Two National Sport Launches?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Campbell

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just read the August Electronic Rocketeer and noticed the NAR is planning on offering two National Sport Launches, one east of the Mississippi and one to the west. I think this is a great idea making national events more accessible. The idea was the fall launch might be held Labor Day weekend.

I just read the August Electronic Rocketeer and noticed the NAR is planning on offering two National Sport Launches, one east of the Mississippi and one to the west. I think this is a great idea making national events more accessible. The idea was the fall launch might be held Labor Day weekend.
Great. For families that are willing to take one rocket vacation per year, NARAM attendance drops even lower.

NAR like TRA has a hard enough time getting clubs to host these events...so lets just add one more. Yes it will make it easier for fliers from different coasts to attend but their is still the isdue of getting host clubs.

NAR like TRA has a hard enough time getting clubs to host these events...so lets just add one more. Yes it will make it easier for fliers from different coasts to attend but their is still the isdue of getting host clubs.
Would having the launches be smaller because of a smaller draw area make it easier to get a local club to host? I can see it both ways. On the one hand, hosting 250 people seems easier than hosting 500. On the other hand, a lot of administrative tasks are pretty similar (eg ordering 20 portapotties is more or less the same effort as ordering 10).

Would having the launches be smaller because of a smaller draw area make it easier to get a local club to host? I can see it both ways. On the one hand, hosting 250 people seems easier than hosting 500. On the other hand, a lot of administrative tasks are pretty similar (eg ordering 20 portapotties is more or less the same effort as ordering 10).
Maybe, but the numbers we get from these events are rare since the host clubs dont seem to post an AAR (After Action Report, a military term). How many flights, how many days, how many fliers, all are important info to know before applying, along with whats involved like banquets and other stuff.

I dont believe the draw would be much smaller as it opens up the event to more fliers.

I hope this endeavor is successful. I just saw the Memorial Day NSL is in Alamosa, CO again. That's a 3,000 mile round trip for me and four days on the road for a three day event. I appreciate the NAR working to ensure a second NSL will happen east of the Mississippi later in the year. It should be a more reasonable drive for me. I hope enough eastern clubs submit bids so we can have a second NSL next year.

Latest posts

Back