How long till the first Pokemon-Go-related death?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long till the first death caused by Pokemon Go?

• There's already been one; where have you been?

• I give it a week.

• Definitely within a month.

• Never. People aren't that stupid!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Things like this Pokemon Go are why I live in relative seclusion up here in tiny town Vermont.
I misspelled "Pokemon", and spell check was quick to notice, and a right click showed the correct spelling, yet spell check has never heard of an igniter.:confused:

What a great tool for terrorists too, this Pokemon Go.
I can think of more than a few ways to use it as part of a plot to inflict mass casualties.
That video of the folks running like Lemmings over a cliff to Central Park makes me sick.

Some voices echo those of when computers and GPS first came out. :wink:

Also before we pre-judge, please try to be open minded until you've tried/experienced...so many opinions are often made without true knowledge. Us being rocketeers should know better since people unfamiliar with this hobby would consider it in the category of toys or explosives.

I for one find it a blessing. I'm a runner and have tried hard to get my family outside and this game finally has them out of the house and walking. Additionally, we're finding a common interest as well as meeting other friendly people in town we likely would've never met. :)

In Germany some students while playing PokemonGo run into a proving ground of the military where live ammuntion was in use.

PGO player, engineer, and fellow racketeer here.

There is much controversy about this game and the errant lack of awareness of some of those that play (the "zombies" many are seeing).

Maybe you think chasing invisible, weird-named, virtual creatures is just immature of 20 and 30-somethings (I'm 25 BTW). Maybe you laugh at all these kids running around looking at their phones or trying to "hack" the game by strapping it to their dogs, drones, other children, etc. Maybe it is just a silly game/fad and it'll die in a few weeks/months.

Maybe...

I live in Titusville, FL where we have stellar views of the launch facilities at KSC and CCAFS. There are easily a dozen parks along US-1 in Brevard where you can view launches and sit by the river, enjoying the afternoon sea breeze. If you ever get a chance to visit, come by Space View Park and Veterans Memorial Park. About two or three months ago my SO and I visited these parks and they were barren. Completely devoid of anyone save for a few older folks that were paying respects at the memorial. No kids whatsoever.

At this park are there are wonderful metal sculptures dedicated to the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, and even Shuttle programs, with the names of hundreds of people who contributed to each memorial. Additionally, there is a kind of "Space Star Boulevard" with hand impressions from many astronauts, and a memorial dedicated to those explorers who perished. All of this I only recently discovered having lived here for just under a year.

With the release of this game, this park became a Pokemon gold-mine overnight and in the last week I have seen HUNDREDS of different individuals out at the park. I ran into a 30-something couple playing the app with their daughter. They had lived in Titusville for 10 years and never knew the park existed. How? It's not the big attraction. KSC Visitor Center is what draws tourist to the area, and Titusville is out of the way for pretty much everyone visiting the space center.

I have been to the park four times in the past week for Pokemon, and each night it is packed with people of ALL ages. From young children playing with their parents, to teens/young adults and *gasp* millennials, married couples and those well into their retirement. The game brought this town into areas that so few know about and has united many people that might not interact otherwise.

I think this game has genuinely helped bring communities together in the past week, especially with the events going on across our world.

I don't pretend to be a happy-go-lucky "millennial" who believes if we all love each other then violence will stop and all will be rainbows and unicorns. I am an engineer and a realist and I expect that stupid people playing this game will only show how stupid they are (maybe we can bring Stupidity Awareness to the medical forefront). I digress...:facepalm:

If you are so inclined to view some of the positive changes this app has brought about, go to the PokemonGo subreddit (reddit.com/r/pokemongo). Walking for charity, picking up trash, cleaning up graffiti, etc. Many of these people might not have given these actions a second glance, but unifying over something as simple as virtual monsters seems to have motivated a lot of younger people to get out and explore their communities.

I say, even if some idiots make it to the front page, it still has a net positive effect. As long as they stay off my lawn:eyeroll:, I'm okay with as many people playing it as possible.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to catch this Pikachu, and finish my Eggfinder. :)

Last edited:
Give them all a bucket, and tell them to pickup trash as they walk about. we'd have a cleaner country too!

Apparently there is a number you can call, to have your coordinates taken off their maps.. And yeah, there should have been a bit more foresight into areas that should be verboten.. (But then again, I assume they assumed we would be smarter!)

Had a pair of idiots children barge through our c store during shift change and into a posted Private, emloyees only office door, rifled the office and were found inside our walkin cooler looking for a damn pokemon.
The law wasn't but should have been called.
Had we been counting $ or somethng, unfortunate events would have made national headlines for certain.
It forced the store's procedures to be altered. Folks will be jailed in the future guaranteed.
One of our closest calls to date.

I still don't know what it is, don't want to know, but I have wanted to carry around one of the hand held air horns to blast underneath people's cell phones for a little reality check.

I was thinking we could put this fad to work for us by using the game to attract people to our club meetings and launches.

On the other hand, we could be swamped with knuckleheads who are so busy chasing invisible critters that they trip over our wires, step on our rockets, and generally blunder into harms way.

OK, I'm glad I got that idea out there would we can dismiss it right away.

I was thinking we could put this fad to work for us by using the game to attract people to our club meetings and launches.

On the other hand, we could be swamped with knuckleheads who are so busy chasing invisible critters that they trip over our wires, step on our rockets, and generally blunder into harms way.

OK, I'm glad I got that idea out there would we can dismiss it right away.

Whew! Ya had me skeered fer a moment...

I don't play Pokemon Go, nor do I associate with people who do. It is a pain, but in my case occurs somewhat lower than my neck. :eyeroll:

A counterpoint for thought :):

I see and hear of far more idiots driving cars than playing Pokemon Go...almost daily a car kills someone or drives through a store. When cars first came out, they killed a lot of people and horses. How about videos of people reading or putting on makeup while driving? Have you seen the video of someone flipping their car trying to drive through their front gate?

So are cars stupid or is it the people? :wink:

Sounds like not only is PGO good for exercise, but also life lessons; like literally every other hobby that gets you outside around other people.
Exercise, yes, although I don't know anything about this game other than it apparently sends you on a search. "Around other people," yes. However, as far as face to face human interaction is concerned, not so much I suspect, although, once again, that might not be the case with this particular game since I really don't know anything about it. As far as otherwise productive use of spare time, like learning something useful, what?

As another negative effect beyond vehicular accidents caused by cell phone use, there was a TV show about the human brain that pointed out the fact that hearing just one side of a phone conversation is inherently very distracting to many since we are used to hearing both sides of a conversation and our brains try to reconstruct the other side of the conversation we can't hear.

And there's evidence to show that the often counterproductive urge for instant gratification is being enhanced and the ability to concentrate on a complex task are being negatively affected. It's like a conditioning drug with negative side effects.

27810091261_8878ab10ca_o.jpg

27239350611_aa82203779_o.jpg

Last edited:
I'd hate to be a shoe shine boy anywhere these zombies show up for a pit stop.

poop16b-2-web.jpg

Things like this Pokemon Go are why I live in relative seclusion up here in tiny town Vermont.
I misspelled "Pokemon", and spell check was quick to notice, and a right click showed the correct spelling, yet spell check has never heard of an igniter.:confused:...

Mine knows Krushnic!

Back