METRA Launch October 5th and 6th 2013

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick2b

Reaction score
METRA Annouces its first launch of 2013
October 5,6 at Pine Island

1. Launch will be in the field behind the forward tree line - a new area on the same property
- Watch the Metra website for directions and details about how to get to the location on the property
2. Altitude waiver will be to 4,500 feet AGL
3. Impulse Limit is "M" as long as you stay under the waiver
4. Launch fees for this launch will be $10 One Day / $15 Two Day
5. Flyers have to sign the Tripoli Waiver
6. Up-to-date Tripoli and NAR members are welcome / METRA membership not necessary
7. Launch rules will be Tripoli National Research Rules
- Under 18 years old not permitted on high power range (except for certification with mentor)
8. Low power pads will be set up and an "F" and "G" pad will be setup in the same area
9. High Power pads will be in a separate area

NOTE: On our old field, down by the river, there is a sod cash crop where we used to park. PLEASE DO NOT GO OVER THERE FOR ANY REASON!

FINALLY -- We are trying to count interested parties. If you are thinking of coming to the launch, please confirm your planned attendance via email to [email protected].

Great to finally hear this news! I plan on being there, weather permitting of course.

Man is that some great news,,,,,,,,,,,,
The fruits of yours and Randy's labor,,,,,,,,,
Thank you so much everyone that worked so hard for so long to make this happen........
I'll be there on Saturday Mickey.........

Teddy

I'll be there at least one of the two days. Its great to see this great club back in gear! :)

Thank you to Randy and everyone who made this happen!

Jim Z

Man I wish I could make it but I'm not available that weekend! It's awesome to see METRA up and running again though!! Thanks to everyone who put so much time and effort in to make this happen!!

And now free BBQ! How happy does this make me? As happy as me at a free BBQ :)

We have a November launch scheduled, too! Hopefully you'll make that one.

G**2
TRA 129
NAR 24025
METRA BoD

Wildman CT will be there! I'll be a little late on sat because WildTrey has a soccer game first, then it's on to nirvana......

Wish I could be there, but I'll be in the Dominican...I think that's acceptable, right? Maybe November?

Dan:

That's wholly and totally unacceptable. You must fly back to fly rockets.....after all, that's not so far away :>

"Plan" to be there for the ribbon cutting ceremony. :clap:
Will post schedule on home page.

May have new star and finocyl mandrels ready by then.

4500'...
either static burns or
Ill need a bucket of lead.

"Plan" to be there for the ribbon cutting ceremony. :clap:
Will post schedule on home page.

May have new star and finocyl mandrels ready by then.

4500'...
either static burns or
Ill need a bucket of lead.

Ed,

I would like to see them star mandrels (teflon or the hard plastic?). We can talk more about my 4.5" 22000Ns case also...:clap:
I already used your old plastic finocyl mandrels for a 2 grain 3300Ns finocyl 75mm red that I flew in my concept 75 to 14000ft at MDRA in 2008 (and 2011).

-John

Last edited:
The weather is looking good!
I hope to fly some rockets that have been sitting for too long.

JD

There was a report on the TRA Mail List that the FAA was not responding to waiver activation requests. I hope this does not affect the launch,

Saturday or Sunday? Weather channel says less chance of rain on Sunday, but free barbecue on Saturday. What to do...

Waiver activation is handled by another group that has nothing to due with the forced shut down.

JD

There was a report on the TRA Mail List that the FAA was not responding to waiver activation requests. I hope this does not affect the launch,

Club email states that the NOTAM went thru. Makes sense, it's sorta safety critical thing.

Gotta say that today at METRA was about the best day of rocket flying you could ever ask for. Perfect weather and perfect flights added to a nice relaxed feel at the flight line made a absolutely wonder day of flying rockets. Well done METRA!

Yup. kudos to those who spent so much of their personal time and expended so much effort to restore the waiver. The new launch site is even better than the previously one, too.

Totally agree. While I attended as a spectator today it was totally worth the drive. I didn't have anything ready that I could fly but I will for the next time I attend for sure. I picked up some motors from Rick of Wildman CT while there. I absolutely love the new launch area and hope they continue to have the events there. How can you argue with this ? -

IMG_2753.JPG

Do we use the same entrance to the farm as we used to by the Silo? Not familiar with the new location. Last time I was at METRA was 2010.

Do we use the same entrance to the farm as we used to by the Silo? Not familiar with the new location. Last time I was at METRA was 2010.

Yes. Enter the same place you used to. As you drive into the farm and eventually cross the small bridge over the river, make the right, and you'll be on a dirt road which takes you right along and past where they used to launch from. It is all soybean in the fields we used to fly from. Continue along that dirt road, as it wraps around to the other side of the farm. That is where they are now flying from. Its a bit of a drive around but there are a few signs along the way. :)

Jim Z

Back