FlisKits ACME Spitfire... Steampunk-style

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, Tony, I flew it! I would have tried a few more flights today on some different reloads, but our launch got rained out early.

Flying it wasn't scary at all. What scares me more is trying to figure out how to make it look weathered without ruining it.

All the black smoke from that little Black Jack motor was cool. The girl who owns the Nantucket Sound on the adjacent pad said hers had some soot on the deck.

I think it might need a touch more nose weight as it had a slight wobble. And the advertised 3 second delay was an eternity. I may have actually had the wrong delay grain in there since it was well on its way down when the charge went off.

Love that black smoke! Tony and I were talking about you today as he launched *his* ACME. Tony was wondering if you were actually going to fly it (at least I *think* that was Tony I had that conversation with... :) ) I assured him that you would...

...and you DID!
Well Jim... it wasn't me. ;)

Jeff, Nice launch photos.
The E11 black smoke looks like it's from the coal fire boiling the steam. :)

Thanks, Tony! Next time I should try a White Lightning to look like steam!

Love that black smoke! Tony and I were talking about you today as he launched *his* ACME. Tony was wondering if you were actually going to fly it (at least I *think* that was Tony I had that conversation with... :) ) I assured him that you would...

...and you DID!

I tried to talk Jeff out of flying it, but he has nerves of steel. I had suggested that he place this gorgeous rocket in a locked case, where it could be seen but not touched.

Now that it has been safely launched and recovered, I'll admit that it was a very cool flight! Pictures just don't do it justice...

Jim - I bet Jeff could be convinced to fly it at NARAM so you can see the launch in person!

Carol

Well Jim... it wasn't me. ;)

Well, of COURSE not!... LOL Man, I either gotta start taking notes or stop telling stories... LOL

Man, that is one BADA$$ rocket! One of the coolest and most interesting I've ever seen!

I flew this one again yesterday on an E11J reload. This is the same motor I used last time I flew it, but this time I drilled out a few seconds of the delay element. It seeemed to have a better flight this time, with the deployment opening a little sooner, but I still think it could have been drilled out even a bit more. I love all that black smoke!

Spitfire.jpg

Thanks, Jim.

I might try it on an E18 White Lightning at the July MASA launch.

Very, very nice. Both the quality of workmanship and the imagination of design enhancements. :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks, SMR. And the same to you about your Jayhawk Spitfire!

Here is another shot of my most recent flight. Photo courtesy of Carol Marple.

Carol's Picture - Copy.jpg

OK, I'm inspired to build my own ACME Spitfire steam-powered baby. They do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....

In fact, my wife liked the spitfire so much that she's willing to build her own version (a first!), as well as my son. So we'll have a family fleet of them someday.

It may take a while though - many other things to do and build first. Perhaps a winter project. I will keep my eyes open for some interesting bits and pieces that might look neat on the model. I have a vision of a hemispherical viewing window- sort of Captain Nemo/Nautalis sub looking.... and a hatch with a sub-style wheel to open it....

Hutch.... A hatch with a sub-style wheel will be awesome on your Spitfire! I looked around for things just like that as I was building mine. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find half the things I was imagining.

Post pictures of your Spitfire family when you get them done (even if we do need to wait until winter). There is also another thread that is a photo album of everyone's Spitfires, so post them there too!

It's gotta be a hoot watching this thing fly. Thanx for the pix and keep'em coming :)

It is a hoot, but I find myself holding my breath and crossing my fingers until it's safely recovered. And it's not even my rocket!

Hey Jim Flis - these ACME wraps came along with a free lunch....

Product can wraps are a popular theme and they are always so different! I've seen Hormel chili wrapers, campbel soup wrapers and more :) This one is very cool too! I love'em

It is a hoot, but I find myself holding my breath and crossing my fingers until it's safely recovered. And it's not even my rocket!

Yep, I know the feeling when I watch some of our club members launch beautiful models that clearly have LOTS of time in them... LOL

jim

Yep, I know the feeling when I watch some of our club members launch beautiful models that clearly have LOTS of time in them... LOL

jim
So I'm helping you out by not getting you stressed when my rockets launch?

So I'm helping you out by not getting you stressed when my rockets launch?

You betcha!

LOL

No, that's mean LOL. Actually, I've seen you loose or damage *paper* rockets that often have more time in them than regular kits, so... :)

Then there's Bill.... If he isn't stressing me out with beautiful models, it's gliders and odd-rocs.... ...man... :D

Over a year later, several flights and a few repairs, I FINALLYgot around to adding some weathering that I wanted to do from the start.

Rust and grime....

Cruise0113 - Copy.jpg

Cruise0114 - Copy.jpg

Cruise0115 - Copy.JPG

Jeff,

I didn't think you could make your ACME look any better but WOW!!!
Beautiful!!!
The weathering is the cherry on top! :)

Fantastic the weathering is superb. Mine is still in the plastic it came in. it may be coming out now for some time on the bench.

-Z

What can I say.........Unreal,wicked,too cool....Have a display stand with a small bucket,shovel and lumps of coal.....

Jeff,

I didn't think you could make your ACME look any better but WOW!!!
Beautiful!!!
The weathering is the cherry on top! :)

Ditto times-two what Tony said. Man! I remember seeing this in person when you sent it to me for NARCON and I was stunned. This is up an order of magnitude or more on "stunned". Simply incredible...

Can I post these on our site under the ACME page? I think it would be an incredible addition to that page!

I think you have taken rocketry to the level of art. Magnificent!

Back