DELETE

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 45779

Reaction score
This build thread will be my entry for the TRF Challenge #1: Estes Menace.
I will post all the files (stl, svg, ork, etc.) once the build is complete.
If all goes well, our next launch event is on 3/9, so might get a flight on record before the 3/15 deadline.

View attachment 632683

Super Menace Parts List
-----------------------------------
(1) NC-80B Nose Cone
(1) 23.5" BT-80 Body Tube
(2) 3/16" X 1" Launch Lugs
(1) 6" X 12" x 1/8" Balsa Sheet
(1) Intake Scoop (3D Printed)

(3) CR5080 Centering Rings
(1) 8" BTH-50 Engine Mount Tube
(1) CR2050 Engine Block Ring
(1) 24mm Threaded Motor Retainer (3D Printed)

(1) 18" or 24" Parachute
(1) 24" 250# Kevlar Cord
(1) 1/4" X 48" Elastic Shock Cord
(1) #4 Ball Bearing Fishing Swivel

Engine Mount Assembly

View attachment 633064

1) Glued the CR5080 rings (with nice fillets both sides) to the BTH-50 Engine Mount Tube at 1/2", 3-3/4", and 7-7/8" from the bottom end.

2) The BTH-50 is foil lined, so mixed up small batch of epoxy and set CR2050 Engine Block using my 3D printed engine dummy.
The engine dummy has 2 grooves. The groove closest to one end is where 5/16" from end of an E engine and the upper groove for D engine if so chosen to not make E capable. Then the dummy can be snapped apart at the grooves to leave a D to E engine spacer. Also used the epoxy to glue on the 24mm Threaded Motor Retainer.

3) Cut a small hole in the upper CR5080 ring for the Kevlar cord to tie around the engine mount, then wrapped it up and stuffed in side the tube to keep out of the way.

View attachment 633060 View attachment 633061 View attachment 633062 View attachment 633063

Cutting Fin Slots in Body Tube

View attachment 633089

I considered making a 3 fin variant, but decided to go with the original 4 design. However, I designed a paper fin marking template, that has both 3 and 4 fin layouts, and also a 3D printed a version. The rear fin slots are 7/16" to 2-1/4", and the wing slots are 6-3/8" to 7-7/8", from the bottom. Using a fresh knife blade, cut the slots, then made sure the top CR5080 ring lines up with the top of the wing slot, and the bottom CR5080 ring lines up with bottom of the fin slots.

View attachment 633090 View attachment 633091 View attachment 633092 View attachment 633093 View attachment 633094

Preparing the Fins

To make the fins, I used Inkscape to trace the images from Jimz site and create an svg to use with my laser cutter and the 6" X 12" x 1/8" balsa sheet (10W diode laser, 300mm/min @ 50% power, 1 pass).

View attachment 633245

I also have started papering fins using permanent adhesive Avery label paper, so also used the laser to cut those. 1800mm/min @ 50% power cuts just through the paper but not the backing.

View attachment 633246

After lightly sanding edges and surfaces, I use an extreme sticky lint roller to remove the dust from the surfaces and apply the papering.

View attachment 633247

I round the leading edges after papering, the use CA to strengthen and seal the edges (except the root edge). Then let the CA cure and sand the edges very lightly with a very fine sandpaper.

View attachment 633248

Lugs and Intake Scoop

I like to use Quick & Thick for the final fillets and tuck the launch lugs up against a fin for extra bonding surface.

View attachment 634104

I made just a few prototypes before settling on which 3D printed intake scoop design.

View attachment 634107

The one I went with is printed flat .6mm thick (3 layers @ .2mm), with edges beveled to match tube, and grooves .2mm deep to "fold" the plastic, and weighs about 7g.

View attachment 634109 View attachment 634108 View attachment 634110

After folding the plastic, I went ahead and papered it and left about 1/8" overhang along the edges that meet the tube, then used Quick & Thick on the beveled edges to attach to the tube.

View attachment 634111 View attachment 634112

Looks amazing! Very good idea to do the intake thin and light, makes for less corkscrew/ bad weight distribution. I like cool upscale threads!

Last edited:
I really like the nozzle you made for it. The menace is by no means a "high performance" rocket, so I would not be so worried about weight. I do not think that 10 grams would be enough to make you decide not to fly it with the nozzle. I would fly it. Whatever you decide, the rocket is still very, very cool and that is all that matters!

Recovery

View attachment 635131

I wanted to use a 24" parachute for this bird and the ones I have on hand are the "self assemble" kind, which turned out to be one of the more challenging parts of this build....tying 8 tiny bowline knots with shaky hands and bad eyes. Evened up the lines and tied them in a loop about a inch from the end, then put the loop thru the eye of the bearing swivel.

View attachment 635132 View attachment 635133

I pull the Kevlar cord thru the body tube and thread a foam ear plug on for protection, then tie to the elastic shock cord using a "double-uni" type knot for those fishermen out there.

View attachment 635134

I tie the elastic shock cord to the nose cone and then clip the bearing swivel and it's ready to be packed.

View attachment 635135

Decals

View attachment 635482
Ack I'm naked!

I used the svg provided by @Aeva in the TRF Challenge thread as a base, scaled, added a few more, and laser printed on clear peel-n-stick decal paper. Then got out the exacto knife...

View attachment 635484 View attachment 635485

30+ decals later....

View attachment 635486 View attachment 635487 View attachment 635489

I will probably put a clear coat on tomorrow, and that basically finishes my build.
Our launch last Saturday was scrubbed due to weather, but might be re-scheduled for this Saturday 3/16.
I will post all files (stl, svg, pdf, etc) tomorrow morning.

As promised, attached are all the files I used in this build for 3D printing, laser cutting, and decal printing.

It was my first time using OpenRocket, so I just used a "tube-fin" to simulate the scoop and overrode the weight to 7g...and K'Tesh already crushed the ork.

Also, here are links to my tinks:

Retainers:
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/gS...e=pWTrejvPSPopqs80bTMATdkB6kOLBPBauNlawSPtKt8

Intake Scoop:
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/1A...e=x7cODSDt2hWhClf6W2afQEvWgZ0vWeBBGVDKPmUYmJQ

Fins, Rings, Engine Dummy, Tube Slot Jig
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/55...e=Xy3SEap6F98pjn1iISlHMqsKjcpGamxoW2OMruTDruI

It weighs 267g with an E12-6 loaded, which is 25g more than the sim says. :/

View attachment 635571

Hoping to get to fly tomorrow!

If you have deleted your posts, I cannot judge your project for the contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back