registration includes shopping cart functionality through Paypal, so if you intend to pay by check just submit the registration without confirming the subsequent Paypal screen (we're working on a more straightforward approach soon). Reminder--a patch is included free to every competitor, so only order one if you want extra one(s) or are a sport flyer and want one.

One note to sport flyers--we're still working out the logistics of HPR range and waiver, do expect to have some HPR support, but it will certainly not be up to the standards set by previous NARAM's. If you're primarily interested in sport flying big stuff, I'd suggest you hold off on registering until we've finalized and announced the waiver, hopefully within the next few weeks. We do expect ample capability to support high volume/frequent flying of low and mid power sport, though.

I'd also like to announce two give-aways hoping to induce early registration. Shortly before NARAM, we will hold a drawing for one free hotel room for the week. This is open to all registered/paid competitors and full-week sport flyers. Complete your registration and payment by 4/30 and get entered 3 times, by 5/31 for 2 entries, by 6/30 for 1 entry. Registrations after 6/30 will not be elligible for the room giveaway. You must also be registered at the host hotel by 6/30 to be eligible.

The second give-away is a mirror image of the first--we'll draw one lucky winner from the list of people registered to stay at the host hotel, and will refund the entry fee (contest or sport week). Register at the hotel by 4/30 and get 3 entries, by 5/31 and get 2 entries, by 6/30 for 1 entry.

Point your browser to www.naram.org (or directly to www.naram53.quarkers.net) for links to register for NARAM as well as links to our host hotel, the Cincinnati Marriott North. The hotel page includes a link to book rooms online at the negotiated NARAM rate, drawing from the pool of rooms we've reserved for the meet. While there are some lower cost options in the vicinity of the Marriott, we strongly encourage you to consider staying with the group at the host hotel. Not only is it an excellent facility (no wifi issues here, most rooms freshly updated to LCD HD tv's), but you'll get the full social benefits of spending the off hours with fellow rocketry geeks. I don't think I can top the air-conditioned paint booths available at the Kalamazoo Holiday Inn from N49, but I can assure you this hotel is about as far away on the other end of the spectrum from the N47 Ramada as you can get.

--Chan Stevens
N53 Contest Director

Back