funny story (IMO)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWRackers

Reaction score
Well, my wife thought it was funny when I told her about it, right after it happened.

The two of us helped some other members of our club (SEARS 572) at a demo we put on yesterday. It was for an educational program at Landmark Park outside Dothan, Alabama, about an hour and a half drive from our home near Panama City, Florida. It was mid afternoon when we were heading back home after the demo. I stopped at a little convenience store somewhere south of Dothan to stretch and get some cold caffeinated liquid ("Vault" in this case).

I am standing at the counter to pay for my purchase, still wearing my shirt with the SEARS 572 logo embroidered on it. The cashier notices the logo and starts reading aloud, "Southeast Alabama..." and then pauses to try to make out the rest of the lettering.

I fill in for her, "Southeast Alabama Rocketry Society". She and the young guy standing next to her look a bit surprised. "What do you folks do?" she asks.

"We build and fly rockets," I answer.

"You build them too?" she asks.

"Yep."

The young guy asks, possibly thinking he's being funny, "So, you're some kind of a rocket scientist?"

"Well... actually, yes."

His eyes get real big. "Cooool!"

In retrospect, I could've gone out to the vehicle and brought in my PML Explorer to show him. But I was tired and wanted to get home. And I didn't want to be responsible for him wetting himself :eek: .

------

Like I said, my wife thought it was funny.

Back