Interceptor E boost glide build"TIMBERWOLF"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am going to use the booster I made for Direwolf on Timberwolf. Had some concerns with the original and frankly was'nt fond of it . The new booster is longer and carries it's own nose weight also the previous booster would not handle D-E motors. Only changing the mount and the rear retention clips was needed. Booster mounts about 3 inches further forward on Timberwolf

100_1612.jpg

100_1613.jpg

Am going to use the booster I made for Direwolf on Timberwolf. Had some concerns with the original and frankly was'nt fond of it . The new booster is longer and carries it's own nose weight also the previous booster would not handle D-E motors. Only changing the mount and the rear retention clips was needed. Booster mounts about 3 inches further forward on Timberwolf

Man that looks awesome bud :cool:
Cheers
fred

Nothing yet--Hard to coordinate work vs weather vs that burn ban we had. At this rate I'll have a whole new fleet by launch day:y:Now that the holidays are almost passed my work schedule should lighten up a bit. Trust me --No one wants to get this up more than me:mad:

I await the flight of this amazing beauty.

I am in awe of your astounding confidence - I would never detail a rocket like this until I had some flight trim into it, but I am not anywhere living within the "Hornetdriver Universe" of amazing design/building skills. This stuff looks like it's just "old hat" to you.

If I built something that looked like that, I'd probably just hang it on the wall and have nightmares about my first flight, then sell it on Ebay for a shite-ton of money..

It's not confidence--I'm friggin CRAZY. But honestly , the burn ban and building the Direwolf/Tigerwolf may have been a good thing. Replacing the original booster with the Direwolf booster solved some -potential- stability problems , so I'm happy about that ! All that said I really enjoy the build part of the hobby. If I had to call it, I'd say Timberwolf will probably go up a couple times and be retired to the dispay shelf-Direwolf will go up several times with different engine combinations and the newest one will most likeky get the most flight time along with Boxster. I am taking some vacation time soon so I know something will go up:D:D:D

Here are the wing and stabilizers I picked up for $5! It's hard to tell but the one piece wing has a nice shape and a dihedral in it. The single stabilizers each have winglets. I would b very curious what George gassaway would do with these? I may just put this on back burner till I do more research. Any other comments?:eyepop:

wings 001.jpg

wings 002.jpg

wings 003.jpg

What ever became of the timberwolf? Still waiting for a launch?

I finally got to fly her 2 weeks ago. I posted the results on another thread somewhere as part of a conversation.The pilot did'nt read his checklist and forgot his camera so I was waiting for another shot in a week or so and post it on the TW thread. Anyway, Timberwolf flew great and as expected had a very fast glide and high initial sink rate. Launch was with a single E-9-4 and was straight with little spin. Altitude was only about 250 ft-she's heavy--Glide was straight with no sign of wing walking or yaw problems. No turn was designed in so -I had a bit of a walk. No damage. Launch was vertical with no inclination. I was going to launch with 20-30 deg inclination but was worried about it rolling on the way up and deploying inverted. I had a 50/50 chance and did'nt want to try just yet. I'll be launching next time with the booster attached so should get a bit more altitude and may try with the rod inclided a bit. Also launched the Boxster the same day and flew it twice. Both flights were on E-9's also. flights were very straight and the glides were gentle and relativly slow. I am however going to add some trim tabs before it's next flight for a tick more pitch authority--she's a bit overstable. By the way---the camera is already in the field box w/ exra batteries

Plan on launching TW again this weekend . I made a small structural change since the first flight. I found a crack along the base of one of the vertical stabs where it meets the bt. I decided to cut them both off and replace the with stabs that had a thicker base since they are surface mounted. The new stabs are also a bit deeper and have a little more surface areaDSCF0033.JPGDSCF0035.JPG I don't know what caused it , for all I know it could have happened in transport, but why chance it. I also ran into a problem while preflighting today. I went to install a motor and it was really tight, as if it had swollen. Is it safe to --LIGHTLY-- sand the casing on them . I tried to test fit the motor in a new mount I had laying around and it had the same problem. If I can find an e-12 locally this will be a non issue---advise?? Planning on strapping on the booster next flight too--most likely with a d

Forget my previous question about the motor casing. Hobby Town has the 12's in ---all sizes from 0 on up---hurray for the home team !!!

Back