3 Two Stage Questions: Shear pins, Flyaway rail guide, and Sustainer igniter installation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately I didn’t get the sustainer to light. I tried using the “big un” igniter in the sustainer which was a bad move. The flight went well and the Blue Raven sent the ignition current, but it wasn’t enough to light the igniter. And sadly, my booster got damaged and I couldn’t try again.

The booster charge separated the rocket 0.5 seconds after burnout (K1275) and deployed a streamer. The main fired at 500’ and separated the shear pins, but the main didn’t come out even through the burrito was loose in the airframe. I should have used more charge to ensure it pulled all the way out.

We learned how to epoxy a pyrodex pellet into the top grain and ignite with an eMatch. My son was able to learn from my mistake and he got his sustainer to fire. On his second attempt. He flew a 54md (l1090) to a 38md (j510) and hit 31,407’

I’ll be building a new booster section and I’ll try again. It was really fun flying a two-stage and can’t wait to try again. It was great meeting @JimJarvis50 and @bad_idea at the event, and looking forward to trying Jim’s suggestions at the next launch.

And btw, Airfest was AWESOME. Thanks Kloudbusters!

Oh, so close! I’ve been to the “eMatch fired but didn’t ignite the sustainer pellet party.” Now I always use two igniters (in parallel) in the top of the sustainer.

I’ll be building a new booster section and I’ll try again. It was really fun flying a two-stage and can’t wait to try again. It was great meeting @JimJarvis50 and @bad_idea at the event, and looking forward to trying Jim’s suggestions at the next launch.

And btw, Airfest was AWESOME. Thanks Kloudbusters!
Jason, was good to meet you and your son and chat at dinner Saturday. You came a long, long way to launch; sorry your flight didn't go as planned, but glad you enjoyed Airfest anyway. Hope to catch you there again another year!

Back