It's Official Southern Thunder 2008

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets not forget our venders...the most popular tents of all...

Here Nocturnal Knight Rocketry looks like they got picked clean...

IMG_1737.jpg

The 'rocket candy' stores were loaded all weekend...

IMG_1677.jpg

I have some shots left that I thought I would post...mainly of the different fliers 'sites'

After all, it is about us, and you...

Like this guy...Smallest car with the most densely packed rocket group ever!

IMG_1738.jpg

This is PowerMax's car. We ended up next to each other both days. Really nice guy. Along with his son, they make a really great team!

Southern Thunder was magical, just ask Merlin...

IMG_1679.jpg

Alright, who brought the wind chimes?

IMG_1683.jpg

Al's Hobby Shop has spent a lot of time in Alabama over the years...we were lucky to have him...

IMG_1675.jpg

The local favorite was camped with us all weekend...Thank you!

IMG_1561.jpg

Whats a launch without the much need menu staple: Burgers, dogs, chips & coke...grilled and chilled!

IMG_1705.jpg

This was a pic from Friday...Southern Thunder was not for another 24-hours!!! Wow! What a show of die-hard support...

IMG_1645.jpg

Our smallest visitor on the flightline is actually a local resident...this home was only the size of a quarter, but shined like a bank vault full of diamonds early Sunday morning...

IMG_1770.jpg

We'll be back!!!

IMG_1607.jpg

What was the altitude on that flight?
I'm dizzy now :rotflol:
Cool flight! What kind of camera was that.:D
:cool:

Thanks- Altitude was 4384' and the camera an Aiptek DV-4500. I used a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II card that will hold 8hrs of High-Res video from this camera. :D

Hey guys...

Can you help me with three things?

There was a ring fin flight on Friday on a K695R that I can't seem to find any pictures of. It ended badly with a recovery harness failure but the flight was good. The rocket was white and brown and recovered under a long rainbow colored streamer drogue and then a gray main. I'm looking for picts or video of this flight. It was flown late in the day.

There was a 5.5 inch rocket misannounced as something else that flew on Sunday afternoon. That was my NANS (Not another nike smoke) so named because it was made from a polecat Nike tube. It had a blue nose an unpainted body tube (white with brownish hue from body filler) and unpainted plywood fins (clipped deltas). That rocket flew on a J540R and recovered under a large gray 'chute (single deployment). The rocket got caught in a thermal and nearly floated away at one point - talk about hang time! I'm looking for video or pics of this one.

Lastly I flew a Quasar on an H238 on Saturday. The rocket was given to me and had an older style PML quick switch that bayonets in. There were no positive stops on the bayonet - and I may have under or over turned it and the motor and adapter kicked out at apogee. Luckily the piston still deployed the 'chute so the rocket came back in great shape - but the motor was lost. I'm looking for the adapter and motor or any clue where they might be. I think it's a lost cause because I'm pretty sure the rocket went over the heads of those along the flight line and ended up over the woods behind the gravel road just before apogee. I hadn't intended the flight to go that far but it weather cocked much more than expected for such a high thrust to weight ratio flight. If you have video of the flight or if you have any idea where the motor fell let me know. I'm hoping someone eventually finds it. The problem is that the quick switch is only painted on the ends which are small. The main body of the adapter is phenolic brown... .

Kick-fanny videos Kyle, and excellent choice of 'mood' music!

Johnnie

Extreme Rocketry Issue #74

As anyone that was there knows, Mark Canepa attended Southern Thunder '08 and chronicled the launch for Extreme Rocketry magazine. In little more than 1 month the issue is being mailed to subscribers. That's quick!!

As a teaser, here's a link to the cover page:

https://www.extremerocketry.com/

Look for it soon in your mailbox, or order your own copy online. If you were there you don't want to miss this issue. Mine arrived yesterday. :D

Does anyone have the final breakdown of the motors used? I tried searching a few times and can't seem to locate it.

Does anyone have the final breakdown of the motors used? I tried searching a few times and can't seem to locate it.

This is a very close count of the motors burned Saturday and Sunday at
ST2008 as compiled by HARA & PMW member Ray Cole:

A - 14
B - 11
C - 60
D - 32
E - 40
F - 21
G - 59
H - 51
I - 58
J - 29
K - 21
L - 5
M - 13
N - 2
Total = 416

Thanks! Between you and Johnnie on RP I got the answer far quicker than expected.

A - 14
B - 11
C - 60
D - 32
E - 40
F - 21
G - 59
H - 51
I - 58
J - 29
K - 21
L - 5
M - 13
N - 2
Total = 416

The total impulse is of all the motors burned is equivalent to an R motor. Impressive! :)

-- Roger

Good news for everyone that drooled over the King Kraken prototype at our booth at this ST08, she is heeerrrrrrrrrrre.

Yep, that's right, the King Kraken is now available!!
Build your own instead of salivating over somebody else's.
:D

Check out the release information:
King Kraken on the rampage

Back