NAR National Sport Launch 2005

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
probably my favorite.. i love the blue glow of the motors in the orbiter..

-Chris

Hey gang-

Mike Jerauld asked me to post this .pdf of the flight card data from the NSL. Mighty wide variety of motors flow! Almost 700 flights! Pretty amazing when you consider that the weather made it almost impossible to launch on Friday!

Originally posted by RocketmanTM
Hey gang-

Mike Jerauld asked me to post this .pdf of the flight card data from the NSL. Mighty wide variety of motors flow! Almost 700 flights! Pretty amazing when you consider that the weather made it almost impossible to launch on Friday!

I noticed that there aren't any numbers at all for Friday's launches, but I know that a handful went up. Wonder if those just got rolled into Saturday's stats.

I'm guessing that the B6-4's were what Quest was giving out in the Freeblast sessions, since there were so doggone many of those launched.

WW

I think there were like 5 launches all day on Friday. 3 of which were Andy's pyramid... <grin>

My hat's off to everyone who put together and supported this launch!

I was only able to attend on Saturday, but I had a great time. It was fun to meet so many folks from online, though I didn't always catch everyone's name.

The Plaster City site is great for launching and recovery, but lousy for aerial photos. So I usually don't fly there except when I can launch alongside someone else's rocket, and hopefully catch a shot of it in flight. I made three such attempts on Saturday.

The first was around 11:00. A 1.8" rocket powered by an H97. It was flown next to Jim Groom's big Barbie Rocket, which was powered by an M1315 airstarting three J-somethings. That M motor came up to pressure almost instantly, which is surprising, and got the Barbie Rocket off the pad just ahead of mine. So I didn't get any shots of it in flight.

A couple hours later I tried again, this time with a two-stage, 2.6" diameter rocket powered by a Pro38 I212 in the booster, and an Aerotech I211 in the second stage. It was flown next to Chris Hinds' 5.5" Nike/Smoke, which was powered by a Pro38 J330. A beautiful flight, staging perfectly, but still failed to get the other rocket in any of the pics. Altitude was 3748 feet.

The last flight was late in the day, when the wind was picking up. A 1.8" rocket powered by an H128 and launched alongside Ray Hannon's K1100-powered Honest John. Still no luck getting the other rocket in the pics. Both rockets landed a long ways off due to the wind.

I've posted the best pics from these flights:

https://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=3009006&a=30098271

I also posted some shots from three flights I made back in late April. One was a two-stager powered by a Pro38 I285 and I205, which went to 4552 feet. Conditions were so good that day, that the camera landed just 50 feet from the pad! The rocket was only a bit ****her.

Two smaller rockets were flown on Ellis motors -- first a G35, then an I69. The I69 flight was quite impressive and went to 3002 feet. Would have gone even higher but was launched at a angle. Ejection was a little late on this one, and the rocket lost its chute and impacted somewhere on a rocky hill. The camera payload was successfully recovered.

Those are some nice pictures, Ray. I can see my truck!!. Maybe someday we can try to get a shot of the Deuce lifting off. Do you have the picture you took of me with the Argosy? Thanx,

Tim

Originally posted by kelltym88
Those are some nice pictures, Ray. I can see my truck!!. Maybe someday we can try to get a shot of the Deuce lifting off. Do you have the picture you took of me with the Argosy?

All the shots I took on the ground are still in my camera -- I have to use up the rest of the film before I can get it developed.

The NSL page has been updated with some new pics!

Please note the TRF Banner on the left end of the group shot.

Here's the link.

WW

Drat, I didn't make it into the group photo.

Nice shot of the Vostok launch! Were they able to get the motors out without destroying it?

Back