Harvesting Electric Power from High Voltage Overhead Power Lines?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it is a real thing. The power companies get really annoyed if you take serious power from the lines.
I was thinking just enough juice to charge up a cluster rocket 12V lead-acid launch battery. They would never miss it.

Let’s see. A long piece of coax? The article says the induced voltage was over 1,000 volts. That’s a lot of voltage for a 12V battery charger circuit.

Yes, it is a real thing. The power companies get really annoyed if you take serious power from the lines.

Yes, and their legals have nasty pointed teeth.

Plus it’s considered extremely dangerous, so most people wouldn’t do it. More than once. 🤔

EMR is still radiation. Time, distance and shielding are your friends......

Is this for real?

If I can fill a capacitor this way, what is the EMF from the overhead power lines doing to my chromosomes?

When we were shopping for a house, more than once my wife and I drove to look at a property that looked interesting in print, only to find that it was nestled beneath high tension lines. We didn't even slow down other than to turn around and go home.

To "siphon" off any meaningful power, you've got to be dangerously close. Just like RF energy, it falls off at the square of distance.
For example, with my 5 watt handheld radio, I can make a circuit that lights up an LED using just the energy coming off the antenna when I press transmit.
However, if I get more than 10 feet from the recieving circuit, the LED goes out because there's no longer enough meaningful voltage to drive the LED.

With a lot caps and coils, yeah, you can "steal" some energy. But it's more work than it's worth, and you get way more with a simple solar panel.
There's your free electricity to charge a 12v battery. I do that all the time with my ham radios. Solar is cheap and it works surprisingly well.

It's been done for real before. Yes the power company "found out" somehow after a long time. (A friend, of a friend, of a friend, finally asked the wrong person about it, and it was traced back.

The person had a Induction circuitry running the full length if the attic. It trickle charged the "storage system" 24/7/375. Then there was converters for his "power" to outlets etc.

"Details released were VERY LIMITED as the power companies didn't want a bunch of copy-cats. Who would either "steal power" or get hurt/killed trying and then sue them...

(If I get some time, [ha ha] I'll try to dig up what I have from it.)

Back