I Miss The Deep Space Fantasy Rockets...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by rokitflite
I don't know why I thought that a model with 50+ parts would be easy to kit!!!

LOL

"hey Martha, we got us 'nother one..."

Looks easy till you try it, doesn't it?? Although I will admit that 50 parts is one *heck* of a large set of parts for a kit :)

Good luck! We're all waiting to see it.
jim

You ARE the man for all of the designing, kitting and packaging you do!!! Hey, how is that ring-fin rocket coming that you posted pictures of a couple of months ago?

Do you mean the "hoop" rocket or the Corona (ring finned) rocket?

The hoop rocket is out a ways as we're up to our necks in alligators here with other projects. The biggest chore will be to find a source for those hoops...

As for the Corona, an announcement is coming out soon so keep watch :)

jim

Looks easy till you try it, doesn't it?? Although I will admit that 50 parts is one *heck* of a large set of parts for a kit

Well, how about having six kits all boxed, wrapped, labeled and in the truck ready to go to the post office...THEN you find parts you forgot to pack into the kits! :eek:

I just finished doing that this morning! :mad:

Originally posted by sandman
Well, how about having six kits all boxed, wrapped, labeled and in the truck ready to go to the post office...THEN you find parts you forgot to pack into the kits! :eek:

I just finished doing that this morning! :mad:

This IS a big fear of mine! I am setting parts up in an assembly line format in bins as they are ready. I am also making sub-assembly bags to go in the main bag (all of the nose cones in one bag, motor mount parts in another, detail parts in yet another...). I hope this will help me not to goof! I guess it also helps that I am only making 50 of one kit at one time. If after I pack all of that up and discover I missed something then the consumer will get 2 bags with parts!:D

Here is a trick...

be sure to count *everything*. Don't just pour engine blocks into the bin. Count them. WHen you are done, if you have any left, start checking... :)

(Magna cum laude, School of Hard Knocks, class of '02)

:D

dude, been there, done that, gots me the t-shirt

ROFL! That's quite the accent you got there Jim! :D :p

Do you mean this T-shirt?

That IS good! I remember subscribing to the original club. Gots me the stickers too! ;)

Originally posted by jflis
We're all waiting to see it.
jim

I got a peek at the photo model at the NARHAMS meeting Saturday. (Sorry no spy shots as I was busy learning how to layup FAI fiberglass tubes)

Scott was saying how it _still_ wasn't ready, even though it pretty nigh done to me. :) Something about metallic gold decal film...

kj

Hey Kev,

Yes, I am at the decal making phase now and can I tell you.... I LOVE that Alps printer!!! The only thing that scares me about it is that you hit print, and with the amount of noise that thing makes, I expect it to spit out a full sized operating Dodge Viper! I just got my friends high end digital camera to take some quality photos of the model so I should have some decent photos to post soon.:D

Awesome pics!!

And, isn't decal drawing fun!!

The ALPS is a fickle mistress, but can print some awesome graphic decals when in the mood to do so....

PH

Yes Phred,
I speak nicely to the printer every day. I turn the AC up if it looks warm and give it a blanket at night if there is a chill in the air. I never cuss at it or give it a mean look. I want it to have a long life producing decals!

Go on over to the unfortunately-named Pimp Daddy Rocketry (www.pdrocketry.com) and get yer Andromedas and yer Alien Explorers, as well as the usual Trident and OrbTrans.

I ordered their Gemini Titan a week or so ago, and I received a very nice kit.

Originally posted by rokitflite
Is it because the public has just gotten lazy with building, or has imagination just gone out the window at Estes? What happened to the neat, deep space fantasy kits that used to abound? The Andromeda, Solar Sailer, Atlantis, Starlab and the Cassiopeia were some really cool rockets that just seemed to evaporate. All of these kits do big money on Ebay, why did they ALL go away in the first place:( . I guess I am just trying to start the new year off whining, but I miss these rockets... Anybody else?

Since rediscovering the hobby I have bemoaned the loss of the classics, so that is why we are bringing new Fantasy Kits to life.

https://www.pembertontechnologies.com/

Recently we released this retro beauty:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28722

Soon to be released is our M2-Mars Challenger, a classic retro silver spaceship.

And this is a scratch build that may have some potential in the far future.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29374

Squirrel Works has some absolutely FAB kits in their Sci-Fi lineup.

I for one have no major complaints with Estes Except for they seem to have changed the skill levels around and have surcomed to the dumbing down of america. Thanks to complaints from the parents of either lazy children or parents who buy their kids a kit that is way to advanced for them. I say this because I cannot count the number of rockets I have built in the bast for kids who's parents bought the rocket on its coolness facter and its looks.
It seems to be not only the deep space rockets but all catagories of rockets. I remember also at one time you used to beabe to get a education kit for parents and teachers for free. This kit cam with a hard 3 ring binder with a bunch or really great teaching tools and an alpha, and a hawkeye kit as far as I know it is gone. The old sciencefair kit is gone, as is the designers special from what Estes has told me.
I cannot falt estes for this because, if parents and schools dont help children to use their imagination and be creative. Soon we Scrach builders and cloners will be a part of history. I know that with the many clubs out their and our influience we can keep the sport alive. I is just going to be harder.

Wow Charlaine!
You are spending a lot of time searching the forum if you found THIS old thread!:D Estes is just responding to what the public wants and they have already been dumbed down by so many other things by the time they get to rocketry. I think as long as many of the small rocketry vendors stay around you will get all of the scratch building and clone information you will ever need.

I may have been in this hobby for a long time, but only found this forum a short time ago. I spend alot of time reading while searching for aswers. I have tons of questions. Why not look for help in pas posts first.

I may have been in this hobby for a long time, but only found this forum a short time ago. I spend alot of time reading while searching for aswers. I have tons of questions. Why not look for help in pas posts first.

OH! You're our new hero! :) Yes, searching the wealth of info on TRF is your first best choice!

jim

Latest posts

Back