Another ACME Spitfire build thread?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any chance you could fit the altimeter in the nose cone?
I could, but hopefully the intrepid Spaceman Spiff will be piloting the ship from there!
As well, that would require some reworking - the kit nose cone is a rolled piece of card stock with an "off-centering" ring and a solid balsa coupler glued into it for strength.
I'm hoping to 3d print the nose cone, or something, so I can put the windows in for Spiff's cockpit. Somehow!

I could, but hopefully the intrepid Spaceman Spiff will be piloting the ship from there!
As well, that would require some reworking - the kit nose cone is a rolled piece of card stock with an "off-centering" ring and a solid balsa coupler glued into it for strength.
I'm hoping to 3d print the nose cone, or something, so I can put the windows in for Spiff's cockpit. Somehow!
Isn’t there a nomex blanket for the altimeter so you can attach it to the shock cord? Then you just need a small vent to the laundry compartment.

Last edited:
Isn’t there a nomex blanket for the altimeter so you can attach it to the shock cord? Then you just need a small vent to the laundry compartment.
Well, there is, but then it doesn't fit into the BT-50 motor tube. Besides, when you do it that way you get a pressure spike in your data from the ejection. I figure that can't be all that good for the sensors. I figure the HP guys make access panels all the time, maybe I'll have a look over there. Besides, 1st Tiger Hobbes has to have quarters onboard, that's what I figured to label the hatch!

I stumbled upon the ancient stone monolith that was the inspiration for the Acme Spitfire....

View attachment 611751
Holy smokes! It IS the Spitfire!

Elsewhere on the beach (and apparently not too far away), the basalt columns are vertical!
1698279625931.jpeg

And here we thought @jflis got his inspiration from the Far Side cartoon! ;)

Altimeter storage..... have you thought of this? Basically it's a compartment in the thru-the-wall fin can area.

001.JPG003.JPG

I'm just going to bump my own thread to let everyone know that as soon as I get my nose cone design finished and (hopefully) 3D printed, the show will continue!

Last edited:
So when you're using a metal straightedge and a razor knife, you can make the straight cuts all at once.
View attachment 604691

For the curvy ones, though, I'll just get my wife's best sewing scissors... OW! STOP IT SWEETIE, I WAS JUST KIDDING! OW!! OW!!!

(Tom will be back after he's recovered from his concussion.)
Been there done that, much smarter now!!

Well, I don't know what kind of rocketeer I am... I've been piddling around with a bunch of stuff, including a 50 year-old-plus WAC Corporal kit, a 1:100 scale 1903 Wright Flyer static model, and my 50 year-old-plus HO scale race track. All the while, fluttering around in the back of my head, is this build. And I finally made some progress!

In addition to the nose cone issue, I wanted to make a compartment for my Flightsketch mini. This would be in the 4th tube segment, and the door would be decorated as the entry to quarters for 1st Tiger Hobbes. After rolling this around and around and around in my poor noggin, I finally came up with a plan and have begun execution of said plan.

1st, I made a mount for the FS mini, shown here before final sizing and fitting:
20240205_220210_cr.jpg

Then I sized and cut the doorway in BTS #4:
20240212_213152.jpg

I had previously cut a coupling tube to match the bottom of BTS #4. Now I glued the cut-out door to the (what I thought was) the proper angular position - and I was very close to 100% correct except... I was 180° off!
20240212_214125.jpg

Now the observant reader can see a red line diagonally across the top left of the coupler segment. That is to be removed so that this whole door and sleeve can slide vertically inside BTS #4. I will cut an opening and put little bars across it to serve as a tiger cage/ pressure relief so the FS mini can do its thing. Thus as well the door positioning is on the pure vertical side of the tube.

But the finished sled for the FS mini was much smaller and had a preferred poistioning that was thrown off by my stupidly cutting the door opening on the wrong side. This turned out to be a genuine Bob Ross Happy Accident. If I turned it over, everything was perfect; the sled was now on top and would keep the mini from possible getting thrown free by flight forces. Here we go:

20240212_220515.jpg

Next chance I get, I'll trim the coupling tube and verify door operation and that I really can get the FS mini in and out, then glue BTS #4 in place, along with off-centering ring #5, with the door segment trapped inside. And YES! I WILL wait for the glue to dry in BTS #4, I'm NOT going to glue my sliding door assembly in place!

Well, now I must get going on the nose cone assembly. Because I have a severe case of gap-osis at the top of body tube section 4 (BTS#4).
20240215_111740.jpg

Nothing I do makes BTS #4 align with ring 5 and also fit down below properly. I suspect that I'm a victim of tolerance stack-up. So I'll have to see how the nose cone assembly fits over all this before finalizing the assembly of the door, BTS#4 and ring 5.

But I did trim the coupler and test the door. As I suspected, I had to cut the coupler tube to a "C" shape to allow the door to open easily. Conservation of mass, you know...
20240215_104234.jpg

So back over to my plea for help in the 3D printing section here. See if I can get Spaceman Spiff and his capsule printed and/or built.

And another issue has cropped up. As I was test fitting the nose block and nose cone, it seemed the BT-50 body tube protrudes too far from the top of the stack:1000003925.jpg
1000003925.jpg
This leaves the nose cone to too high, producing a gap that I'm sure doesn't belong there:
1000003926.jpg
So I'll have to cut a small amount off of the end of the tube to close that gap. Have any other Spitfire owners seen this?

And another issue has cropped up. As I was test fitting the nose block and nose cone, it seemed the BT-50 body tube protrudes too far from the top of the stack:View attachment 631022
View attachment 631022
This leaves the nose cone to too high, producing a gap that I'm sure doesn't belong there:
View attachment 631023
So I'll have to cut a small amount off of the end of the tube to close that gap. Have any other Spitfire owners seen this?
Yes that tube is too long. You’ll have to take some of that off for the nosecone to mount where it needs to go. Same thing in my kit. 🥰🚀🚀🚀

Well, now I must get going on the nose cone assembly. Because I have a severe case of gap-osis at the top of body tube section 4 (BTS#4).
View attachment 630949

Nothing I do makes BTS #4 align with ring 5 and also fit down below properly. I suspect that I'm a victim of tolerance stack-up. So I'll have to see how the nose cone assembly fits over all this before finalizing the assembly of the door, BTS#4 and ring 5.

But I did trim the coupler and test the door. As I suspected, I had to cut the coupler tube to a "C" shape to allow the door to open easily. Conservation of mass, you know...
View attachment 630950

So back over to my plea for help in the 3D printing section here. See if I can get Spaceman Spiff and his capsule printed and/or built.
I don’t remember having that kind of a gap there.

Much thanks, Joe! So the nose cone ring should just touch the top of the #4 Body tube section, right?
The nose cone ring on mine doesn’t really completely touch the top of BT 4.

Attachments

• IMG_0492.jpeg
    IMG_0492.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0493.jpeg
    IMG_0493.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0494.jpeg
    IMG_0494.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0495.jpeg
    IMG_0495.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
The nose cone ring on mine doesn’t really completely touch the top of BT 4.
Thanks for the pictures, Joe. I meant that it touched pretty much only at the apex of BT 4, by the toothpick, and that's what your pictures show. Much appreciated!

So now to proceed according to Joe Bunda's Fab Shop General Drawing Notes:
  1. Cut to suit.
  2. Beat to fit.
  3. Weld to hold.
  4. Fill cracks with paint.

Back