I Miss The Deep Space Fantasy Rockets...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Rokitflite,

I hadn't come back to this thread in way too long, and I had missed your startling response. You have actual originals of the Canaroc Warlock? Wow! You have my heart-felt admiration and envy.

Could you start up a thread to let us know how contruction is coming along? Maybe with pictures? Would you be interested in scanning the plans and patterns and posting them at JimZ or Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe?

The Warlock is one of those fantastic kits that I've been fantasizing about for decades. I'd love to learn more details about it.

Originally posted by surdumil
Hey Rokitflite,

I hadn't come back to this thread in way too long, and I had missed your startling response. You have actual originals of the Canaroc Warlock? Wow! You have my heart-felt admiration and envy.

Could you start up a thread to let us know how contruction is coming along? Maybe with pictures? Would you be interested in scanning the plans and patterns and posting them at JimZ or Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe?

The Warlock is one of those fantastic kits that I've been fantasizing about for decades. I'd love to learn more details about it.

Hi Surdumil,
Did you ever get the kevlar I sent you?
Actually I am not building the Canaroc kits that I have. I think I would clone it before tearing the shrink wrap on one of the original kits! I collect because I have a very nostolgic personality. I posted pictures of my collection as of 5/08/2003 on this forum several months ago, but I can't remember the thread. I truly wish I was born 10-15 years earlier so that I could have experienced the space race and model rocketry in the 60s and 70s. I love hearing how the country was united and excited about space exploration. I bought the Canaroc kits that I have at the Pearl River rocketry seminar (that I lived for every year since 1979) and they hold a lot of memories for me. Thats where I met Mr. Fliskits for the first time too so it could not have been ALL bad!:D The rocket I am designing and kitting now reflects that nostolgic attitude of mine. I've almost finished the parts layout and WOW!, is it a bunch of parts!!! (picture attached). I was wondering if folks on this forum are intimidated or excited by a bag full of parts. I am using a standard sized Estes bag and it is stuffed!!! Let me know what you think!

Originally posted by rokitflite
I was wondering if folks on this forum are intimidated or excited by a bag full of parts. I am using a standard sized Estes bag and it is stuffed!!! Let me know what you think!

I say stuffed-full-o'-parts is definitely a good thing.

S..

Wow,
I went to the laser cutting place today to get the fins done. I WANT ONE OF THOSE MACHINES!!! Can anyone here spare $30,000.00 so I can get a nice used one? 3 fins with some intricate shapes cut out in 22 seconds. Maybe Xacto could make a home version for like $20 or something!

Hi again, Rokitflite,

I did indeed receive the kevlar twine that you'd sent, and I am deeply grateful. So far, I've used pieces of the twine in the two rocket clone's I'd mentioned earlier in this thread, the Star Warrior and the Starship Antares.

Is there anything I could send back to you?

Also, you've mentioned some intriguing things about a design you are working on. How are things going with your project?

Originally posted by surdumil
Is there anything I could send back to you?

Also, you've mentioned some intriguing things about a design you are working on. How are things going with your project?

Hi Dwayne,
Glad you received the Kevlar. No, there is no need to send me anything for it. You couldn't get it, I had it, I shared it, no problem.

The kit I am producing is going well. I am left with only a couple of major steps (parachute, decals & instructions) and it will be done. The instructions will be the most time consuming part. I will post photos of the finished craft once I get decals on it. I am trying to decide between waterslide decals from an alps printer or printed vinyl from a gerber edge. I took a couple of the prototypes to the monthly club meeting here and people loved it and the owner of three hobby shops down here wants to sell them in his store so I know I am doing something right! Judging from the prices I have seen on some of the kits on this forum, and the amount of stuff that will be in my kit I think it will be reasonable price. I hope to have the whole thing done well before the summer.

I've seen the prototype at some of the club meetings that Scott has brought it too, it really is an impressive model. Has built itno it losts of room for individuality in the amount of detail and doodads you want to add.

I'm in line for one. :)

kj

wow, been a while since i checked back on this thread! things looking good :)

I love a huge bag-o-parts!! lol. I just got my FlisKits USS Grissom in the mail two days ago...
havn't started it yet tho, because today i started on my StarLab!!! this thing rocks! i'm not sure yet if i like it or the Solar Sailer more so far as looks go, but its so fun to build a kit like this :p

I must remember to thank my aunt again for picking up these awsome old kits at a yard sale for me for christmas!! :D

You can't do without it... It's Electra! Boogie Woogie Woogie...

Sorry, I found myself doing the Electra Slide.

Cool looking kit! Have you counted to see just how many different fin pieces there are! I better go buy some more sanding sealer!:D

Originally posted by rocketkid88
wow, been a while since i checked back on this thread! things looking good :)

I love a huge bag-o-parts!! lol. I just got my FlisKits USS Grissom in the mail two days ago...
havn't started it yet tho, because today i started on my StarLab!!! this thing rocks! i'm not sure yet if i like it or the Solar Sailer more so far as looks go, but its so fun to build a kit like this :p

I must remember to thank my aunt again for picking up these awsome old kits at a yard sale for me for christmas!! :D

Hey Rocketkid,
You are working on one of my favorite kits right now, the Starlab! That is one of the kits that was at the front of my mind when designing mine. Any folks who like a big bag of parts will NOT be dissappointed with this kit! It looks like it is going to be considered a skill level 3 or 4 (4 nowadays and 3 in the days of the original Orbital Transport). There will be no truly difficult steps in building it, its just that there will be a lot of them. I started working on the instructions last night. My goal was to make the instructions so clear that you could build it with no pictures, and then add pictures so clear that you could build it without reading the instructions. The text may be a little wordy, but I want people to be able to get this thing together easily.

I can't wait to see what is on the darkside of the moon!!!

According to Pink Floyd (I think), "There is no dark side of the moon. As a matter of fact, it's all dark!"
Just wanted to point that out :D .

I'm holding out for the kitmaker who's the next one to creatively use dowels and the like to make some really out-there designs like the Andromeda.

Originally posted by KermieD
I'm holding out for the kitmaker who's the next one to creatively use dowels and the like to make some really out-there designs like the Andromeda.

I'm hurrying I'm hurrying... I am working on instructions and I must say that they will, by far, be the most time consuming part of this kits design.:rolleyes:

Is it because the public has just gotten lazy with building, or has imagination just gone out the window at Estes? What happened to the neat, deep space fantasy kits that used to abound? The Andromeda, Solar Sailer, Atlantis, Starlab and the Cassiopeia were some really cool rockets that just seemed to evaporate. All of these kits do big money on Ebay, why did they ALL go away in the first place:( . I guess I am just trying to start the new year off whining, but I miss these rockets... Anybody else?

Try the Refit U.S.S. Atlantis out for size! A Nice Bag o' parts!

Dave

I have to weigh in here....

I have been waiting for Scotts newest creation since I saw the first pictures... and while I am not a construction expert [ thus this kit will take me weeks to build] I do know COOL when I see it...

For those of you who love the "deep space" look this model is for you...for those of you who like to bring out a model and have everyone on the field to go "ooooooooooo" and "aaahhhhhhh" this model is for you also. Are you a construction nut? Step right up - this one is for you too.

This one is on my "Top 3" list to build this year.....

Hurry the heck up scott! :)

Originally posted by el chubbo
I have to weigh in here....

I have been waiting for Scotts newest creation since I saw the first pictures... and while I am not a construction expert [ thus this kit will take me weeks to build] I do know COOL when I see it...

For those of you who love the "deep space" look this model is for you...for those of you who like to bring out a model and have everyone on the field to go "ooooooooooo" and "aaahhhhhhh" this model is for you also. Are you a construction nut? Step right up - this one is for you too.

This one is on my "Top 3" list to build this year.....

Hurry the heck up scott! :)

I can't wait to see this kit either. I'm not a construction nut, or at least not a finishing nut, so while I want to build it, I'm still hesitant to say I'll finish it very well.

Scott, I can't remember if you ever said what motors it will fly on... did you?

"As of 5 Mar 05:
Built and Flown: Estes No. 2 Skywriter, Estes Freaky Flyer (lost), Estes Stars & Stripes, Quest Mirage, Estes Patriot Missile (stuck in tree), Quest Intruder, Quest Antari, Quest Totally Tubular, bashed Quest Commander (used 3 kits), bashed Estes Stars & Stripes (same one listed above), Quest Super Bird, Quest Pip Squeak, shortened non-payload-carrying Quest Icarus, Estes Hi-Flier, Estes X-Prize Lucky Seven, Estes X-Prize Gauchito, Quest M2Q2 Lifting Body, bashed Long Stripey Totally Tubular, Quest Sport, Edmonds CiCi boost glider (2 of them)
Built and Not Yet Flown: Edmonds CiCi boost glider (1 of them)
Under Construction: BT-50-based downscale of DG&A Armageddon, single-disc CD spool rocket, scratch paper rocket"

Gee John,
Didn't you say you WERE NOT a builder??? My model will use a B6-2 or a C6-3. I would bet it would almost fly on an A8-3 if built lightly enough, but I would not reccomend it!

Hey El Chubbo!
Well, I solved the parachute problem last weekend, the fins have been cut and I am about a quarter of the way through the written part of the instructions. I have a quote on the printing of the face card and I just ordered all of the detail parts. I am waiting for Totally Tubular (over 2 weeks now) for some tube coupler stock and the decals are going very slowly. Short of a lot more typing of instructions, taking a bunch of pictures and the decals so I can finish the photo model, its ready to go! I hope it will done BEFORE summer. Thanks for the kind words!

OK,
When I said I was going to produce 50 kits it did not seem like a lot. The kit uses 4 sections of 2" BT-50 tubes. Hey moron (me talking to myself) do you realize that means you will be cutting out 200 pieces of tubing!!! Talk about sore hands!!! Also taking up the coffee table: 50 parachute packs, 150 resin cast nose cones and 450 OTHER body tube sections that had to be cut!!! All of you manufacturers out there have my utmost respect!!! At least I am too far along to give up now!!!

Sympothies and welcome to the club. The transient pain is balanced by seeing someone else build and fly one
of your creations.

Stuart

OK,
When I said I was going to produce 50 kits it did not seem like a lot.

ha HA! Looks like we caught us another one, Martha... :D :D :D

Well, now you know :) When we first started we purchased about 5000 board feet of balsa in various thicknesses and built a jig for cutting it all to size. This was about the time we were getting ready to order our 36" tubes and make a cutting jig for that.....

After spending TWO full days cutting balsa, gagging on dust, cleaning the mess and nearly loosing a finger, I sat down with Brian and said "we are buying this stuff *CUT* from now on! Oh, and about those body tubes.... " :D

So now we get everything cut to size. We're a kit company, not a tube cutting nor wood sawing company.

That's my story, and i'm stickin' to it!
:)

Originally posted by jflis
ha HA! Looks like we caught us another one, Martha... :D :D :D

Well, now you know :) When we first started we purchased about 5000 board feet of balsa in various thicknesses and built a jig for cutting it all to size. This was about the time we were getting ready to order our 36" tubes and make a cutting jig for that.....

After spending TWO full days cutting balsa, gagging on dust, cleaning the mess and nearly loosing a finger, I sat down with Brian and said "we are buying this stuff *CUT* from now on! Oh, and about those body tubes.... " :D

So now we get everything cut to size. We're a kit company, not a tube cutting nor wood sawing company.

That's my story, and i'm stickin' to it!
:)
Sounds like a good story, Jim. I can't imagine how much time and effort and finger losses it must save you to buy things pre-cut.

So did I miss something or has Scott not provided us a picture of this sci-fi bird? :confused:

Hi,
No, you did not miss anything. I have not posted a picture of the final model yet. I am the type that likes to get everything perfect before I show it off. A couple of the parts are not finalized yet (such as tube couplers that Totally Terrible Tubular has yet to send after over a month). I just put the last color coat on the photo model. Once I get the decals on and final detail painting done I will post the pictures. I am sure you folks will like it. I gave one of the early versions of the model to a friend that does military models. He weathered it and put some battle damage on it. It sat in his store for a day waiting for me to pick it up and several of the plastic kit modelers wanted one not even realizing it was a model rocket. I promise you guys, I am going as fast as I can!:D

Is it because the public has just gotten lazy with building, or has imagination just gone out the window at Estes? What happened to the neat, deep space fantasy kits that used to abound? The Andromeda, Solar Sailer, Atlantis, Starlab and the Cassiopeia were some really cool rockets that just seemed to evaporate. All of these kits do big money on Ebay, why did they ALL go away in the first place:( . I guess I am just trying to start the new year off whining, but I miss these rockets... Anybody else?
IMO i think estes is trying to go the more slick, fast, high flying mean looking rocket route. Although they do have some fantasy type rockets out that might be in your area of interest such as the shuttle express,Eagle,GBU-24 Paveway 3,Python 4 ASRAAM(both are militayr bombs but have a nice slick design),Cosmos Mariner(booster glider),Spaceshipone,Scissor Wing Transport, and i love the way the Renegade looks. Iam aware that most of the ones i mentioned dont follow a fantasy type rocketship but they do have the basic design most of the early designs they created had. But i just think estes has noticed that most rocket builders/fliers are demanding more powerful, high flying rockets. They got the commanche 3 that almost hits 3000 feet on D engines and the Cc express as well flying at a basic 2000 feet. But for their imagination part , and i still dont get what makes these cool rockets, but the meteor masher and that Cluster Bomb rocket,lol a friend of mine thought about cutting the bombs in 2 and placing babypower in them and as they smacked earth it would make clouds of smoke,lol not ried it yet but sounds like a neat competition to start.But that Cosmos mariner is supposed to be a huge hit with fantasy rocketeers the kit goes for about $30 through estes, but ive learned a trick about going to hobby lobbys and speaking to a manager about what kind of rockets he should get to attract more buyers and it never fails to end up seeing what ya like on the shelf in a reasonable amount of time and for cheap at that. I bought a executioner for $10 which is $50 kit through estes.

Hey Badboy,
Yes, all of the models you mentioned ARE cool, but do not have the long, thin and graceful elegance that I am looking for. The links below show pretty much all of the classic Estes rockets with this feel. Check out the Andromeda, Starlab, USS Atlantis, SS Cassiopeia, Solar Sailer and Alien Explorer. I think these kits show real imagination and it is what mine is modeled after. It seems that Fliskits and Shrox have answered this call with the Night Far Whisper Scape :D, the Alien 8 and the Solarkron. Sirius Rocketry's USS Atlantis Refit is TOTALLY cool in addition to Jim Flis' yet to be named fantasy ship. These are a few of my favorite things!

https://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/77est032.html

https://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/77est030.html

https://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/estes82/82est42.html

https://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/estes80/80est36.html

https://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/81est038.html

Back