building LOC Terrier/IRIS as a two stage dual deploy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The LOC kits provide scant building instruction. I have decent building experience with single stage rockets. I have built kits in FG, CF, through wall and surface mount.

I have finished the Terrier. The IRIS is what is causing me to pause.

The plastic interstage coupler-
1- how do I shield it from the motor of sustainer at ignition ( painting it with JB weld)??
2- Do you rely on friction fit for ISC to booster tube?
3- Is Parachute ejection on Booster accomplished with motor eject? if not, where are the electronics? it is the also shear pins?
Air start setup-
2- if I install shear pins, do I need to run two wires from sustainer Ebay to booster (motor and BP charge)? is the ISC pinned to both sustainer and booster?
3- LOC kit places Interstage coupler behind the fins requiring construction partially "out" of the fin slot. it seems wrong...

The plastic interstage coupler-
1- how do I shield it from the motor of sustainer at ignition ( painting it with JB weld)??
Use a separation charge.
2- Do you rely on friction fit for ISC to booster tube?
I always use shear pins on all joints. Some do not...it is just my preference.
3- Is Parachute ejection on Booster accomplished with motor eject? if not, where are the electronics? it is the also shear pins?
I always use an altimeter in the ISC set at apogee, and leave the motor eject set at its longest setting. I use shear pins as mentioned above.
2- if I install shear pins, do I need to run two wires from sustainer Ebay to booster (motor and BP charge)? is the ISC pinned to both sustainer and booster?
a. Sustainer ebay...wires to motor and separation charge.
b. I put an altimeter in the ISC for booster recovery.
c. I pin everything.
3- LOC kit places Interstage coupler behind the fins requiring construction partially "out" of the fin slot. it seems wrong...
Are you referring to shortening the fin tabs and putting the bottom CR 3" or so above the bottom? If so, cut the fins beyond the CR so they are in the fin slot the thickness of the tube. There is nothing wrong with that strategy. It appears there is plenty of fin to motor tube contact.

Last edited:
Back