• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale 3" Darkstar, 2-stage Sustainer, 54mm motor mt, Aeropack, AV Bay, Altimeter, and more

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyD

Reaction score
Hey everyone! It's been a L-O-N-G time since I've posted anything for sale - hope I'm still on the "Good Sellers" list... :)

Anyway, I've got a Sustainer section for a 2-stage, 3" Wildman Darkstar with a 54mm motor mount and Aeropack retainer that I'm going to sell because I'll just never fly it - it's currently in a never-flown condition too. This Sustainer section was built about 8 years ago in the the Va Beach, VA area. I believe, but can't be sure, that this was a scratch-build addition/option that was constructed during a build of Wildman's 3" Darkstar kit by Joe Z, who used to fly at Fentress, Bayboro, and other high-power fields. If you know Joe Z, you know he could have easily accomplished this complex build with his workshop equipment (CNC machine, lathes, etc), his brilliant mind, and his creativity. If you know his builds, you know his attention to detail, and you know the exceptional quality that went into every rocket he constructed using only the very best of components, adhesives, hardware, and so on (West Systems epoxy, Doghouse Rocketry wiring, Raven/Missleworks/Strattologger altimeters, etc). He worked for NASA, after all, so his job required this sort of precision, and it shows in his builds.

In addition to the Sustainer, I might be persuaded to let the Booster section go too, but the Sustainer is what I'm really trying to sell. I won't sell just the single-stage rocket; it will ONLY be sold along with the Sustainer section if at all.

I have Rocksim files for both configurations, the rocket as a Single Stage (I've flown this rocket ONCE in this configuration at Camden, SC) and as a 2-Stage rocket.

Here are the particulars on both sections:

A) Sustainer without 2nd-Stage (primary) AV Bay, Payload section, or Nosecone:
54mm MM
Exposed length: 45-1/2" without 1st-Stage (booster) AV Bay
Overall length: 52" with 1st-Stage (booster) AV Bay
AV Bay: 11" long, fiberglass with a single sled and Missleworks RRC2 altimeter, stainless couplers and kevlar shock cords
Motor Retention: 54mm Aeropack
Recovery: 3/8" Kevlar shock cord; No included Parachute

B) Single-Stage Rocket:
54mm MM
Length (with Aeropack TAILCONE retainer): 7'-4"
AV Bay: 12" long, fiberglass with a single sled, redundant Altimeters (Missleworks RRC2 and Perfectflite Stratologger CF, Perfectflite Stratologger MiniTimer (for airstart of upper stage)
Motor Retention: 54mm Aeropack with aluminum Tailcone
Recovery: 1/2" Kevlar shock cord, heavy-duty Stainless couplers, 48" Fruity Chutes Main

The Booster section will accept 1010 rail buttons, maybe 1515 (I can't recall). If the rocket is flown as a single-stage, there are rail-button holes in the proper location for them; if flown as a 2-stage, the lower rail-button stays in place toward the aft end of the rocket, but the forward button is moved further forward by about 2 to 2.5ft for stability on the rail.

As a single stage rocket, this bird stands 7'-4" as mentioned above; as a 2-stage rocket, it stands just over 11' tall. I flew the single stage rocket in Camden, SC in 2019 on a CTI I-284W and she flew perfectly to just over 3000' with picture-perfect deployment of the FruityChutes main.

Prices:
$495, and I only put that on here because I was reminded that I have to do so.

I'm really on the fence with this, however, not knowing what this/these might be worth. The parts alone on just the Sustainer push this into several hundred dollars with the altimeter, Aeropack, sled(s), kevlar, and so on. The full rocket even more!

So, here's what I'll do for the moment: If you're interested, send me a PM with an offer and some reason for the number you came up with. If it makes sense to me, we can likely strike a deal. NOTE: shipping will be expensive, and I'll only ship to the lower 48 states. I'm estimating the the Sustainer alone would cost $75 to $100 to ship. The full rocket would probably approach $250, maybe a little more.

For those of you that have purchased from me in the past, you know that I go WAY OVERBOARD packing items for safe transport, so rest assured that if we make a deal, the item(s) will arrive to you in good condition!

Attached are photos of the Sustainer first, then I move into the full build. The last two photos are the full 2-stage rocket assembled and vertical, then the rocket in its 1-stage configuration. Thank you!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 27.JPG
    27.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 2
  • 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hey everyone! It's been a L-O-N-G time since I've posted anything for sale - hope I'm still on the "Good Sellers" list... :)

Anyway, I've got a Sustainer section for a 2-stage, 3" Wildman Darkstar with a 54mm motor mount and Aeropack retainer that I'm going to sell because I'll just never fly it - it's currently in a never-flown condition too. This Sustainer section was built about 8 years ago in the the Va Beach, VA area. I believe, but can't be sure, that this was a scratch-build addition/option that was constructed during a build of Wildman's 3" Darkstar kit by Joe Z, who used to fly at Fentress, Bayboro, and other high-power fields. If you know Joe Z, you know he could have easily accomplished this complex build with his workshop equipment (CNC machine, lathes, etc), his brilliant mind, and his creativity. If you know his builds, you know his attention to detail, and you know the exceptional quality that went into every rocket he constructed using only the very best of components, adhesives, hardware, and so on (West Systems epoxy, Doghouse Rocketry wiring, Raven/Missleworks/Strattologger altimeters, etc). He worked for NASA, so his job required this sort of precision after all...

In addition to the Sustainer, I might be persuaded to let the Booster section go too, but the Sustainer is what I'm really trying to sell. I won't sell just the single-stage rocket; it will ONLY be sold along with the Sustainer section if at all.

I have Rocksim files for both configurations, the rocket as a Single Stage (I've flown this rocket ONCE in this configuration at Camden, SC) and as a 2-Stage rocket.

Here are the particulars on both sections:

A) Sustainer without 2nd-Stage (primary) AV Bay, Payload section, or Nosecone:
54mm MM
Exposed length: 45-1/2" without 1st-Stage (booster) AV Bay
Overall length: 52" with 1st-Stage (booster) AV Bay
AV Bay: 11" long, fiberglass with a single sled and Missleworks RRC2 altimeter, stainless couplers and kevlar shock cords
Motor Retention: 54mm Aeropack
Recovery: 3/8" Kevlar shock cord; No included Parachute

B) Single-Stage Rocket:
54mm MM
Length (with Aeropack TAILCONE retainer): 7'-4"
AV Bay: 12" long, fiberglass with a single sled, redundant Altimeters (Missleworks RRC2 and Perfectflite Stratologger CF, Perfectflite Stratologger MiniTimer (for airstart of upper stage)
Motor Retention: 54mm Aeropack with aluminum Tailcone
Recovery: 1/2" Kevlar shock cord, heavy-duty Stainless couplers, 48" Fruity Chutes Main

The Booster section will accept 1010 rail buttons, maybe 1515 (I can't recall). If the rocket is flown as a single-stage, there are rail-button holes in the proper location for them; if flown as a 2-stage, the lower rail-button stays in place toward the aft end of the rocket, but the forward button is moved further forward by about 2 to 2.5ft for stability on the rail.

As a single stage rocket, this bird stands 7'-4" as mentioned above; as a 2-stage rocket, it stands just over 11' tall. I flew the single stage rocket in Camden, SC in 2019 on a CTI I-284W and she flew perfectly to just over 3000' with picture-perfect deployment of the FruityChutes main.

Prices: I'm really on the fence with this, not knowing what this/these might be worth. The parts alone on just the Sustainer push this into several hundred dollars with the altimeter, Aeropack, sled(s), kevlar, and so on. The full rocket even more!

So, here's what I'll do for the moment: if you're interested, send me a PM with an offer and some reason for the number you came up with. If it makes sense to me, we can likely strike a deal. NOTE: shipping will be expensive, and I'll only ship to the lower 48 states. I'm estimating the the Sustainer alone would cost $75 to $100 to ship. The full rocket would probably approach $250, maybe a little more.

For those of you that have purchased from me in the past, you know that I go WAY OVERBOARD packing items for safe transport, so rest assured that if we make a deal, the item(s) will arrive to you in good condition!

Attached are photos of the Sustainer first, then I move into the full build. The last two photos are the full 2-stage rocket assembled and vertical, then the rocket in its 1-stage configuration. Thank you!
You and I have done business in years past, I'll vouch for you! :headspinning:

Back