2023-Estes Discontinues 5 More Kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might….though you’d have to cut your own TTW slots in the Olympus tube to do that. That said, I really like the Green Eggs proportions, but having the longer motor tube and the screw-on retainer that Olympus has would be nice.

Right now the tube coupler and the plastic nose cone/payload adapter are on the EDU site and some length of BT-65 (it doesn’t say how long) is on the regular site. The plastic is shown as white, so Olympus rather than the yellow version in the Green Eggs kit. Since there is no mention of slots, I’d think that the BT-65 would be also the same part as is in the Olympus kit. I’m not where I can look at part numbers to see.

BTW, I have just found that eRockets is selling individual Green Eggs kits in bulk packaging (so no fancy header card/face card and such) for less than AC Supply is selling the retail kits. In fact, now that I think of it, eRockets is probably where I got my late Green Eggs that I’d been flying.

And indeed a rocket based on either of these kits, if it were different enough from the stock kit to pass muster with respect to the TARC rule that says “Rockets may not be commercially-made kits designed to carry egg payloads with the only modification being the addition of an altimeter compartment” would easily do this year’s task. All that would absolutely be required would be to set it up for two parachutes. That nose cone has plenty of room in it for a Pnut….

Last edited:
Right now the tube coupler and the plastic nose cone/payload adapter are on the EDU site and some length of BT-65 (it doesn’t say how long) is on the regular site. The plastic is shown as white, so Olympus rather than the yellow version in the Green Eggs kit. Since there is no mention of slots, I’d think that the BT-65 would be also the same part as is in the Olympus kit. I’m not where I can look at part numbers to see.
It's the 23.5" tubing that was unavailable for a month. THANK YOU for mentioning this. I had given up on checking stock of it.

In good news, Estes is asking distributors to place initial orders for #9722 So Long, which generally indicates release by late February or sometime in March.
In more good news, Estes shows stock of more 29mm motors than they have in many months. No F15s yet, but they have the E16-0, -6, and -8. Crossing my fingers they have plenty of motors when So Long hits the market.

The BS Hazmat fee will always limit sales for E and F powered rockets.

Last edited:
Mallory Langford in the chat mentioned there would be more 29mm BP motors in the near future.

In fact, I think Mallory answered more questions than Ellis did during his presentation.
Bob, is there any way to get to a transcript of that chat? I just tried to go to the replay of the Manufacturers Forum that is currently running and just saw a blank chat area and a note that it was closed. I would LOVE to read what Mallory posted.

Bob, is there any way to get to a transcript of that chat? I just tried to go to the replay of the Manufacturers Forum that is currently running and just saw a blank chat area and a note that it was closed. I would LOVE to read what Mallory posted.
I don't know.

I was busy paying attention to the time and making sure things were working that I only noticed Mallory posting things in passing.

I don't know.

I was busy paying attention to the time and making sure things were working that I only noticed Mallory posting things in passing.
The question is, were they somehow captured in the Zoom meeting recording so that they can be played back/transcribed. I don't know the specifics of Zoom recordings well enough to know if that happens automatically, or if you have to do it on purpose, or if it isn't possible. If it wasn't automatic, it's probably lost as you were too busy doing a fine job just managing the speakers last night.

The question is, were they somehow captured in the Zoom meeting recording so that they can be played back/transcribed. I don't know the specifics of Zoom recordings well enough to know if that happens automatically, or if you have to do it on purpose, or if it isn't possible. If it wasn't automatic, it's probably lost as you were too busy doing a fine job just managing the speakers last night.
I watched the beginning of the replay - I missed the Flis Kits segment - the chat function was marked down so I’m guessing that its gone. Hopefully I’m wrong and someone more tech savvy than me (which isn’t much of a challenge) has a better solution.

I watched the beginning of the replay - I missed the Flis Kits segment - the chat function was marked down so I’m guessing that its gone. Hopefully I’m wrong and someone more tech savvy than me (which isn’t much of a challenge) has a better solution.
Yeah, the Zoom recording wasn't started last night until after FlisKits presented.

IIRC, the So long and Great Goblin will debut in June and the Black Brant XII in September.

Last edited:
The BS Hazmat fee will always limit sales for E and F powered rockets.
I do joint orders with a friend from AC Supply. We easily go over the $100 floor for free shipping, and we split the Hazmat fee. When the F15-0 finally returns to stock there, I'll probably see if I can rope in a few other locals who are interested in flying the F15-0/F15-n combination and split the Hazmat even further.

Or just buy one of the many, many non-hazmat Aerotech motors that work great with the bigger Estes rockets.
I may do that, but they are more expensive and I prefer longer burn time motors. A pack of 3. E-12s for under $20 is hard to pass up. To be fair I only use E and F motors at Club Launches that have larger fields so I only used about 25 E-12s and 5 F-15s last year. Hope to use a lot more this year as I'm moving away from anything smaller than a BT-55.

Dragonite is a solid beginner rocket for little kids. No glue necessary, it snaps together. They almost can’t screw it up. Both of my kids loved building theirs. And it’s a great flyer. I hope Estes replaces it with something similar.

My wife was at Hobby Lobby and told me they had a Dragonite for cheap. In my head, I heard "Vulcanite" (which is a completely unrelated LOC product-38mm body), and told her to get it.

It wasn't as I had imagined. I think it completes itself when you open the package.

So another for the build pile. I've got to attach these timers and altimeters to something when testing.

It's the 23.5" tubing that was unavailable for a month. THANK YOU for mentioning this. I had given up on checking stock of it.
Unfortunately these BT-65 tubes turned out not to exist. They were evidently added to the inventory by mistake. Oh well. I can still just about turn two Olympuses into the rocket I had planned, ending up with spares I can't use for much. Or I can find a local buyer for them and move on to 1.9", which is what I'm inclined to do.

Unfortunately these BT-65 tubes turned out not to exist. They were evidently added to the inventory by mistake. Oh well. I can still just about turn two Olympuses into the rocket I had planned, ending up with spares I can't use for much. Or I can find a local buyer for them and move on to 1.9", which is what I'm inclined to do.

If you bought them at HL, just take them back.

If you bought them at HL, just take them back.
Good point. One of them has been opened. I wonder if that's still returnable. I also wonder if I can find the receipts. Edit: found 'em! :cool: Edit again: Returned them. So endeth my brief flirtation with BT-65.

Last edited:
I was in my local hobby shop yesterday, and they told me that their main distributor notified them of 5 more discontinued Estes kits. They are:

#2169 Dragonite
#2452 Athena (still available in the #5304 launch set)
#7283 MAV (currently in the Estes warehouse sale)
#7297 Mars Leaper (we all knew that would happen)
#7301 Green Eggs (surprising, but still available in the #1718 bulk pack)

In good news, Estes is asking distributors to place initial orders for #9722 So Long, which generally indicates release by late February or sometime in March.
The only one I care about is the MAV. I adding some detail to mine, and painted it. I might buy another to get spare legs (those pads on landing gear are fragile). The nose cone is worthy of a scratch-build “something”.

Attachments

• 3FB9979E-003B-47D5-B698-4BE8E254DEF1.jpeg
    3FB9979E-003B-47D5-B698-4BE8E254DEF1.jpeg
    763.2 KB · Views: 2
Yeah, Estes seems to be almost completely away from BT-70 and rapidly heading that way with BT-65. But that's weird, because it leaves BT-60 at 1.64" and BT-80 at 2.6" and with the discontinuation of PSII in 2- and 2.5-inch sizes, nothing in between. I kinda like their 2-inch stuff and would like to see more of it.

Was just looking at alternatives to the Estes 2-inch, and it's interesting to me that there are so few (only one, really) that are very close.

Estes 2-inch is 2.00 OD x 0.030 wall

Just doing a screen cap from https://www.erockets.biz/body-tube-sizes/:

erockets tube sizes 2-in plus-minus.png

Almost everything in this range is either 1/3 lighter or 50 percent thicker wall.

The closest is probably LOC 1.9-inch, which according to an email I received from Jason Turicik, is 1.87 inches outside diameter and 1.82 inches inside diameter, for a wall thickness of 0.025. That's a little bigger and a little heavier than BT-65, so it's kind of in-between BT-65 and Estes 2-inch in all aspects.

Fortunately, LOC seems to be doing well and may do even better with the recent assist from Estes.

If wanting to approximate 2.00 OD x 0.03 wall, have you considered the BMS ST-20 coupler stock?
They list it as 1.997x1.929x34 inch long T204 coupler stock.

I hadn't gone down the "coupler stock as body tube" path. I have BMS coupler material in BT-50, BT-55 and BT-60. It all has a nice, toothy outer surface excellent for gluing and nice, forgiving friction fits if used for separable joints. I reckon it would take a ton of primer/filler to smooth it out. Or maybe just skinning it with a catalyzed system like Evercoat filler.

Plus, that's 0.035 wall and getting up toward the 0.040 wall stuff. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was heavier than 0.040 - 0.045 wall glassined tube due to the extra filler once you got it as smooth.

The more I've been mulling it over, the more I like the LOC 1.9-inch as an alternative.

The more I've been mulling it over, the more I like the LOC 1.9-inch as an alternative.

Another fun fact I just figured out:

0.736 * 2.54 = 1.869

LOC 1.9-inch tube is 1.870 OD. So to upscale anything BT-20 to LOC 1.9 inch, you measure the BT-20 rocket in cm and build the upscale that many inches. Get a ruler marked in tenths of inches and you can just go mm to tenths, super easy.

Similarly,

0.544 * 2.54 = 1.382

Quest 35mm tube is 1.380 OD. So to upscale anything BT-5 to Quest 35mm, you measure the BT-5 rocket in cm and build the upscale that many inches.

Found another good option in the 2-inch range: Quest 50mm

https://aerotech-rocketry.com/products/body-tube-50mm-24-white-q11700Body Tube 50mm, 1.921 ID x 1.970 OD .025 Wall 24" LG. Kraft/Glassine White Out

Basically the same as the LOC 1.9-in, just 0.10 in larger OD.

The one NC listed on the AT site is at least a welcome departure from the overly-long needle-like ogives that Estes is so fond of. It looks good on the several "Enerjet" mid-power kits it's used in:

https://aerotech-rocketry.com/products/50mm-plastic-nose-cone-q2025050mm diameter plastic nose cone. Blow molded, one piece.
SPECS: 50mm diameter x 6.0 length. 2.5" shoulder.

I'm actually liking Quest sizes more and more.
20mm fits an Eggfinder Mini, and is heavier wall to work well with the D13 & D24 18/20 loads
30mm is a lighter, smaller OD MD than 29mm MMT on a 29mm motor
50mm is in that otherwise unoccupied 2-inch zone, and fairly light

Ima hafta build a couple of them when I get to it.

Last edited:
No couplers for Quest 50mm is the chief reason I don't use it more. Well, that and its being off the market for a long while after the website change.

Can make couplers from body tube of course, but I've never had results as good as actual coupler tube.

Oh, I did, not long after I saw the tube and cone reappear. Sadly, they informed me there is not and never was a 50mm coupler. (This matched what I remembered from when I bought my 50mm parts before the website change.)

And yes, they do have parts that are only appearing on their site as people ask for them. The non-spaceship, non-egg-carrying 35mm nose cone and the 35mm coupler were both added when I inquired after them.

Back