KN Aeronautics AIM-9L Sidewinder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhill9693

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Back in 2022, I found this short kit for a very realistic high-power scale model of the AIM-9L Sidewinder air-to-air missile on eBay.

It's been sitting around in a box waiting for me to build it. Finishing 3D-printed parts still intimidate me.

A few of you on here have this same short kit, which was just the nose unit pieces and fin can. You have to supply your own 29mm engine mount, retainer, airframe tube, recovery system and launch lugs or rail buttons. Mine didn't come with instructions. Some balancing instructions were in the eBay listing, which is no longer accessible as of this writing. Others have posted that this requires a 22" tube. Mine is less than 21", and therefore may require more nose weight than yours.

The Chinese Spy Balloon incident renewed my interested in building this. The newer AIM-9X Sidewinder is actually the missile that was used, according to reports.

In anticipation of tomorrow's launch, I finally bit the bullet and built an OpenRocket file. Looks like I will be adding 100g of weight, and with that it should fly stable on everything from an F50-6 to an H165-12.

My assembled, unfinished AIM-9L:

IMG_4723.JPG

Here's the OpenRocket sim:

Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 8.49.47 AM.png
Color reference, photo from the National Archives (if you have more or better color references, and any scale data for comparison, please share them):

Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 8.56.50 AM.png

Attachments

• KN Aeronautics AIM-9L Sidewinder.ork
    3.9 KB · Views: 3
More images . . .
AIM-9 drawings usually show a forward umbilical as part of the missile. I suspect that the missile is rail launched with the umbilical and pyro separated later in flight. Can anyone provide info on the separation sequence and related details?
AIM-9L_Full_Scale_Master_2023-Jan-29_10-01-01PM-000_CustomizedView22753209674.pngAIM-9L_Full_Scale_Master_2023-Jan-29_07-53-47PM-000_CustomizedView2026816039.pngAIM-9L_Full_Scale_Master_2023-Feb-24_08-41-03PM-000_CustomizedView1857960228.pngAIM-9L_Full_Scale_Master_2023-Jan-29_03-24-01AM-000_CustomizedView5145633408.png

IMG_4805.jpegIf anyone had doubts, it does fly! I ended up going with 110g of weight. That will balance an H motor but sadly a 29/240 case will not physically fit due to the sub-minimum forward opening in the fin can.

Today’s flight at ROSCO to 775ft was powered by an OOP Estes F26-6. Photos courtesy of Wes Munn.

IMG_4807.jpeg
IMG_4806.jpeg
IMG_4804.jpeg

If anyone had doubts, it does fly! I ended up going with 110g of weight. That will balance an H motor but sadly a 29/240 case will not physically fit due to the sub-minimum forward opening in the fin can.
You might be able to "ream out" the forward end of the Fin Can, from the aft end, by using a small "Flap Wheel" on an extension, with an electric drill ( or a Dremel ).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=%22flap+wheel%22&_sacat=0

The "Hex Shaft" style might be easier to find or make an extension for.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=%22flap+wheel%22+%22hex%22&_sacat=0

Google search :

https://www.google.com/search?q=flap+wheel+for+drill+%22extension%22&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjdyrDUlrv_AhXaOFkFHca9CoIQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=flap+wheel+for+drill+%22extension%22&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzoFCAAQgAQ6BggAEAUQHjoECAAQHlCUEFiBXGDCXWgBcAB4AIABmAKIAdYYkgEEMi0xM5gBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=gLiFZN2KNNrx5NoPxvuqkAg&bih=927&biw=1920

Dave F.

That’s an interesting idea! I wonder how it will stand up structurally without the inner face. Getting to it won’t be a problem because I’m going to have to replace the airframe with another tube and rethink my shock cord mount and rail button mounts to eliminate obstructions.

KN has made a newer version that fits a 29mm motor mount all the way through, to allow a stronger (not 3D-printed) connection between the fin can and the airframe.

Looks like it was a great flight!

Back in 2022, I found this short kit for a very realistic high-power scale model of the AIM-9L Sidewinder air-to-air missile on eBay.

It's been sitting around in a box waiting for me to build it. Finishing 3D-printed parts still intimidate me.

A few of you on here have this same short kit, which was just the nose unit pieces and fin can. You have to supply your own 29mm engine mount, retainer, airframe tube, recovery system and launch lugs or rail buttons. Mine didn't come with instructions. Some balancing instructions were in the eBay listing, which is no longer accessible as of this writing. Others have posted that this requires a 22" tube. Mine is less than 21", and therefore may require more nose weight than yours.

The Chinese Spy Balloon incident renewed my interested in building this. The newer AIM-9X Sidewinder is actually the missile that was used, according to reports.

In anticipation of tomorrow's launch, I finally bit the bullet and built an OpenRocket file. Looks like I will be adding 100g of weight, and with that it should fly stable on everything from an F50-6 to an H165-12.

My assembled, unfinished AIM-9L:

View attachment 585171

Here's the OpenRocket sim:

View attachment 585172
Color reference, photo from the National Archives (if you have more or better color references, and any scale data for comparison, please share them):

View attachment 585174
Very nice! I would have loved to snag one of those!

So, based on your response. are you saying the umbilical is carried all the way to the target?
No, I was just showing the "arrangement" of the umbilical . . . I think that it would be jettisined, at some point, but I have no documentation of that.

That’s an interesting idea! I wonder how it will stand up structurally without the inner face. Getting to it won’t be a problem because I’m going to have to replace the airframe with another tube and rethink my shock cord mount and rail button mounts to eliminate obstructions.
Dependnig of the design of the structure, you might be able to add a plywood disk for additional support.

The umbilical stays with the launch aircraft I think. There is a locking collar on the aircraft end of the umbilical. Great looking rocket. I want one too. Really good pictures.

Back