MonGoose Unboxing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't the nosecone graphite?

That is what the kit says, but as this thread will go on, it seems like its fiberglass with a coloring coating; and that is good.

No ohms reading comes from the nose cone. Graphite is conductive so well, we can make our own guess. Later you will see some other tests.

The reason its good as on a carbon rocket you want the nose cone to be transparent to radio waves.

Hey, the unboxing is going at warp speed this time round - only 1 page in and we have seen all the parts, part of a motor and discovered that amazingly the metal parts of the nosecone conduct electricity.

Whatever next - page 2 and we get to see the adhesive? I can hardly control myself, I think I'll have to go and drink a bottle of real beer to calm down ;)

bombardier.jpeg

Here is a new post to show clearly to Troj that this motor pipe is not the one he remembers seeing abused :eek:

You can see how this pipe will almost fill the MonGoose all the way up ;)

UhOh; what looks wrong in this picture ?

monpipetube.jpg

Here is a new post to show clearly to Troj that this motor pipe is not the one he remembers seeing abused :eek:

monpipetube.jpg

A big scratch on the body tube?

What's wrong with it?

What's wrong is that Deb is smokin' yer....ahem....in terms of progress.

She's about halfway done building her Level 2, rather than putzing around with unboxing it. :p

-Kevin

What's wrong with it?

What's wrong is that Deb is smokin' yer....ahem....in terms of progress.

She's about halfway done building her Level 2, rather than putzing around with unboxing it. :p

-Kevin

I've heard she is tellin' folk that she will get her L3 before you do :eek:

<duck, duck, I better duck >

Last edited:
I've heard she is tellin' folk that she will get her L3 before you do :eek:

<duck, duck, I better duck >

All will be forgiven when you ship that Mongoose to me.... :D

Nah, she's not telling people that. But other folks are stating it. We shall see!

-Kevin

Did your Mongoose 54 come with any assembly hints (hints because it's been a long time since I've seen really good assembly instructions)? Any documentation on using that nifty epoxy?

The kit is pretty straight forward.....
I was able to find a parts list with an exploded view:
https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/pdf/Kits/Perf_Rocketry/mongoose54.pdf
as to where the parts go.
I bought one & just need to finalize the electronics package & beef up one fillet on the fins. The only problem I had was how far up the fins were from the bottom of the tube.

JD

Did your Mongoose 54 come with any assembly hints (hints because it's been a long time since I've seen really good assembly instructions)? Any documentation on using that nifty epoxy?

The only problem I had was how far up the fins were from the bottom of the tube.

JD

They should be mounted 1-1/2 calipers from The rear. On a 3in tube 1 caliper is 3in. or diameter of tube.

Example: 75mm or 3in..... fins should be 3 to 4 1/2 in. from rear of tube.

This allows fin turbulence to settle down and restore laminar flow.

Exact placement is left up to user based on his design/finished weight etc.

The kit is pretty straight forward.....
I was able to find a parts list with an exploded view:
https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/pdf/Kits/Perf_Rocketry/mongoose54.pdf
as to where the parts go.
I bought one & just need to finalize the electronics package & beef up one fillet on the fins. The only problem I had was how far up the fins were from the bottom of the tube.

JD
What are you going to do with attaching the fins. Are you using carbon fiber cloth strips for fin tip to valley to next fin tip to re enforce then to the body tube. Just surface mounting and epoxy filleting doesn't seem enough for motors this bird can take.

Last edited:
I found out from asking others that have built MD rockets before....

JD

They should be mounted 1-1/2 calipers from The rear. On a 3in tube 1 caliper is 3in. or diameter of tube.

Example: 75mm or 3in..... fins should be 3 to 4 1/2 in. from rear of tube.

This allows fin turbulence to settle down and restore laminar flow.

Exact placement is left up to user based on his design/finished weight etc.

Back