Music Break: Post Your Favorite 70s Songs...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was just listening to The Cars album last night.

Others:
Boston, Kansas, Boz Skags,

When I was in college in the mid/late 70's I worked at a high-end stereo shop. There was a company that recorded direct-to-disk (pre-digital), Sheffield Labs. I listened to a lot of Thelma Houston "Pressure Cooker"

Was just listening to The Cars album last night.

Others:
Boston, Kansas, Boz Skags,

When I was in college in the mid/late 70's I worked at a high-end stereo shop. There was a company that recorded direct-to-disk (pre-digital), Sheffield Labs. I listened to a lot of Thelma Houston "Pressure Cooker"

Boz Scaggs - Loan Me A Dime
Grateful Dead - Dark Star
Van Morrison - Cypress Avenue
Traffic - Glad/Freedom Rider
Buddy Miles - Them Changes
Jimi Hendrix (Band of Gypsys) Who Knows
Allman Brothers - take your pick, lol.

There are many good thoughts here, but as others have noted, there is SO MUCH good stuff from the 70s. By far the music from that decade that is most frequently still in regular rotation for me is this entire album:

Not yet mentioned (unless I missed it) is anything from Yes or Emerson, Lake and Palmer, and there's far more good Jethro Tull than has been mentioned so far. And speaking of Yes, Jon Anderson's "Olias of Sunhillow" solo project is another '70s album I still play quite a bit.

Someone further up posted "Convoy" from CW McCall. Well, his backup band, which is now more known for Christmas music, also did stuff like this:

There's arguably better stuff than "Convoy" in CW McCall's catalog, too.

There's lots more good stuff from Billy Joel than "Piano Man".

.....and what about Cat Stevens? For instance:
and

Last edited:
This montage of live performances of Solsbury Hill includes footage from Rockpalast (1978), Live in Athens (1987), Secret World Live (1993), Growing Up Live (2003), New Blood Live (2011) and Back To Front (2013).

This is one of the best live band performances that I've ever seen!

I could have swore this was from the 80s... Nope... 1977
Not quite.

Buggles formed in 1977, released "Video Killed the Radio Star" single in 1979 (so it qualifies for this thread), "The Age of Plastic" (album) was released in 1980.

Age of Plastic is a fantastic album, by the way.
There are many good thoughts here, but as others have noted, there is SO MUCH good stuff from the 70s. By far the music from that decade that is most frequently still in regular rotation for me is this entire album:

Larry Fast is my #1 electronic music hero, and I love all the Synergy stuff but Sequencer is my #1 by far. Includes this smoking version of Mason Williams' Classical Gas:

I'm surprised no one had put up American Pie yet.

Neil, there is another version of Classical Gas on the European release of Electronic Realizations for Rock Orchestra.

I guess Classical Gas itself needs to be in the 1960s thread, since it came out in 1968.

Last edited:
Neil, You're going to make me put it on now and listen to both versions, aren't you.....?

added: OK - just listened to the version from the first Passport CD issue of Sequencer and the remastered First Contact version of ERRO and the differences aren't huge, but there are some voicing choices and such that are definitely different. It's not unlike the differences between the version of Warriors on the original ERRO and the version on Reconstructed Artifacts on Third Contact from 2002.

As an aside, I've often wondered, knowing that Classical Gas was on ERRO in Europe, what the European release of Sequencer was like....it either had to have another version of Classical Gas (seems silly only a year later) or it was really short (Sequencer with Classical Gas is only 37 minutes) or it had something else entirely on it. If that was the case, I wonder what it was....

Last edited:
Back