It's Official Southern Thunder 2008

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All great shots.

I think somebody told me that the lone photographer on the range was associtated with Rockets magazine. I will be curious to see those pics as well.

The photographer was Mark Canepa of Extreme Rocketry...look for the article in the fall.

Johnnie

Thanks to HARA & MC2 for a great event. Congrats again on the L3 Johnnie.

Greg

Great pics Greg, thanks for sharing them...you have a PM...and thanks for the kudos (Level III)

Johnnie

I have some ST2008 pics at https://sears572.com/gallery/ST2008.

Thanks to HARA & MC2 for a great event. Congrats again on the L3 Johnnie.

Greg
It was a great event, the Tennessee folks did another fine job. Just one correction though, the picture 24 of 54 (Black and White rocket) is called Cawcajun and was flown by Andrew and Crystal Grippo from Louisiana.

It flew on a Loki M2550 Blue motor to 13,000'.

Andrew

Here are the last of the teaser shots my friend sent me.

Gizmo drag race
DSC_30097_s.jpg

Nike Hercules
DSC_30099_s.jpg

Our Firehawk on an I211 racing to 2568ft.
DSC_30343_s.jpg

I have to sort through mine, but here is one I took. I believe it's an L1400 skid.
DSCN2057.jpg

I finally got all of my videos edited and converted. I ended up getting 49 flights. Now for the lengthy process of uploading them to Youtube...

...Look at this rocket...a serious piece of 'eye candy'

IMG_1695.jpg

WOW! that is the coolest thing I've ever seen!
Truly wicked!
Anyone know who made it and anything else about the rocket?

The builder said that Giant Leap is going to make this rocket available as a kit some time in the future.

WOW! that is the coolest thing I've ever seen!
Truly wicked!
Anyone know who made it and anything else about the rocket?

That is the "XST Triangle Rocket" built by Scott Taylor of Tripoli Louisiana. It looks as good as it flys!!! :D

Rumor has it that it will be offered as a kit soon by Giant Leap.
:cool:

Awesome! - better get my deposit in right away eh?
Any idea what it weights, what motor mount and particular motor it flew on to how high?
Single or dual deploy, where's the altimeter bay if dual-capable?
sorry for all the Q's, but i gotta get me one of these... :)

Here's my low definition video of Johnnie Paul's successful L3 flight.

Johnnie Paul's L3 Flight

I muted the sound on part of the video because someone next to me was running a dremel during the flight.

Awesome! - better get my deposit in right away eh?
Any idea what it weights, what motor mount and particular motor it flew on to how high?
Single or dual deploy, where's the altimeter bay if dual-capable?
sorry for all the Q's, but i gotta get me one of these... :)

Near the bottom of the list of my videos above, there is one that says "XST Triangle J365SK". That is this rocket. Check it out, it flies very nicely!

Here's my low definition video of Johnnie Paul's successful L3 flight.

Johnnie Paul's L3 Flight

I muted the sound on part of the video because someone next to me was running a dremel during the flight.

Rich that was a kick butt video!! I have copied the link onto my build thread...thank you!

Johnnie

My friend, Mathias Boland, said he took 330 pics during the weekend. He has posted a lot already on his website. Whether he'll post more or not I don't know yet because he said some weren't worth posting. So anyway enjoy these for now https://homepage.mac.com/mjboland/PhotoAlbum3.html

I'll have to help him out with the captions sometime soon.

Here's my dad's Blue Maxx onboard video from ST after I edited it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIvNkLioKws

This was my first flight with on-board video and I learned alot. The boost and drogue separation was nominal, but during main deployment, the ejection charge fogged the lens. I already have a plan to prevent this next flight.

I had a Garmin Rino GPS on-board, so I was able to 'talk' to Blue Maxx at all times, from count-down to touchdown in real-time. It was fun.

The characters in the video are myself, Kyle and Mark Canepa.

Thanks to Kyle for the edit.

posted too soon, you answered my question, I thought you had an fm radio onboard catching the lco on the PA's fm transmitter

If anyone Got a picture of my Big Purple Crayon Finally Taking off please let me know. I also Missed my L2 a D Region Tomahawk with blue n gold fins.

Cj

This was my first flight with on-board video and I learned alot. The boost and drogue separation was nominal, but during main deployment, the ejection charge fogged the lens. I already have a plan to prevent this next flight.

I had a Garmin Rino GPS on-board, so I was able to 'talk' to Blue Maxx at all times, from count-down to touchdown in real-time. It was fun.

The characters in the video are myself, Kyle and Mark Canepa.

Thanks to Kyle for the edit.

What was the altitude on that flight?
I'm dizzy now :rotflol:
Cool flight! What kind of camera was that.:D
:cool:

I have some shots left that I thought I would post...mainly of the different fliers 'sites'

After all, it is about us, and you...

Like this guy...Smallest car with the most densely packed rocket group ever!

IMG_1738.jpg

How about this vehicle...the least packed of any vehicle in it's size...

IMG_1736.jpg

Some of the fliers liked to just 'chill-out' from time to time...

IMG_1689.jpg

Sometimes it was a team effort to make a project work...

IMG_1578.jpg

Some of the rockets had paint jobs that you could see into for days...weeks even!

IMG_1701.jpg

Everyone was proud of their displays...and should be!

IMG_1700.jpg

There was so much to see at Southern Thunder, and so many people to say "hi" to, that the weekend seemed to last for three days...oh wait...

IMG_1699.jpg

Some people even brought their pets...take this pure bred Bull Pup for instance...house trained and all!

IMG_1739.jpg

Back