Is Estes using pyrogen again?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This AM, my Star Orbiter finally arrived after what feels like 2 or 3 weeks since I ordered it. Unsurprisingly, it came with a Mars Leaper as the mystery rocket (I now have two).... But interestingly, the pack of D12-3 motors it also came with have a dark blob on the ignitors, which makes me think Estes has gone back to using pyrogen on their ignitors, unless I've gotten some old stock motors. Not sure yet. Has anyone else noticed anything interesting or unusual about the ignitors??

The came up with a new BATFE compliant pyrogen, and have stopped making the yellow pyrogen igniters that were a stopgap offering.

In interviews, Estes does not refer to StarTech coating as pyrogen, just an energetic coating. Easily distinguished by its gray color. Previous starters had a yellowish tip, which was not definitely not pyrogen or any sort of energetic substance, and the venerable Solar Igniters had a black coating. Solars seem more energetic to me, but the StarTech starters are a big improvement over the previous starters.

Back