Full Balsa Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a cool project. I approve of departing from standard tubes.

I'm wondering how many pieces of balsa sheets you'll be using for the body's surface. Especially: 1 seam or 2 (or maybe more).

Having built over 100 balsa rockets, with probably 5 times that number of flights, I HAVE had two catch fire, one recently. So yes, it is rare, but it can happen. Fortunately they landed on green fields, but could have been a problem in dry grass or bush.

Make sure your internal balsa surfaces that may get impacted with hot particles are protected. Uncovered balsa is MUCH more flammable than a paper body tube. Mylar tape works, or aluminum foil can be attached with spray adhesive. Even a coat of paint may do the trick.

In both of my cases, I never saw the fire or the smoke, I just noted a black spot, that kept getting bigger, and bigger, and BIGGER, and then finally the light went on that this puppy was on fire. Flames are hard to see on a sunny day. I usually don’t stomp on my rockets after flight (although I have been tempted at times,) these two cases were exceptions.

In the first case, was a club lunch, no way could the peanut gallery have known initially why I was stamping on my rocket about 20 feet past the launch pad. It didn’t help that I was a fairly new member.......

Having built over 100 balsa rockets, with probably 5 times that number of flights, I HAVE had two catch fire, one recently. So yes, it is rare, but it can happen. Fortunately they landed on green fields, but could have been a problem in dry grass or bush.

Make sure your internal balsa surfaces that may get impacted with hot particles are protected. Uncovered balsa is MUCH more flammable than a paper body tube. Mylar tape works, or aluminum foil can be attached with spray adhesive. Even a coat of paint may do the trick.

In both of my cases, I never saw the fire or the smoke, I just noted a black spot, that kept getting bigger, and bigger, and BIGGER, and then finally the light went on that this puppy was on fire. Flames are hard to see on a sunny day. I usually don’t stomp on my rockets after flight (although I have been tempted at times,) these two cases were exceptions.

In the first case, was a club lunch, no way could the peanut gallery have known initially why I was stamping on my rocket about 20 feet past the launch pad. It didn’t help that I was a fairly new member.......
I wonder it a high temp paint like use for wood stoves or car engines sprayed on the balsa would help?

Hmm. I wonder why ejection baffles don't catch on fire then? Perhaps it's because they are made from light-ply and the process of gluing the ply's together helps them to be more fire resistant? I read somewhere, maybe here on TRF, that simply coating balsa with wood glue makes it much more fire resistant. I guess that would make sense as it seals up the pores of the balsa.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/most-effective-baffle-design.159064/page-2#post-2064760

next bit done today - each fin weighs 7g :)
jQjsTRB.jpg

Hobby Lobby did have 1/32 sheets - so the outer skin will be made from 2 - 4 x 36" plus about 1" more - so, 3 seams - should be an adventure to get it wrapped :)

Sounds like I will need to do some type of fire retardant on the inside. For the outside, Stain and urethane is the current plan.
Still debating with myself if I will be adding any wood accents on the outside (window ports, doors, panels, or just keep it clean and smooth)

Hmm. I wonder why ejection baffles don't catch on fire then? Perhaps it's because they are made from light-ply and the process of gluing the ply's together helps them to be more fire resistant? I read somewhere, maybe here on TRF, that simply coating balsa with wood glue makes it much more fire resistant. I guess that would make sense as it seals up the pores of the balsa.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/most-effective-baffle-design.159064/page-2#post-2064760
I doubt it takes very much, a coat of any nonflammable (when dry) paint or primer or glue would probably do it. Interestingly, Fabri-Tac Glue was recommended as an adhesive to put black powder on Estes new pyrogen free starters. It is strongly flammable when wet. I tried it both with and without powder. It works WITH powder, does nothing without powder. Turns out it is NOT inherently flammable when dry. Makes sense, the legal implications of putting intentionally flammable material on clothing would not be good.

https://www.beaconadhesives.com/fabri-tac-tips-and-tricks/Go to tip 7

Cool rocket. Not exactly Smurf-like, but still cool. Gonna find a stain that accentuates the grain without too much darkening of the wood?

Make sure to use a brightly colored chute. One time I launched an unpainted balsa rocket in fall, the FlutterBye. Unfortunately unpainted balsa has an amazing similarity to fallen leaves.....:(

Pondering the fire-proofing of the inside balsa tube - thinking a sleeve of Parchment paper might be easy and effective?
For the stain, I am thinking a gold oak type color - any thoughts on making it tougher? (1/32 balsa is not the most robust skin choice)
the chute is a 24" red nylon from Balsa machining - nice chute, should be easy to see
and the wood water pipes - crazy the stuff we do as humans to progress :)

... For the stain, I am thinking a gold oak type color - any thoughts on making it tougher? ...

I used spar urethane (no stain), brushed on, 3 coats, on my lifting rocket. I was amazed at how "tough" it made the balsa. Spar urethane results in a darker "warm looking" finish.

Perhaps do some test pieces and see what you like best?
001.JPG005.JPG

This is the coolest thing I have seen this month... following to the bitter end.

Back