NOSE WEIGHT FOR LOC 4” V2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeFilgas

The Mighty Saturn V Apollo XI
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, am finishing up my LOC 4” V2 project and I created a new .ork file in Open Rocket because the .rkt file for same from Apogee Components (.rkt converted to .ork) was not working properly. My new version works as it should finally. Unfortunately OR is calling for 13oz of nose weight for a stability of 1.07. I ran simulations for various successful Aerotech G motors. I’m also running a 38mm to 29mm aluminum motor adapter along with an aluminum retainer all by Aero Tek. All of this is accounted for in Open Rocket. I’m wondering what weight you ended up with on this rocket if you’ve built and flown the same successfully. Thanks so much! Joe 🥰🚀🚀🚀

I can't speak for the 4" LOC V2, but I have built a number of HPR V2's. including the LOC 7.5" V2, and they pretty much always need some NC weight for stability, although there is some utility in looking at the research/data that show your don't need a full caliber of stability with shorter/fat rockets with large fins.

Easiest thing to do is throw some nose weight in there and feel good about the extra margin of stability. For the larger V2, I use a NC fitted with LOC's removeable nose weight system. They make a version for the 4" NC's and, I think, it is nice to have one on hand. Once you make one NC using the RNWS, you can move it from rocket to rocket and change the nose weight, as needed.

Hi all, am finishing up my LOC 4” V2 project and I created a new .ork file in Open Rocket because the .rkt file for same from Apogee Components (.rkt converted to .ork) was not working properly. My new version works as it should finally. Unfortunately OR is calling for 13oz of nose weight for a stability of 1.07. I ran simulations for various successful Aerotech G motors. I’m also running a 38mm to 29mm aluminum motor adapter along with an aluminum retainer all by Aero Tek. All of this is accounted for in Open Rocket. I’m wondering what weight you ended up with on this rocket if you’ve built and flown the same successfully. Thanks so much! Joe 🥰🚀🚀🚀
My Level 1 was a 4” Loc V-2, put 1 pound (16oz) in the nose, always flys perfectly no matter what motor I stick in it

I can't speak for the 4" LOC V2, but I have built a number of HPR V2's. including the LOC 7.5" V2, and they pretty much always need some NC weight for stability, although there is some utility in looking at the research/data that show your don't need a full caliber of stability with shorter/fat rockets with large fins.

Easiest thing to do is throw some nose weight in there and feel good about the extra margin of stability. For the larger V2, I use a NC fitted with LOC's removeable nose weight system. They make a version for the 4" NC's and, I think, it is nice to have one on hand. Once you make one NC using the RNWS, you can move it from rocket to rocket and change the nose weight, as needed.
Thank you I had no idea such a product existed. When/if I ever get certified I could easily make up a second cone with this system.

Back