Mars Leaper build and launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was really excited about this one (my 6 year old had been begging for it all year), but was startled by the poor quality of the appearance up close. Just a cheap piece of foam for the most part.

Deezil

Reaction score
I was really excited about this one (my 6 year old had been begging for it all year), but was startled by the poor quality of the appearance up close. Just a cheap piece of foam for the most part.
Yep, its just a chunk of chucky foam, that said, its pretty cool, Id recommend it.

rklapp

NAR# 109557
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see on a A10-0T if it will land on it's legs...

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
With all due respect to the guy doing the video, not much for following instructions.

he read, “tape the legs”. He didn’t tape the legs.

he read, “ A10-0 is only recommended motor”. Both flights were with delay motors.

and we wonder when KIDS have problems with rockets!

Antares JS

Professional Amateur
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm surprised by people being surprised that it was a piece of foam. What else would it be to get a shape like that? Plastic would be too heavy.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hollow vacuum formed plastic maybe? Not sure, but honestly the quality is pretty bad up close...

jrap330

Retired Engineer, NAR # 76940
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Not much to build, but its odd!
Dont see much about the Leaper, ENJOY!
Instructions don't state to friction fit motor in? Better chance it would land upright on its legs.,

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Novelty Item, one that will be collectable. Buy a few, put em in a closet and forget them for 12-15 years.
The whole Destination Mars Line should be collectable in the future.
Who would have guessed all those rockets we built and flew as a kid would worth so much today?

Scott_650

Reaction score
Instructions don't state to friction fit motor in? Better chance it would land upright on its legs.,
Yes, the instructions tell you to friction fit the motor but also says the motor is supposed to eject.

jrap330

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, the instructions tell you to friction fit the motor but also says the motor is supposed to eject.
Contradiction in Motor mounting terminology.

neil_w

Good at some things
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Contradiction in Motor mounting terminology.
Well, you need enough friction in there to ensure the motor won't fall out the back while sitting on the pad. One wrap of tape is usually enough for that.

Friction fit to prevent ejection is quite a bit tighter and requires more tape.

So I think what they're saying makes sense, although if they didn't say it then a few more words of explanation would be useful. Estes instructions these days are mighty short on words.

jrap330

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I think keeping it in will definitely aid in it landing upright.

Daddyisabar

Oddrocs Rule!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Another foamy horror show from Estes? Long live RTF oddrocs! Will the RSO give a pad assignment? Is enough idiot factor built into the kit? I survived the X15 and the Spaceship One E!

KenECoyote

TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Haha, kidding aside, the kid in me wants one....or two! 😁

Deezil

Reaction score
I should get another one, its pretty neat

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For what it's worth, despite my previous complaints about the appearance - it's a cool kit. Flies well and a lot of fun. My son loves it.

mrwalsh85

Reaction score
Bought one on a whim on a "stealth" trip to Hobby Lobby to pick up my daughter from my parent's on Saturday. Thought "well, haven't had time to prep for a rocket launch tomorrow... Hey, a rocket I can fly!"... Smallest motor I've flown in 20 years. LOL

Wouldn't ignite using the estes igniters. So, I inserted a 3/8" long piece of thermite in the nozzle and stuck an estes igniter. Seemed like a Boost-Sustain thrust curve.. LOL I wonder if the thermite gave it that extra kick off the pad.

Did not land upright. Oh well.

Motor was a snug fit.

Folks loved it. I'll keep it to fly at random events and maybe pick up another to put in the closet. Maybe it'll become a collectible someday.

r12ski

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm surprised by people being surprised that it was a piece of foam. What else would it be to get a shape like that? Plastic would be too heavy.
I wrote the first of the one star reviews on Estes website. I'll admit, it is fun to fly, and I should of waited until I had flown it before writing the review, but there's a couple things that bug me about the foam and the appearance.

My gripe isn't about using foam per se, it is the quality of the foam. I could pick nearly any foam model RTF airplane at the hobby store and the foam would be better. On the Lepper, you can see the pellets. You know those big foam airplane gliders? The foam is like that.

Here are three photos. The first is from Estes website. The second is how it comes in the box. The third is it flight ready, Alpha III for scale.
ESTES_IMG_Product_Leaper_DestinationMars_SideFlame_1000x1000px_Web_7297.jpg
C3EAECDC-B5B7-4CD0-B5C7-7186BBF6D9B7.jpeg
1E615B84-5186-45D6-993E-C29A9ADA01F4_1_201_a.jpeg

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it's pretty disappointing in that respect. Particularly as one that will probably get a lot of attention and bring people to or push them away from rocketry.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've only launched mine two or three times, but it's looking good so far on grass landings.