CMASS Launch and NRC Contest Flying - 14 August 2021 - Acton, MA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We will fly from the Acton School Street field on 14 August from 10 to 4 as long as the weather and the volunteers hold out. As usual, Acton is a small field so we are limited to low- and mid-power rockets. Be careful pairing your motors and rockets to be sure you recover on the field especially as the wind is likely to change direction through the day. There will be food service at this launch. Stay hydrated and fed. Esther's Engines will be on the field; check out this post on our website if you need any motors from her.

Even though Massachusetts has lifted most all restrictions regarding COVID-19, your club would like you to be safe for you and others. People who have not been vaccinated should wear a face cover at all times; people who have been vaccinated have the option to wear one but are encouraged to do so. Please follow this link, read the entire guide, fill out and print the form to bring along to the field. While some of the information in the guide is dated and no longer apply, we still want you to fill out the tracing form. If you do not submit a form, you will not be allowed to fly. Face covers and social distancing will still be required as you line up for the safety check and are near the launch control area. You are responsible for supplying your own face cover.

Thanks to Stephen Maire, this Club launch has been approved by the NAR for flying under the National Rocket Competition (NRC). We will be flying the following contest events:

1/4-A Streamer Duration
1/2-A Rocket Glider
A Parachute Duration
A Helicopter Duration
B Eggloft Altitude (altimeter)
B Altitude (altimeter)
Sport Scale (flight qualification only, no scale judging)

Members attending the launch will be asked to help with the timing events. Members flying the altitude events will need to provide their own altimeter and hardware needed to access the altitude data.
Flying of the contest events will be from 10:30AM to 14:00PM.
Entries must be accompanied by a Contest Flight Card. Cards will be available at the launch, but you may also download a card and complete beforehand at this link: http://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/FC-1.pdf
All entries flown must be flown on an NAR certified engine. The list of certified engines may be found at: https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/CombinedMotorsByImpulse.pdf
Detailed rules for each event may be found in the NAR Pink Book available at: https://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/USMRSC_2019.pdf
Section 13 of Pink Book also describes the structure of competition flying in the NAR.

If you noticed, I mentioned volunteers in the first line and we'll need help with timers during the NRC events. We had a good number of people volunteer at our June and July launches but we need more to fill out the ranks. Please use the sign-up sheet on the club website's home page; if we don't get the help, we can't host a full launch. You must be a Senior member of NAR to work at Safety Check or Launch Control. Anyone can help with set-up and tear-down; no sign-up needed, just lend a hand. To help with the NRC, check with Stephen at the field.

Follow the thread on the website Forum for any further updates.

Me and the boys will be there. Dave and Greg both have experience with some of the duties on the contest range. Also, I have 2 Firefly altimeters that I'd be willing to lend out for any contest flights.

Well that turned out great. The weather held and even became sunny with puffy clouds instead of the predicted thunderstorms although the direct sun with the ambient humidity was a bit much. Lots or participation in the NRC flying events and ample volunteers to have the launch run smoothly even with the reduced set up.

And best of all, we didn't have to clear any cricketeers off the field; maybe they're finally coming around.

I'm happy to hear that your launch went well and that the NRC turnout was good. I look forward to seeing the contest results!

As it was our first NRC launch, lots of flyers didn't have a purpose built model for some of the categories. One of the duration flights was only 20 seconds but that give the participant lots of room to improve through the year. Those who did have competitive models had some good times and altitudes.
We'll see what the numbers show.

As it was our first NRC launch, lots of flyers didn't have a purpose built model for some of the categories. One of the duration flights was only 20 seconds but that give the participant lots of room to improve through the year. Those who did have competitive models had some good times and altitudes.
We'll see what the numbers show.

Hey, we all start somewhere. The whole idea of the NRC is to encourage participation and practice! After I get back from the World Championships, I plan to put together a couple of articles for Sport Rocketry on cheap, relatively easy and competitive models for NRC events.

Hey, we all start somewhere. The whole idea of the NRC is to encourage participation and practice! After I get back from the World Championships, I plan to put together a couple of articles for Sport Rocketry on cheap, relatively easy and competitive models for NRC events.
I wish you well at the World Championships.
Looking forward to seeing your atricles.

Back