GDSCR - Gas Dynamic Stabilization Cluster Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
Here's a Scratch Build / Scratch Design rocket that uses dual 24mm motors with rear eject recovery. It uses GDS, Gas Dynamic Stability, under thrust and spin tabs in order to ensure stability during the coast phase.

It also has a payload bay so it can carry an altimeter.

2023-09-30 Side View.jpg

Last edited:
This one is a challenge, since you have succeeded before, I expect this will work. Is OpenRocket really able to input the effect of GDS and Spin Tabs. I am guessing neither is readily amenable to your wonderfully documented Swing Tests.

Question: this is quite different from your usual rear eject “spools”, although similar I think to your canted motors fighter jet rocket (I fergit the name.). How do you put a rear cone or cover that contains the parachute, that resists both gravity and acceleration forces but YIELDS to ejection forces? Seems like you need a Goldilocks touch, not too tight, not too loose.

This one is a challenge, since you have succeeded before, I expect this will work. Is Open Rocket really able to input the effect of GDS and Spin Tabs. I am guessing neither is readily amenable to your wonderfully documented Swing Tests.
Open Rocket:​
I use transparent fins and override the mass, CG and drag. This gives it the GDS stability, but negates the actual fins themselves​
The little fins are canted and they provide the roll in Open Rocket​
Question: this is quite different from your usual rear eject “spools”, although similar I think to your canted motors fighter jet rocket (I fergit the name.). How do you put a rear cone or cover that contains the parachute, that resists both gravity and acceleration forces but YIELDS to ejection forces? Seems like you need a Goldilocks touch, not too tight, not too loose.
On my F-79 I used fingers cut from a Nytril glove to hold the parachute in place.​
On this one... I'll just have to pack the chute "Just right".​

Are the insides of the “shroud/manifolds” lined with anything to resist ejection charge temperatures?

Beefy wood glue fillets!

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!
Grab the kidz and come on down to see double barrel GDS in widely spaced pods, ducted rear ejection with canted canards to induce spin on the triple wide body! It's a Spinzilla fest for the entire family! :)

How do you get motors in and more importantly out?
As a wise man once said "It is amazing what you can do when you don't have a choice."​
Actually they slide in easily. The BT-50 is sized to accept the motors... eazy peazy.​
Removable metal engine retainers will be used. More to follow...​

Getting the high roll rate, and keeping it through the coast phase, when the three body tubes make it like spinning a 1×3 board seems, um, sporty. You have a very good track record with far out designs, so I think you have a chance. Still, um... wow. (I also wonder what happens with GDS when the forces are off center, which they will be due to engine performance variations. But symmetry is overrated, and the roll drag gives me a lot more concern.)

Last edited:
Gas Dynamic Stabilization

How did you do the vents? do you have an extra long "jawed" hole punch? Those vents look perfectly clean and round, but a long distance from the tail end. I've had this problem on a number of my birds (although the hole needed to be about 2 and 1/4 inches from the tail), and my solutions were far less neat and elegant..

How did you do the vents?

Just your basic hole punch...​
001.JPG

Will the forward fins/canards be canted or just have a positive airfoil on one side?

Canted 30 degrees (Open Rocket only allows 15 degrees)​
10-03-2023 Simulation - Finished.jpg
Getting the high roll rate, and keeping it through the coast phase, when the three body tubes make it like spinning a 1×3 board seems, um, sporty. You have a very good track record with far out designs, so I think you have a chance. Still, um... wow. (I also wonder what happens with GDS when the forces are off center, which they will be due to engine performance variations. But symmetry is overrated, and the roll drag gives me a lot more concern.)

Open Rocket shows a maximum roll rate of 3.72 rev/sec (223 rpm) at burnout. That roll rate slows to 0.32 rev/sec at chute deployment. I anticipate the rocket will go unstable sometime prior to chute deployment. But I canted the fins 30 degrees, not 15.​
I also attempted to "balance" the rocket by putting the motor clips on one side and the launch lug on the other side. Thunk! exhibited some wobble during it's accent due to an offset motor clip, but nothing to severe. You could see the corkscrew in the motor smoke.​
Roll Rate.jpg

Last edited:
Hey dad! That guy has a rocket with crooked fins up front, no fins in back, widely spaced motors in pods and cheese grater holes punched in the motor tubes and rear ejection! Why doesn't our rocket look like that? Why does no one else's rocket look like that...DAD?

Well son, it's...a...I don't know. :)

Not sure how much it matters, but the motor side pods are gonna act a bit like fins in creating air resistance to AXIAL rotation. Kinda like egg beater blades or mechanical bread dough kneaders.

I am impressed that OpenRocket can calculate roll rate at all, so no idea whether it accounts for this.

Your big fillets may earn their thickness, as at a rapid roll rate the pods are gonna experience at least some degree if centrifugal force, and the motors start with a good bit of mass.

The smoke trail will look like a double helix coil of self replicating DNA...AND THAT IS THE MEANING OF LIFE!

Chapter 3: Launching Silly Rockets. Yes, I have an idea for a silly rocket and have come to the Department of Silly Rockets for government funding.

Sorry, Elon and Jeff already have it all. :)

Do you mean you're betting on roll in the opposite direction from what the canted canards would otherwise cause? I'll take that bet. With all due respect to Lakeroadster's brilliant madness, I'm not going to bet heavily on success at all; however I would bet that, if there is a sufficient period of sufficient stability to observe a definitive direction of spin, that spin will be as intended.

Back