Harvesting Electric Power from High Voltage Overhead Power Lines?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil didn't work... How about... Debbie Boone?

[EDIT] Maybe that wasn't a bright idea... I need to dim it down a bit...

Ok, so long ages ago, they we're thinking about a new 500 KV line to tie Western and Estern PA together. With the demise of the steel mills, we had a lot of excess generating capacity in the Pittsburgh area.
And the objections started; face it, nobody wants these things around, but by God, the lights better go on when you flick the switch... anyway, the objections centered on th EMF thing. The two partners, my bosses, who were long veterans of electric machinery design of all sizes were discussing the issue. One said, "Well, we've had one behind our place all these years and the girls grew up fine."
Now I had (at that time) twin 69 KV circuits running overhead at my place, and I told them that. The other boss got real serious. " Hold on a second, here, wait a minute. All bets are off. 110 [volts] is too much!" And he winked and smiled, but good Lord am I an easy target!

So now it's just a single 139 KV circuit... Hmm... 👹

Remember that when you do this you are building the secondary half of a transformer where the primary "winding" is 70-750KV. It is very easy to find yourself dealing with dangerous voltages.
No kidding! I guess I should be a little clearer when I'm joking, honestly. And I was.

But in the spirit of what this thread has transformed into, I wish you well... one good TURN deserves another!

Last edited:
Mess with power lines and you can get Inducted for a Darwin award
I had a classmate in high school that almost proved that... Poor guy climbed everything he could as a little kid... until one day he shimmied up a power pole... He lost his right arm to the shoulder, and his left arm to just below the elbow (he had one of those cable operated claws for manipulating things). In high school he was a hell of a good soccer player (seriously). We worked on the investment assignment in Economics together (we looked up everything at the last moment using the newspaper archive).

Later, when I was stationed in England (and had put on about 3 stone) I spotted him in Oxford while I was walking with my fiancé. I let him pass me (he didn't recognize me, and had never seen me with a girlfriend), then I spun around and in my best fake British accent, said "Well Fine David! Don't say Hi!" He was (pun unintended) shocked to be recognized, and had no idea who I was until I reminded him that I had helped him cheat in Economics. Me, I was loading F-111Es for the USAF. He was on his way to Lisbon to attend university.

This brought up an old memory...

Of course when we saw this and heard the line "What happens when your kite winds around a powerline?" we always yelled "YANK IT DOWN!!!"

You have to stop living such an insulated life! Strip dance like a live wire, and don't forget to fill your cup to full capacitance!
This thread is draining me, I have to recharge before my lights go out. I'm shocked that the creative spark here has been so electrifying. I posit that generating watt you seek is enlightening. I'm positive that this galvanize you towards bias in this field.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back