Is Winter Coming?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was born in 1970 and all they ever told us growing up is that by 2000 we would all be starving while looking at miles thick ice sheets as far south as Tennessee.

Yesterday where I'm at (similar latitude to Tennessee, but east) was 103 heat index.......no ice sheets to be found.

ETA, my cub scout magnetic compass from 1977 hasn't needed recalibration yet, either.

I was told the last day of the Mayan calendar ended in 2012, so, the world was supposed to end 11 years ago.
What are you worried about? Technically we're all already dead.

I'm starting to wonder. We have had record-challenging heat and record-challenging drought this month, will it ever cool off? I was thinking that in about 6 weeks I could be going on a Jeep trip to the Utah desert, and typically it is cold there at night. It is hard to relate to considering that here we are still in the 80s at night.

Meanwhile, here in Western PA, we've hardly needed our air conditioner this summer. Pretty humid and lots of rain, but not very hot overall... But we did have a 22 day stretch in May-June with lots of sun and not a drop of rain. The grass all turned brown, but it's fully recovered now.

I think a lot of places depend on hype, and what if, to bring dollars in the door. I believe quite a bit of what we are shown on the news and the internet is so far away from reality that it is almost laughable.
Now the giant sun spot seen from Mars that will be pointing towards Earth next week does have a very slight chance of a just right super lucky X class flare and CME that really could cause a problem. Tiny probability, but not zero.
Just have to see what happens.

Interesting solar weather this cycle.

"Winter is Coming" wrote George RR Martin, well after I started thinking about ice ages - and that the collapse of the AMOC (Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation) might well precipitate one.
I'm not a scientist, but here's what NOAA says about the slowing down of the AMOC:
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/amoc.html
Key points:
They believe the slowdown of the AMOC is from global warming, not cooling.
The slowdown could shift rainfall patterns and expose millions to drought (not ice age) conditions.
The AMOC is one part of the Global Thermohaline Circulation system (THC).

So the slowing of the AMOC and the global cooling/ice age conjecture seem to be unrelated.
But YES!
Winter is coming!
Then Spring,
Then Summer,
Then Fa...........
Never mind.

The venerable Scientific American publishes on the topic of AMOC. If the suspicions expressed are well founded, then (IMHO) we may be seeing some chilling effect on Northern European countries such as the UK in the next few years.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-a-mega-ocean-current-about-to-shut-down/

Side note: My father was a geologist, some of my closest friends have been geologists, and I have studied geology and oceanography in college. One of the long-term controversies in these subjects has been the question of Uniformitarianism (slow change) versus Catastrophism (sudden or rapid change). The geologic record has examples of both.

The article itself states that the finding that the AMOC is in danger of imminent collapse is controversial.
The venerable IPCC has assessed that the danger of imminent collapse of the AMOC in this century is low, using studies of the paleogeologic records.
The study referenced in the article is coming under fire from scientists in all quarters.
So I wouldn't go out and buy new snow gear just yet.

Aren't there scientists of all political persuasions?
And if facts have little to do with it, then how do studies pass peer review?
I think it has a lot to do with does said study agree with the existing dogma/paradigm or not. I think there is a lot of financial and political pressure to produce study results that those who provide the funding agree with. Go against the paradigm, get marginalized or hounded into retirement. There's a lot of group-think even in science.

I think it has a lot to do with does said study agree with the existing dogma/paradigm or not. I think there is a lot of financial and political pressure to produce study results that those who provide the funding agree with. Go against the paradigm, get marginalized or hounded into retirement. There's a lot of group-think even in science.
That's my problem. I want very much to believe that science has not been corrupted in this way. Politics I have not even a whisper of hope that way, however. Unfortunately, I feel like there is no commitment to the truth whatsoever from most national outlets and politicians- they twist torturously to suit their side. Sad, sad situation.

I'm not a scientist, so I can't comment on that.
Any scientists out there?
Are studies subject to bias, fraud and influence?
Or is there integrity within the scientific community?

I'm not a scientist, so I can't comment on that.
Any scientists out there?
Are studies subject to bias, fraud and influence?
Or is there integrity within the scientific community?
Neither am I, although I have a daughter who's profession is real scientific research. In watching her struggle through the organizational politics of post-doc positions, and having spoken with her somewhat on this topic my view is that: There is LIMITED bias, fraud, and influence in the scientific community. STILL almost all working scientists are dedicated to expanding our knowledge and see humanity advance. (stepping up on my soapbox) They also can be discouraged/depressed by so many not understanding why they do what they do, and that by holding true to science and its the self-correcting aspects we will continually improve our understanding of OUR universe. I know one of the most discouraging recent events was the Trump administration wherein they attempted to simply smother/desstroy that with which they didn't agree/understand. When young I was naively hopeful that by the 21st century the USA would be predominately a society guided by fact/knowledge. In my 70s I'm no long hopeful for this in my lifetime. I only hope for the sake of my kids/grandkids, that I'm wrong. (stepping down). So sorry for the rant.

When young I was naively hopeful that by the 21st century the USA would be predominately a society guided by fact/knowledge. In my 70s I'm no long hopeful for this in my lifetime. I only hope for the sake of my kids/grandkids, that I'm wrong. (stepping down).
Unfortunately, it seems that Americans are getting stupider, and I blame Kim Kardashian. Reality shows such as MTV's "cribs" fostered in our younger generations the appearance of wealth, by having 6 Escalades and a video game room, and doing nothing for that wealth except being youtube skateboarder of the month. And while few get to achieve that, many aspire to it, and it seems that America is on a road to nowhere. Too many people staring into their phones and too few using their brains for anything useful. Brawndo, it's what plants crave!

Probably the same thing smart people thought after learning of Plato's teachings 2300 years ago.

Humans aren't evolving, we are what we are.
We're devolving and TikTok has us in the expess lane to extinction. When I was a kid, I played baseball, flew control line model airplanes, and, of course, launched model rockets. Kids these days are addicted to their phones.

Back