My L3 build - Performance Rocketry Competitor 6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben & Scoop - Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Drawing it is the easy part! Now, to actually make it look just like that! Hehe

N3TJM - You must have been looking at the original schematic that I posted months ago. I started another thread specifically on the subject of altimeter switches. Some 66 responses later, I decided to keep it simple and eliminate the shunt switches. If I hadn't, the backup timer would have brought the total to 8 switches!! So in the end, I used one for each alt, and one for a backup timer. Total of 3.

Thanks for the input though. I appreciate the constructive criticism.

Cris

PS I just updated the schematic on the first page of this thread. It now reflects the 3-switch design, with the addition of the backup timer.

Sorry about that, I think I was looking at the old schematic.

No prob, at least it reinforces the advice I got from everyone else!

Hey, that paint scheme looks pretty good atop my Envoy!...

competitor6onenvoy.jpg

Lol. Do a slow pass by your local police station and see what happens.:rotflol:

But seriously now, your paint scheme looks really nice. I never really noticed until now, but that dark olive drab goes nicely with the red-orange. I can't really tell if it's red or orange since it looks more orangish in the CAD drawing but it looks red on top of the Envoy.

d00d that thing is beautiful. I love the colors. :congrats:

Does "UP" matter?
I see you clearly marked "UP" on the sled -- yet the altimeters are opposite orientation. Not sure what they are and if they need to be pointing up, but it looks like a problem.

Doesn't it matter for the backup timer he is using?

Edit: Sorry I didn't see that question had already been answered.

Ok, on to the nose!

After weighing each and every component, I input all of the measurements into Rocksim to come up with a very accurate representation of the nearly completed rocket.

According to Rocksim, 2lbs (32oz) of noseweight will allow me to use any 98mm motor available, and still have a stable CP to CG ratio. For the additional weight, I decided to use 16oz. of lead shot, held in place with 16oz. of epoxy.

First, I measured out the lead shot and epoxy resin using my fiance's digital kitchen scale!

120measuringleadshot.jpg

121measuringresin.jpg

122measuringhardener.jpg

Next, I attached a large carriage washer to a piece of 5/16" all-thread. This end of the all-thread will get imbedded in the lead shot / epoxy resin mixture to anchor it securely into the tip of the nosecone:

124threadedrodwithwasher.jpg

I poured about half of the lead shot into the tip, followed by about half of the epoxy mixture...

123leadshotintipfnosecone.jpg

Then the threaded rod went in...

124threadedrodinnosecone.jpg

I followed this up by adding the rest of the lead shot and epoxy on top of the washer. The inside of the nosecone is extremely rough, with many hardened pieces of fiberglass strand poking about. This will offer an excellent surface to which the epoxy can bond.

Next, I mounted a stainless steel u-bolt to the G10 nosecone bulkplate. A hole was drilled through the u-bolt's stainless steel backplate as well as the G10 bulkplate, to accomodate the threaded rod:

125bulkhead.jpg

With the bulkplate set in pace, I brushed a layer of epoxy onto the inside edge of the nose cone's shoulder:

126bulkheadinplace.jpg

Last, I pressed one of my homemade retainer rings into place to further secure the bulkplate. A small wood shim was inserted to help apply pressure against the inside of the nosecone shoulder:

127completednosecone.jpg

This marks the end of the construction phase...Woohoo!!! It was fun, and a great challenge, but living in an upstairs condo I am sure glad its over =)

Now I just have to drill a couple of pressure equalization vents, and a few holes for shear pins, and its on to painting =)

My parachutes just arrived!! After much agonizing on what brand to use, I finally decided to go with Spherachutes for my L3's main, pilot, and drogue 'chutes. Originally I was going to purchase another brand, but I was having such a difficult time getting my calls and e-mails returned, that I ended up deciding to give Spherachutes a try.

I have to tell you... I am soooo glad I did!! Julie from Spherachutes is one of the nicest people I have even done business with. I had some pretty particular requests, and even though she did not have enough material in stock to make my parachutes, she special ordered the material for me, made the 3 parachutes, and had them ready to ship in only 7 days!!

As far as the parachutes themselves, I will say they pack very small and the craftsmanship is superb! I don't forsee using anything else in the future.

We are still seeing some very breezy days as a result of the recent hurricanes, so when I opened my mailbox to find the Spherachutes package had arrived, I immediately ripped open the box and took the big daddy out for a fly!!...

mainspherachutes168-2sm.jpg

mainspherachutes168-3sm.jpg

Man that thing is awesome! What size did you get? After seeing the orange and white I think I am going to get 3 of those in that color to bring in my Saturn V's nosecone, just to jazz it up :)

Ben

Ive been reading your thread for a while now and everything looks awesome. I cant wait to see it all painted up. Ive been taking notes the whole time, lol.

" After much agonizing on what brand to use, I finally decided to go with Spherachutes ... As far as the parachutes themselves, I will say they pack very small and the craftsmanship is superb! I don't forsee using anything else in the future. "

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love Spherachutes.

I called them a couple of weeks before a Maryland launch with a custom order and they had it in my hands before I packed up and left for the launch.

Fantastic chute that has served me well for five years.

Simply outstanding quality and service to match.

The rocket looks very, very nice. Just curious, what size Spherachute is that? Looks fantastic.

That's a great chute. I'll have to give Spherachutes a try.

Ben & Rocketkyle, its a 168" Spherachute. Of course, the way they measure is over the top (1/2 the circumference). So its diameter is about 107". Thats funny you (Ben) said that about the Saturn V... The reason I picked these colors is because I always loved the way the Apollo capsule looked splashing down with its 3 orange and white striped parachutes!

NxJ, thanks =) But don't do anything with those notes until we see how this baby flies!! Keeping my fingers crossed

Max & JJ - agreed... I love the chute so far, and Julie was awesome to deal with.

Update - I did the test out of the back of my truck today. My nephew drove, got it up to 30mph in an open field (approx/ 50'/sec) and I tossed the pilot chute out the back. Pilot danced around for a little bit, as it was caught in a vortex at the back of my truck. But once it snapped open, it pulled the main out of my d-bag just as planned. The shroud lines extended, and once the main snapped open it felt like I was holding a rope tied to a tree! That sucker yanked out of my hands HARD!!

All worked well though, and I feel good about using a d-bag for the first time.

Well, I use a 16foot military chute now so I think 3 7 footers would work good.

Ben

Ben & Rocketkyle, its a 168" Spherachute. Of course, the way they measure is over the top (1/2 the circumference). So its diameter is about 107". Thats funny you (Ben) said that about the Saturn V... The reason I picked these colors is because I always loved the way the Apollo capsule looked splashing down with its 3 orange and white striped parachutes!

NxJ, thanks =) But don't do anything with those notes until we see how this baby flies!! Keeping my fingers crossed

Max & JJ - agreed... I love the chute so far, and Julie was awesome to deal with.

Update - I did the test out of the back of my truck today. My nephew drove, got it up to 30mph in an open field (approx/ 50'/sec) and I tossed the pilot chute out the back. Pilot danced around for a little bit, as it was caught in a vortex at the back of my truck. But once it snapped open, it pulled the main out of my d-bag just as planned. The shroud lines extended, and once the main snapped open it felt like I was holding a rope tied to a tree! That sucker yanked out of my hands HARD!!

All worked well though, and I feel good about using a d-bag for the first time.

It finally looks like a rocket!

Within the limited confines of our third bedroom/home office/rocketry assembly area, I have only been able to work on my Competitor 6 in sections. I have not had the opportunity to assemble the entire rocket...

Until now! My nephew and I brought the booster, avionics bay, payload sections, and nosecone outside today for a dry-fit. We did this early in the day, to avoid our neighborhood "condo commandos"! They mean well, and a couple are friends of ours, but better to just avoid unwanted attention I think =)

Here she is, standing 11' tall in front of the stairwell to our condominium...

L3&

130dryfit.jpg

Annnndddd... 4 photos later, we quickly dissasembled it and brought the pieces back inside!

Next up... ground testing of the recovery system.

Cris

It finally looks like a rocket!

Next up... ground testing of the recovery system.

THAT should get the attention of your 'condo commandos'!:lol:

Looks awesome! One of these days I will have saved up enough pennies to get me one! ;)

In front of your house, that looks so much bigger than I thought it would be. Great job! Can't wait to see it with paint on it.:)

It has a 98mm motor mount, and I just ordered a 98-11000 motor set and external thrust ring from AMWProX.

The reload I am going to use for my cert flight is the M1730 Skidmark. It is the lowest total impulse available for that case.

That motor/reload combination should take it to just about 10,000'

Then, in the same motor case, I can also use N2020, N2600, and N2700 for future flights.

Cris

Cris, What an impresive build. I love this thread. What type of round switches are you using? Where can I find them for sale. I like how they mount and would love to use them on a future build. Breck

Kyle,

I checked out your build, looks great! Did you modify those fins yourself, or were they ordered that way? I like 'em. That motor is a beast! I can't wait for mine to arrive =)

Breck,

I get these switches from Missileworks. You can find them here. They are $4 each, and have worked good for me so far. Thanks for the kind words!

Cris

I bought the kit second hand and the fins were already cut and rebeveled. I love the look. I'll probably be going with Spherachutes now that you posted that picture. That's seriously a work of art.

I bought the kit second hand and the fins were already cut and rebeveled. I love the look. I'll probably be going with Spherachutes now that you posted that picture. That's seriously a work of art.

Go with Fruity Chutes. Best parachutes on the market.

EDIT: Nice build Cris and good luck with your cert flight

Im shooting for the October 25th launch at Tripoli West Palm. Will depend on the weather mostly. Considering the re-load is $615, I want to make sure I can actually see it all the way up, and back down again, and get some good video too!

Do you normally make it to the TWP/FSA launches?

Cris

Back