ESTES Pro Series Parts Assortment.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractionengines

Jack of all trades, Master of... (oh never mind)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw this. Seems like a good deal at $70.00, based on what they have been pricing and selling all the PSII new kits, and "bring back" specials at.

https://estesrockets.com/products/pro-series-ii™-parts-assortment?_pos=24&_sid=ba2159237&_ss=r
Introducing the Pro Series Parts Assortment - a comprehensive toolkit for rocket enthusiasts of all levels.

This assortment includes:

• 1 - BT70 Plastic Blow Mold Nose Cone
  • 1 - BT80 Plastic Blow Mold Nose Cone
  • 1 - BT70 to BT80 Plastic Blow Mold Adapter
  • 2 - BT70 24" Body Tube
  • 2 - BT80 24" Body Tube
  • 2 - BT70 3" Tube Coupler
  • 2 - BT80 3" Tube Coupler
  • 2 - 24mm 3.5" Engine Mount Tubes
  • 2 - 24mm Engine Retainer Set
  • 2 - 29mm Engine Retainer Set
  • 1 - 24mm to 29mm Engine Adaptor Set
  • 1 - BT70 24mm Centering Rings
  • 1 - BT80 24mm Centering Rings
  • 4 - Rail Guides
  • 1 - BT70 29mm Centering Rings
  • 1 - BT80 29mm Centering Rings
  • 2 - BT70 Plywood Bulk Head
  • 2 - BT80 Plywood Bulk Head
  • 2 - Shockcord Mounts
  • 2 - Bulk Head Screw Eye
  • 4 - 12"x4"x1/8" Balsa Sheets
  • 1 - 18" Red Nylon Parachute
  • 1 - 15" Red Nylon Parachute
  • 1 - BT-70 Fin Marking Template
  • 2 - 29mm 8" Engine Mount Tubes
  • 2 - Shock Cords

And that PNC-70 is the same cone used on the Titan IIIE.

It has been part of the TARC part assortments for many years.

kj

The current TARC challenge requires two different diameters with the lower section being larger. The specs strongly suggest using BT-80 for the lower section and BT-70 for the payload section, so that assortment sure looks like it’s aimed at this year’s TARC.

And that PNC-70 is the same cone used on the Titan IIIE.

It has been part of the TARC part assortments for many years.

kj
Interesting.

Wish they could provide a better picture of it...I'm really curious about that BT-70 nose cone as there are practically no plastic ones available that aren't made of foam or aren't some hideous 7:1 ogive or something.

Also, is that 15" nylon parachute a new offering?

Last edited:
Interesting.

Wish they could provide a better picture of it...I'm really curious about that BT-70 nose cone as there are practically no plastic ones available that aren't made of foam or aren't some hideous 7:1 ogive or something.

Also, is that 15" nylon parachute a new offering?

Could be a little foreshortened, but the smaller NC in the kit looks like a possible candidate for a 227% Alpha III upscale.

Looked a little more closely at the parts list. If it ends up being available through ACSupply, it may actually be a reasonable price for the collection of stuff. Just hope the balsa is flat.

Also, those chutes may be way too small for rockets this big, especially carrying a payload.

https://estesrockets.com/cdn/shop/files/9987_ProSeries_PartsAssortment.png
9987_ProSeries_PartsAssortment.png

Interesting.

Check out the one from Rocketarium:
https://www.rocketarium.com/Build/Nose-Cones/NC-70I've used several of them and will buy more. It is a little on the heavy side compared to the typical Estes plastic cone.

Never saw "rail guides" from Estes either....can't quite zoom in enough to see what they are.

I think TARC requires rails too so this is supporting it being geared to that.

Could be a little foreshortened, but the smaller NC in the kit looks like a possible candidate for a 227% Alpha III upscale.

Looked a little more closely at the parts list. If it ends up being available through ACSupply, it may actually be a reasonable price for the collection of stuff. Just hope the balsa is flat.

Also, those chutes may be way too small for rockets this big, especially carrying a payload.

https://estesrockets.com/cdn/shop/files/9987_ProSeries_PartsAssortment.png
9987_ProSeries_PartsAssortment.png
If they have a BT-70 plastic nose cone that's in the shape of the Alpha III nose cone, Estes needs to shut up and take my money!

Or maybe I'll ask someone who's bought this "special" if they'll be willing to sell me that nose cone on its own (doubtful).

Never saw "rail guides" from Estes either....can't quite zoom in enough to see what they are.

Yes, TARC has required rails for two or three years now. I'm curious about those guides, too, as this would be a first for Estes (I think) since the C-rail of the late 1960s which could use a regular1/8 inch lug on top of a 1/16 inch dowel as the rail guide.

I got confirmation from Estes support this morning that the PNC-70 in the PSII assortment is a new design, not the old Titan IIIE version. As is the new transition from BT-80 to BT-70.

kj

This is about as good a view as I could get, getting down to the level of a handful of pixels and then scaling back up so it's visible. Changed the background to make the guides more visible. Looks to me like they might have two levels to them, perhaps so they can be trimmed to fit either 10-10 or 15-15? Or that may just be an artifact of blowing up the image. Edit: or maybe they're designed to ride both inside and outside of the groove of a 10-10?
estes_rail_guides.jpg

This is about as good a view as I could get, getting down to the level of a handful of pixels and then scaling back up so it's visible. Changed the background to make the guides more visible. Looks to me like they might have two levels to them, perhaps so they can be trimmed to fit either 10-10 or 15-15? Or that may just be an artifact of blowing up the image. Edit: or maybe they're designed to ride both inside and outside of the groove of a 10-10?
View attachment 613164

I’m guessing the “duplex” design lets the upper guide work without needing a separate stand-off to accommodate larger diameter payload sections.

I got confirmation from Estes support this morning that the PNC-70 in the PSII assortment is a new design, not the old Titan IIIE version. As is the new transition from BT-80 to BT-70.

kj

A new -70 nose cone is great news! I’ve said more than once that Estes. should be creating more BT-70 designs, it’s a nice tube size for bigger but not THAT much bigger rockets.

I’m guessing the “duplex” design lets the upper guide work without needing a separate stand-off to accommodate larger diameter payload sections.
Very good point. I bet you're right.
A new -70 nose cone is great news! I’ve said more than once that Estes. should be creating more BT-70 designs, it’s a nice tube size for bigger but not THAT much bigger rockets.
Indeed, it's a lovely size of tube, and I wish it were more commonly used. Can be built light for good, high flights, but big enough to stay visible pretty high. Great for clusters as well as single motors, 7x18 and 3x24. I hope Estes will make the cone available separately just for more options.

Indeed, it's a lovely size of tube, and I wish it were more commonly used. Can be built light for good, high flights, but big enough to stay visible pretty high. Great for clusters as well as single motors, 7x18 and 3x24. I hope Estes will make the cone available separately just for more options.

7x18! Guess everything is bigger n’ better in Texas! 😆

7x18! Guess everything is bigger n’ better in Texas! 😆
My existing 7x18 in BT-70 was originally started by a local rocketeer, Bob Wilson, who died before finishing it. I adopted it from the DARS stash, completed it (changing the design a bit to match my "style" of rocket), and named it "Handoff." I never met Bob, but a number of friends I've made since I came back to rocketry knew him well, and it was always an honor to put that rocket in the air. I flew it umpteen times before a bad packing job on my part caused a lawdart that kinked the tubes badly.

Tons of fun to light 7 C6s and let them all go whoosh up to 700-800 feet (for between us, Bob and I built that bird heavy!). I sorely miss flying it and need to get to the rebuild soon. I suspect @samb is happy he can (temporarily) buy C6-7s at our local Hobby Lobby though, instead of my stripping the shelves bare every week or two. 😂 I also have another 7x18 in BT-70 on the drawing board, and an even larger 18mm cluster in the works too, so Sam, buy those motors while you can. :D

I just pinged Estes CS about the NC-70 availability as an individual component.
The response:
Unfortunately the BT-70 Nose Cone will not be sold separately and will only be available with the Pro Series II™ Parts Assortment exclusively despite feedback from TRF and other sources.

Don't you have a printer to get up and running?
Yep. Months behind on that though. How can I get my printer set up when I'm so busy hoarding parts?
BMS has several nice looking -70 balsa cones but they are a bit pricey. Though their 1.9:1 ogive 70G isn’t too bad at $11.99.
A friend gave me some nice balsa BT-70 cones that might have been from BMS. I've lately been stuffing trackers in the nose of my mid-power builds though, so I'm always on the hunt for more sources of plastic cones of various sizes.

If anyone ends up buying this and doesn't want or need the 15" nylon parachute, please let me know. I may be interested in buying it if it comes individually packaged.

Seller goldhunter1001 on fleabay has a bunch of nylon parachutes discounted. Another member here has bought from him without issue.
Are those Estes branded? I'm looking to buy the specific parachute added to this parts assortment. As far as I know, this is the first time they've ever been sold by Estes in the 15" size.

I still wouldn't be surprised if that was a typo, although from the picture, I could see one of the parachutes being 15 inches.

Are those Estes branded? I'm looking to buy the specific parachute added to this parts assortment. As far as I know, this is the first time they've ever been sold by Estes in the 15" size.

I still wouldn't be surprised if that was a typo, although from the picture, I could see one of the parachutes being 15 inches.

No, I think they are Top Flight. Some might be red in color. I haven't gone through all his listings, as I stocked up from Rocketry Works during the clearance.

Back