Maxi Alpha

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Long_Gone

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So in getting a new 3d printer because my old one was not cooperating, I just happen to print a Maxi Alpha Nose Cone designed by Jack Hydrazine. So I said well we are beyond the hard part lets do this. Looked around my rocket parts and found one (14") BT 80 and a (12") section of BT 50. The kit called out for 1/8" hard balsa, yep right here. Over to the laser and done (pattern from https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est1291/est1291.pdf), then I had no BT80 to BT50 centering rings so over to the laser and cut them from 1/16" birch ply (had no card stock of ay kind). So I went on Amazon and ordered BT 80 tubes (2), BT 80 coupler and a 24mm engine retainer (not sure if I want to use this.). The 24" parachute was in my stuff as well as the 3/16 launch lug and the 24mm engine block. Well that looks like the complete kit. I will start tomorrow. I always wanted one of these and seeing that they are hard to find this will do I weighed the components and I am a little heavy because of the solid channel for the eyebolt, I am ok with that because I plan on using D and E for this rocket. I will upload the ORK tomorrow when I get it done.

Thanks

Attachments

• Cone and BT 80 fit.jpg
    Cone and BT 80 fit.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • laser work.jpg
    laser work.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Nosecone 1.jpg
    Nosecone 1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • nosecone printing.jpg
    nosecone printing.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 549327-00d11c31750926b4b3dc6dd59a901df1.jpg
    549327-00d11c31750926b4b3dc6dd59a901df1.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
As promised here it is as close as I can to the original minus the fancy paint someone else can tackle that one.1708991221147.png

Attachments

• Maxi Alpha.ork
    152.9 KB · Views: 0
Estes 24mm threaded motor retainer has been installed and the fillets are next. Parachute is complete. Thinking about nixing the black on the original scheme looking for a new paint scheme.

Filled and sanded the fins today for the primer possibly tomorrow and more sanding but I still have not decided on a paint scheme.

Maxi Alpha is currently getting a coat of gloss white and we are making the vinyl decals right now on the laser playing with Red and Black and the fin can will be gloss white.

Have you considered Cricut vinyl?
The laser cut looked pretty good, what problem did you have with it?

Difficult to apply accurately and smaller details were distorted by the backing removal process.
Were you using a clear transfer tape sheet on top? That holds all the parts together in their alignment when you remove them from the backing. Some of the smaller parts can still be tricky to lift off, not sure exactly what process you are using. I would think the little ® mark in the ESTES logo would be pretty near impossible to get, might be a bit too small for vinyl.

for example:

Back