5" dia. Crayon Rocket Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a "vintage" Fantazia larger-than-normal crayon bank, 5" diameter, I'd like to be the airframe for my Level 2 attempt. I achieved L1 cert with a completely scratch built rocket quite a few years ago, and I've flown standard crayon rockets on G and H motors. I have John DeMar's plans for a 5" crayon rocket from many years ago. I'm just wondering if others have built something similar and what info/advice you can provide.

I have one. In 90’s I made a bunch of kits.
Don't use the plastic bottom square end, it’s nothing but problems.
Nose needs to be foam filled (always two part, never spray can). Into cone first is a 100ml cup of lead shot, some foam, shake to mix with shot. I take one of the discs cut from centering rings tied to a cord to retain to recovery, the fill with foam.
3 or 4 fins, whatever makes you happy.

IMG_1967.jpegIMG_1965.jpegIMG_1965.jpeg

My Level 2 Flight, Cesaroni J285

Attachments

• FILE028.JPG
    FILE028.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 0
  • crayprts.jpg
    crayprts.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 0
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 0
  • fincan.jpg
    fincan.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
I actually built a 2nd one with a 54mm mount, altimeter in the nose, and rail buttons. I have flown both a number of times. I am partial to Crayons. I did my Level 1 on a 4in crayon and then the Level 2 on the 5in crayon. I have a Number of the Pre Fantaizia, Ralphco Banks in different sizes, I have used for crayon rockets.

Attachments

• IMG_20211222_212307231[1].jpg
    IMG_20211222_212307231[1].jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I did my L1 on a Discount Rocketry/Model Rockets Crayon rocket and just might do my L2 with the same rocket (sort of the same rocket but that’s a long story) after I stretch it with a second bank. Discount Rocketry doesn’t sell the entire rocket any longer, just a fins, rings, motor mount and recovery gear kit to use with your own bank.

Before I did my L1 flight I launched that rocket many, many times on F & G motors, crashed it more than once and it held up great to my learner’s abuse 😉

I also did a 54-motor mount and filled the nose with foam. I used the plastic part but can understand why it is left out. I flew it on a low thrust K - K3 something. I will look it up next weekend and tell you which one. I got about 3L-4K in altitude. In sight the whole way.

Here are my original 5" Crayon Rocket plans from 1997 that David (the OP) was referring to, in case others haven't come across it before. I flew it on many experimental I's and J's using a magnetic apogee detector for deployment . It's final flight was in 2005 for a demo to fellow employees when I worked for NASA. It ended up in a tall tree. After several rainstorms, I recovered it... warped like a boomerang!

Attachments

• crayon5a.pdf
    10.2 KB · Views: 2
Here are my original 5" Crayon Rocket plans from 1997 that David (the OP) was referring to, in case others haven't come across it before. I flew it on many experimental I's and J's using a magnetic apogee detector for deployment . It's final flight was in 2005 for a demo to fellow employees when I worked for NASA. It ended up in a tall tree. After several rainstorms, I recovered it... warped like a boomerang!
Sad story.

Back