I Miss The Deep Space Fantasy Rockets...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokitflite

Reaction score
Is it because the public has just gotten lazy with building, or has imagination just gone out the window at Estes? What happened to the neat, deep space fantasy kits that used to abound? The Andromeda, Solar Sailer, Atlantis, Starlab and the Cassiopeia were some really cool rockets that just seemed to evaporate. All of these kits do big money on Ebay, why did they ALL go away in the first place:( . I guess I am just trying to start the new year off whining, but I miss these rockets... Anybody else?

Originally posted by rokitflite
Is it because the public has just gotten lazy with building, or has imagination just gone out the window at Estes? What happened to the neat, deep space fantasy kits that used to abound? The Andromeda, Solar Sailer, Atlantis, Starlab and the Cassiopeia were some really cool rockets that just seemed to evaporate. All of these kits do big money on Ebay, why did they ALL go away in the first place:( . I guess I am just trying to start the new year off whining, but I miss these rockets... Anybody else?

Me too -

However, there is hope. Check out the offerings of Shrox and the kits released through Fliskits that are his design (isn't the Alien8 a re-issue?)

Also, Fliskits has a couple of other sci-fi type offerings, including the Farscape and the Stingray that may whet your appetite a bit.

Other than those, I would suggest cloning the kits mentioned above. I have cloned 3 of the five you've mentioned, and upscaled two of them. Re-creating those kits from plans is very rewarding!!!!!!! (And upscales are even cooler!)

Originally posted by Fore Check
Me too -

However, there is hope. Check out the offerings of Shrox and the kits released through Fliskits that are his design (isn't the Alien8 a re-issue?)

Also, Fliskits has a couple of other sci-fi type offerings, including the Farscape and the Stingray that may whet your appetite a bit.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Don't forget FlisKits U.S.S. Grissom:)
Larry

Hi Fore Check,
Yeah, I've SEEN what you build and it helps me to miss the stuff even more! You are the man! Actually, I HAVE all of the models I mentioned other than the Atlantis and Cassiopeia in both kit and built (in the early 80s) form. I just miss newer ones in the same genre comming out. I love the fact that Fliskits is making cool Sci-Fi kits, they are very unique and the Farscape looks really cool in flight. Its just that those kits are missing something for me and I can't figure out what it is. You know, it may simply be that 70s Sci-Fi flavor that the Estes kits had. I am in the process of throwing together parts until I get one that gives me that feeling again. I have attached a picture of the first one that I hated (very un graceful), but it gave me other ideas. I hope to have it nailed down soon. Hey, if I get it right I'll kit it:D .

Oh, there are some really cool craft I keep in synchronous orbit beyond the moon, they will be arriving soon...

Wow Don,
I like the Squirell Works kits, especially the Astrid (also the name of a friends ex-girlfriend). These are more of the Buck Rogers look which I also love. I want to see ones like the Discovery from 2001, the Proteus (?) from the Planet Of The Apes re-make, or the one that was in the Lost In Space remake that was infested with those weird spider things. You know, that long fragile, built in space look. The Estes Andromeda just had such a mean gracefulness to it that I am trying to put my finger on. I'm working on it, I'll get the right design before I run out of parts!!!

The USS Grissom is exactly the style I am talking about!!! But am I reading it right that it is MINI engine powered??? I swore I remember seeing Jim Flis with one at one of the model rocket conventions in the late 80s that was BIG and could not have been mini engine powered. The Alien 8 definately looks cool, but the oval fins just reminds me of the Andromeda again. I will be buying an Alien 8 at some point though, it does draw me in some way.

Shrox,
I can't wait to see what is on the darkside of the moon!!!

So can I assume you guys are all fans of this style kit as well?

Check out the Alien Explorer (Estes) from the same time period as the Andromeda and similar design. Also it is seldom seen at
launches. I have build a clone, a 170% upscale and a 20% downscale.

The Alien explorer is a good one too. I've got one and it seems that Estes tried to replace the Andromeda with that one. But my lord it was a sanding sealer nightmare:rolleyes: !!! I'm just upset that Estes and Quest don't have any offerings like this. Quest coughed up a mini Interceptor with their Invader kit and Estes did the Renegade. I sent a design to Quest for another "fighter type" rocket. But the deep space probe idea just isn't "taking flight".

Oh, and is there a picture of that 170% upscale Alien Explorer anywhere??? It sounds REALLY cool!

I Loved those kits. I wish Estes did a limited addition run on them. Im Planing to do a build of the Solar Sailer and Solar Sailer II. Right now Im making a list want i need to make one. You can get the plans from www.provide.net/~jimz/jimz.htm
And many other plans.

Originally posted by shrox
Oh, there are some really cool craft I keep in synchronous orbit beyond the moon, they will be arriving soon...

If they're beyond the moon, how do you get them to stay in synchronous orbit?
:)

The USS Grissom is exactly the style I am talking about!!! But am I reading it right that it is MINI engine powered??? I swore I remember seeing Jim Flis with one at one of the model rocket conventions in the late 80s that was BIG and could not have been mini engine powered. The Alien 8 definately looks cool, but the oval fins just reminds me of the Andromeda again. I will be buying an Alien 8 at some point though, it does draw me in some way.

Shrox,
I can't wait to see what is on the darkside of the moon!!!

So can I assume you guys are all fans of this style kit as well?

Scott, what you saw back then was a maxi version (you can see details of the one you saw here: https://jflis.com/hobbies/rocketry/photos_grissom.htm )

The small version that we kitted up is the original size. It first appeared in kit form at one of the NEMROC conventions (I did up about 10 of them, with hand turned nose cones)

As for being fans of that style, you bet'cha! :)

I always liked the Jupiter II from Lost in Space. I guess that is why I have a number of saucers. I also liked the Eagle landers from Space 1999. Battlestar Galactica had the Vipers and the Galactica herself. Favorite Star Wars ship is the X Wing Fighter. The new show has cool Cylon fighters. I someday want to make a flying version of the starship from Planet of the Apes, the Icarus.

I didn't build any of the Estes Fantasy Rockets back in the day.

Originally posted by JRThro
If they're beyond the moon, how do you get them to stay in synchronous orbit?
:)

Because I am the Master of the Dark Art of Rocketry...

Oh, and is there a picture of that 170% upscale Alien Explorer anywhere??? It sounds REALLY cool!
-----------------

Here is a static picture of all three of my ALien Explorers.
The upscale has flown on F and low thrust G engines.

Rocketflite, I know exactly how you feel. I keep waiting for someone to come out with a kit that brings back that WOW factor. Maybe with Estes slowly re-issuing older"classics" maybe these are in the works as well. Check out this link to Q-Modeling. They have upscaled a couple of older Estes kits and the link is to what is in the works :

https://www.qmodeling.com/Rocket - Lab.htm

stl1951:
Awesome upscale. I was thinking about doing the same.

Well,
After a sleepless New Years I threw together another design and it jumped out at me very nicely! It sort of reminds me of the Centuri SSV Scorpion mixed with the Andromeda. I slapped some gray primer on it and took advantage of the GREAT flying weather Maryland provided for me today. The prototype flew great on B4-2, C6-5 & C6-3 motors. I will go to the laser cutting guy to get a quote on doing the fins before I even think of producing a kit. If I do make a kit I want it to be of high quality. What do you guys think of a CD for the instructions? This would keep costs lower and provide alot of color photos in the assembly steps.

Well,
After a sleepless New Years I threw together another design and it jumped out at me very nicely! It sort of reminds me of the Centuri SSV Scorpion mixed with the Andromeda. I slapped some gray primer on it and took advantage of the GREAT flying weather Maryland provided for me today. The prototype flew great on B4-2, C6-5 & C6-3 motors. I will go to the laser cutting guy to get a quote on doing the fins before I even think of producing a kit. If I do make a kit I want it to be of high quality. What do you guys think of a CD for the instructions? This would keep costs lower and provide alot of color photos in the assembly steps.

Scott,

I think a CD would be okay, but paper instructions would be easier to have in hand while doing the actual build. Of course, someone with the CD would print his own paper copy, wouldn't he? I'd say the CD is a good choice.

Are you in the kit business now?

Hi John,
No, I would not say that I'm in the kit business. This is just one design style that I don't see enough of and I want to see as a kit. So the only way to make sure it happens it is to make it myself. I have enough parts, contacts and experience to do a limited run, so what the heck. Hey, if I get it done you can be a guinea pig and test it out to see if the instructions, parts and other characteristics of the model look and perform alright. It will be a couple of months though, I am not going to do it if it can't be done nicely and for a reasonable price (I am trying to limit it to $20). Also, I want to use all resin or plastic nose cones since I hate filling balsa ones! I'll let you and the forum know how its going.

Hey rokitflite; ROCKETPAD & THRUSTLINE HAVE SOME PRETTY cool looking FUTURISTIC type kits that are on ebay from time to time ! What Estes has droped, others have picked up! Whoe says a new cool kit has to come from Estes any way? Better to spend our hard earned money on US made kits than ones made in commi China!
Not A Lib:) :)

Well,
If I ever get this kit made up I'll make sure no part of it is made in commi Maryland!:D

Originally posted by JRThro
I'd say the CD is a good choice.
So do I. Not only could the CD contain the 'normal' instructions, but it could have short films and/or animations and other multimedia goodies.

Hi John,
No, I would not say that I'm in the kit business. This is just one design style that I don't see enough of and I want to see as a kit. So the only way to make sure it happens it is to make it myself. I have enough parts, contacts and experience to do a limited run, so what the heck. Hey, if I get it done you can be a guinea pig and test it out to see if the instructions, parts and other characteristics of the model look and perform alright. It will be a couple of months though, I am not going to do it if it can't be done nicely and for a reasonable price (I am trying to limit it to $20). Also, I want to use all resin or plastic nose cones since I hate filling balsa ones! I'll let you and the forum know how its going.

Scott,

I sent you a reply to your PM, and yes, of course I'd love to be a guinea pig!

I've never flown a model with a balsa nose cone, but not out of any preference or anything. It's just that nothing I've bought has come with a balsa nose cone.

Yes Cydermaster,
I had planned to put some test flight videos on the CD. I think there would be plenty of room for construction photos and building tips. It looks like this may happen, I have a friend working on decals now so at least it is reaching the no turning back phase. I am just trying to change a few things to make construction easier.

I would love to see more kits like that :) i wasn't around when these kits were 'new', but i recently built a stock solar sailer. My aunt got that and a few other long oop kits at a yard sale for about 5 bux each... it was the most enjoyable build i've had in a long time! It really wet my taste for other models like that, and there will be a USS Grissom i my mailbox soon :)
I havn't flown the SS yet, and the weather this time of year isn't too good for finishing, but here is a pic of it nekid.

Very Nice Rocketkidd!!!
Looks like a nice clean build (although the cat in the background does not seem too impressed). I have had one of these kits built for about 20 years and mine is still in the same unpainted condition with one coat of sanding sealer on it! I also like the stand that you made for it! I am trying to make a kit that requires very little sanding sealer in easy to reach places so finishing is not such a bear!!!

I am trying to make a kit that requires very little sanding sealer in easy to reach places so finishing is not such a bear!!!

If you could make a kit that would paint itself too, that would be great!
;)

Lets see, if I include an M-80 and a can of Testors paint with instructions would that come close? Of course the house, the car, the yard, the family pet AND the rocket owner would tend to recieve a coat of paint as well.

Latest posts

Back