Help identify a mystery HPR, circa 1990

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2-0turbo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I keep calling it my EZI-65 clone, but it's not a LOC rocket. I'm back into the hobby after a very long absence. I kept a bunch of my rockets from the 1980's and early 1990's. I have one in particular that I just can't remember who made it. It is a 4" rocket, LOC components, 57 3/4" long. The fin shape, payload bay (that's what we called them back then because there were no electronics) and such make it look almost exactly like a LOC EZI-65. And it weights about 3-lbs. So, very similar--but I know it's not a LOC kit.

Here is the interesting part that might tip off the manufacturer for you "experienced" folks. It came from the manufacturer with interchangeable motor mounts. The rear of the 4" body tube has a coupler installed to thicken the base of the rocket and make it essentially double-wall thickness. The fin tabs protrude through the wall of the tube/coupler combo, but only by 1/4". The fin tabs have some notches cut in them and you can insert a motor mount, turn it 20-45 degrees and lock it in place. Quite a cool design!

I loved (and still do) clusters, so this rocket really whispered to me all those years ago. : ) I bought a bunch of centering rings and made a bunch of motor mounts: single 38mm, single 54mm, dual 29mm, triple 38mm, 5X 29mm and one of my favorites, single 29mm with six 24mm around the outside. Can you say airstarts? I knew you could. You could make about whatever you wanted. Seems to be a lot like the current LOC MMA system.

So I picked this rocket up in the late 1980's or early 1990's--I can't really remember now. But for the life of me, I can't remember the manufacturer or the name of the rocket. Any ideas? I'm wracking my brain and in Openrocket, I'm calling it "EZI-65 clone" because I simply can't remember who made it. Here's a few pictures to get the ideas flowing. Thanks!

PS: The astute reader will notice the action shot I provided doesn't seem to have a symmetrical thrust plume. You would be correct in your assumption. This was a five-motor G flight and I obviously didn't get them all lit. Skywriting ensued, followed by a banged-up rocket. Picture from HOTSHOT (Georgia) back in 1994 at the sod farm for those of you who might remember back that far.

Attachments

• Mystery rocket1.jpg
    Mystery rocket1.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8583.jpg
    IMG_8583.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8584.jpg
    IMG_8584.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8585.jpg
    IMG_8585.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8586.jpg
    IMG_8586.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 0
The rear of the 4" body tube has a coupler installed to thicken the base of the rocket and make it essentially double-wall thickness. The fin tabs protrude through the wall of the tube/coupler combo, but only by 1/4". The fin tabs have some notches cut in them and you can insert a motor mount, turn it 20-45 degrees and lock it in place

Is it held in place by the rotated position, or is there something to secure it?

AAA Pennsylvania Crude ... 4" dia x 57" long, came with lots of adapters for Vulcan and AT.
View attachment 618919
Well, I guess so! Sure looks like it. I was expecting an “ah ha!” moment and I’m not getting it with that name or company. Fins are a little different, but seems pretty close. This is the rocket I’m planning on doing my L2 with on a AT SU J270.

Is it held in place by the rotated position, or is there something to secure it?
Nothing holds them in place—just turning friction. I’ve thought about adding a small lock screw to the tube OD to help prevent accidents. The 5X 29mm in particular only turns a tiny bit when you install it, as the motor tubes hit on the fin tabs.

Well, I guess so! Sure looks like it. I was expecting an “ah ha!” moment and I’m not getting it with that name or company. Fins are a little different, but seems pretty close. This is the rocket I’m planning on doing my L2 with on a AT SU J270.
I think the fins look shorter in the drawing because of the perspective angle. They may have had variations in the fin pattern for other years.

Nothing holds them in place—just turning friction. I’ve thought about adding a small lock screw to the tube OD to help prevent accidents. The 5X 29mm in particular only turns a tiny bit when you install it, as the motor tubes hit on the fin tabs.

Neat. I was considering something very similar with locks on both CR's, but nothing "felt" right in concept without a screw to lock it. Good to know it's been done that way.

Neat. I was considering something very similar with locks on both CR's, but nothing "felt" right in concept without a screw to lock it. Good to know it's been done that way.
On the single motor mount adapters, you turn the mount 45-degrees. And they are snug in my model. It would be practically impossible for it to rotate that much in flight for the notches to line up and let the motor mount come out the back.

On the single motor mount adapters, you turn the mount 45-degrees. And they are snug in my model. It would be practically impossible for it to rotate that much in flight for the notches to line up and let the motor mount come out the back.

You can always install a plastic removable rivet directly behind the forward centering ring just incase there is a miss light on a cluster that would torque the mount. It would never pop out from the ejection charge/s.

That motor mount system in definately a DARE Rockets system.
Likely a DARE-101 , although mine has different fin design. As I recall they had fin shap options.

I have the catalog, would have to dig out and get scans / pics.

found photo of ours, disregard the borrowed EZI payload eBay,as the original DARE one was per-electronics.

Flew with 54mm mount , stock, 1/8" ply fins - I 125

Attachments

• IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Dare firestarter.mp4
    7.3 MB
That motor mount system in definately a DARE Rockets system.
Likely a DARE-101 , although mine has different fin design. As I recall they had fin shap options.

I have the catalog, would have to dig out and get scans / pics.

Yea, that is now the name I remember, and I bought mine 3" at Danville Dare they were a sponsor.

This is what you have.I know the fin shape is a little off but that MMT is something I haven’t seen from any other manufacturer. Plus time frame, location, and comments from others. I’m 99% this is your rocket.

Attachments

• IMG_6247.jpeg
    IMG_6247.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
This is what you have.I know the fin shape is a little off but that MMT is something I haven’t seen from any other manufacturer. Plus time frame, location, and comments from others. I’m 99% this is your rocket.
Yes it is! I remember it now. The fins are different, who knows why. Mine also came with a 1/2” launch lug. Look at those prices! Looks like I bought the rocket for $42 and shipping ran only $3.25. What a bargain. Nice to know it flew on a J285. Mine doesn’t sim quite as high as they claim. I’ll have to double/check my OR file and confirm with my altimeter. Although that would have been starting from 5k feet at LDRS, so thinner air.

EDIT: that J285 flight was on the 3” version, not the 4” rocket. Oops.

Last edited:
Yes it is! I remember it now. The fins are different, who knows why. Mine also came with a 1/2” launch lug. Look at those prices! Looks like I bought the rocket for $42 and shipping ran only $3.25. What a bargain. Nice to know it flew on a J285. Mine doesn’t sim quite as high as they claim. I’ll have to double/check my OR file and confirm with my altimeter. Although that would have been starting from 5k feet at LDRS, so thinner air.

EDIT: that J285 flight was on the 3” version, not the 4” rocket. Oops.

That Altitude was on the 3" rocket, the 82mm.

Does your nosecone have "ACE" molded into the plastic at the base?

Hi John, you actually helped me with my black and yellow 82mm Dare rocket with an Early BoosterVision Hi-Power Prototype video transmitter on it at NyPower in 2003 as a Pad Manager.

If you can recall, for some reason I forgot to add Powder to the ejection well of the reload, an H123 38mm. That is when I thought it would be a good idea for RSOs to ask the flyer "How much ejection charge did you use".

It went up, and the guy helping me on my VCR recorder and mini TV screen back at the easy up told me on an FRS radio, This does not look right it's coming down and it went in deep in a safe area into the ground.

I think I sold all my ACE nose cones, but at one time I had horded at least 4. The 82mm rocket used a Balsa nose cone.

Fins don't look right for a PA Crude. I just built a clone of the small 2.6" PA Crude.

Back