Full Balsa Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoachSteve

Reaction score
I have not done a build thread in a while so I thought I would try something a little different.
Its probably been done before but I am enjoying the project :)

3" 24mm low power rocket made from as little cardboard as possible.
Here is goes

First is the airframe
start with this
X4QBA9k.jpg

Use this to make a bunch of perfect 3" circles from 1/4x3 balsa
wfDhe1S.jpg

Ending up with these
RVGpu7X.jpg

Then make a jig to cut 9 notches in each ring
IEqeW12.jpg

So now I have these
FW7t2cI.jpg

Very carefully with a hole saw
BLabuRi.jpg

Dang that was a of of work but now I have these
Six5JQ5.jpg

More to come

In some of my old rocket magazines, there was a husband and wife team that made all Balsa Rockets but I cannot remember what the name of the company was

I wonder how well the rocket would fly if you just flew it in the "bare bones" configuration, just the nose cone, the spars and some fins?

I saw this today... and thought of this build. It's a 1917 Roland D.VI.

Speaking of which.. @CoachSteve ... are you planning to use something like a spar urethane as a coating?

1917 Roland D.VI.jpg

The current plan is 1/32 Balsa skin - the nose cone above is done this way :)
I think I will stain and then clear coat for a unique look.

so - I measured the inner diameter and overall length needed - glued 1/32 balsa sheets together - curled the dried sheet into a 3.5" mailing tube - rolled up a sheet of posterboard - put it inside the packing tube to "unroll" and press against the balsa over night (I was going to wet it if this didn't work). 24 hours later I removed the balsa from the mailing tube, it now had a descent curve to it - gently rolled it up, slid it into the frame, used a smaller mailing tube to press against the sides (inside the now inner balsa tube) until the seam no longer overlapped (said in my head "I cant believe that worked" :) ). then glued the seam and around each frame ring. To be honest, I had to remove the balsa sheet 3 times trimming the width of the sheet ever so slightly until I had the diameter right so the seam would not overlap. bit tedious but cool now :)

Last edited:
I just noticed that one of my 1/32 sheets for the outer skin is damaged, going to have to see where I can get some more (I ordered all the wood from Balsa Machining Service, love those guys, but i dont want to pay $12 shipping for 2 $3 sheets of balsa - hope somewhere local carries it). This will delay the outer skinning. but I need to make a nose shoulder and fins too so more to come.

I just noticed that one of my 1/32 sheets for the outer skin is damaged, going to have to see where I can get some more (I ordered all the wood from Balsa Machining Service, love those guys, but i dont want to pay $12 shipping for 2 $3 sheets of balsa - hope somewhere local carries it). This will delay the outer skinning. but I need to make a nose shoulder and fins too so more to come.

Our local True Value has balsa and basswood sheets and blocks... you might check yours to see if they carry them?

Your rocket "visually" remind me of old school water pipes that were made from wood... don't know if you've ever seen those before?

1605288855716.png1605288911483.png

Our local True Value has balsa and basswood sheets and blocks... you might check yours to see if they carry them.
You can also try Hobby Lobby. I picked up a 1/32” sheet from there and used it to replace the cardstock skins on my Estes shuttle.

Holy crap! You are ambitious. Skilled too.
I bought materials for an all balsa rocket, a while back, but it's going to be far less complicated than yours.
I got as far as cutting out the main panels, then put all my building on hold.
Really looking forward to your finished rocket.

Back