Looking for a good kit for Jr. L1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're right. The 180 case is probably at least enough for me for a while. I was just looking at all my options.

Actually for the price of the floating closure you can buy another casing, later when you gone need it. Ask around resellers, my reseller refund me the full price of that motor + the reload last spring, in return of my certification attempt paper sign by the RSO ( you don’t need to be successful , I was ) he said it was a special from AT

If it were me, and cost was the major issue, I'd go with a 29/180 case and closures, and a 29mm H reload. There are four reloads available for that case, including the G75. Later on, if you want to step it up, you can add a 29/240 case. Or a 29/120 case if you want to step it down.

If it were me, and cost was the major issue, I'd go with a 29/180 case and closures, and a 29mm H reload. There are four reloads available for that case, including the G75. Later on, if you want to step it up, you can add a 29/240 case. Or a 29/120 case if you want to step it down.

I think I like that Idea. The casings themselves aren't that expensive. The closures look to add quite a bit.

RMS and CTI hardware are gateway drugs.

One case is never enough. One set of closures is never enough. Before you know it, you need a seperate range box for your motor hardware.

....Before you know it, you need a seperate range box for your motor hardware.

Only one ? :lol::lol::lol:

Nate no worry if you part of a club they gone know you and you will be able to borrow casing, some will even give you reloads for free. Many peoples like to help young to do something else than computers.

Last edited:
RMS and CTI hardware are gateway drugs.

One case is never enough. One set of closures is never enough. Before you know it, you need a seperate range box for your motor hardware.

Ain't that the truth!

Only one ? :lol::lol::lol:

Nate no worry if you part of a club they gone know you and you will be able to borrow casing, some will even give you reloads for free. Many peoples like to help young to do something else than computers.

Or girls...

Yeah, a wonderful guy by the name of Ted Chernok (onebadhawk) has been so kind as to give me a reload or two, and even a 29/40-120, along with invaluable knowledge. He's a great guy!

Madcow has many kits as low as 50 dollars that will suit your needs. Use an AT H135 SU and put off the whole reload casings and spacer bilge for another day. Nute this is not difficult. It need not be dragged out into a four page tome of choices.

H single use motor and a 50 dollar kit.

BTW Most dealers will loan the casing if you (or adult dude) buys the reload.

Last edited:
Madcow has many kits as low as 50 dollars that will suit your needs. Use an AT H135 SU and put off the whole reload casings and spacer bilge for another day. Nute this is not difficult. It need not be dragged out into a four page tome of choices.

H single use motor and a 50 dollar kit.

BTW Most dealers will loan the casing if you (or adult dude) buys the reload.

The SU motor is something I hadn't put much thought into actually. It would save money for one flight, but requires HAZMAT shipping, and I don't know any places I could buy it in person.
It's a good idea in theory though, It's just the logistics of attaining one, that makes it difficult

I am as well. There are a thousand ways to do a cert. thinking about it is half the journey of learning. Setting goals and how to achieve them.

It's a lot like losing your virginity, endless amounts of thought, nervous, planning and decisions. Then it never goes like you thought and afterwards you're left thinking "that was it?"

Last edited:
It's a lot like losing your virginity, endless amounts of thought, nervous, planning and decisions. Then it never goes like you thought and afterwards you're left thinking "that was it?"

Okay...

I can't believe that I'm contributing to this thread but here it goes.

1) If you're sold on Aerotech here is a really good price on a 29mm case and closures: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-has-Aerotech-29-180-complete-motor-for-25-99
2) You're completely stuck in analysis paralysis. gdjsky01 says it clearly: A $50 kit with a 29mm hole. Borrow a case, use a SU or buy the one from Red Arrow above.
3) Poop or get off the pot.

In the end, building a HPR is the same as a LPR its just bigger with some slightly different techniques depending on the raw materials. It would seem that after 4 pages of chatter you have a pretty good idea on what needs to be done as well as more options than anyone really needs. If you get a paper/ply rocket it will be very, very similar to your basic Estes rocket. You are totally making this out to be more than it is.

It seems to me that if you're that concerned about cost you might want to hold off on crossing into HPR because it is a strange vacuum for any funds you might have laying around.

Good luck and enjoy the road to spending a LOT more on this hobby than you planned.

I think I've made a decision. I will go ahead with a scratch build, most likely a 4" diameter, but possibly 3". I'll keep a 29mm mount in it, and borrow a 29/180 case for the cert flight on (most likely) an H128. Then, if funds allow, I'll purchase a 29/180 case for myself, but, if I can find a good price on it, the 29/180-240 set from Aerotech. my onsite vendor, has a program where he will sell you a reload, and let you borrow the case. they are also participating in the CTI cert. special as previously discussed. if, for any reason, the Aerotech cert. becomes undoable, this is my backup plan.

Sorry if I seemed unfriendly. I just feel TRF has a wealth of information in the 'Search Text Box'.
It's FUN looking at all the choices. I just felt the thread got off onto the whole "Spacer vs Casing" thing. And scratch vs kit. Yada yada yada. And really that IS covered well by spending a few hours hugging the Search Box.

Good luck! And start a build thread so we can all follow along. Look up this dude's threads (qquake2k). He's built 4,002,120 rockets. He has scratch building down to a Tee (nut). They are clean, functional, fun, high quality, and WAY over built :lol: So going too high should not be an issue!

Good luck!

Sorry if I seemed unfriendly. I just feel TRF has a wealth of information in the 'Search Text Box'.
It's FUN looking at all the choices. I just felt the thread got off onto the whole "Spacer vs Casing" thing. And scratch vs kit. Yada yada yada. And really that IS covered well by spending a few hours hugging the Search Box.

Good luck! And start a build thread so we can all follow along. Look up this dude's threads (qquake2k). He's built 4,002,120 rockets. He has scratch building down to a Tee (nut). They are clean, functional, fun, high quality, and WAY over built :lol: So going too high should not be an issue!

Good luck!

no, you're right, I should have used the search function before starting new thread. I've seen some build's from Qquake2k, but will certainly check out some more before starting my build.

Build thread will come once parts are acquired, and final bits of the design worked out.

Nute, I don't know if you noticed the thread in the MPR section but red arrow hobbies has the complete 29/180 motor on sale for like 26 bucks. They won't last long now that this crowd knows about it.

Back